Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Lyman Cast Data - Bullseye powder and 357 Magnum

Lyman Cast Data - Bullseye powder and 357 Magnum

Lyman’s cast bullet manual has Bullseye powder loadings for many Lyman bullets, notably, 358477, 358156GC and 358429 Keith.

They get some nice mid range velocity loads (1,000-1,100 fps) using these bullets with Bullseye.

I’ve never used Bullseye in 357 Mag mid range loadings. Has anyone out there used Bullseye and cast bullets of 150 gr to 170 grs? Any suggestions on experiences is greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master

The Lyman data is what I use and it works just fine for me. Great for punching paper.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Bullseye is my favorite powder in .38/.357. It's a proven powder for the last 100+ years, and I've got enough on the shelf to hold me over for a good long while.

I've got an RCBS 38-150-SWC mold that's very close to Lyman's 358477. That bullet will just plain shoot in all of my guns. The RCBS 38-158-CM is a close second.

3.0 grains BE in .38
    6.0 grains BE in .357

Works for me but no guarantees! Always be cautious and safe.

Good data and good loads. Why use more powder when less (faster) will do? Powder is gold these days.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Good data and good loads. Why use more powder when less (faster) will do? Powder is gold these days.
    That’s right! I shoot mainly 38 Special High Velocity loads (aka 38-44, approx 1,100 fps in 6 inch tubes) in my 357 Mag…a 158 gr bullet at 1,000 fps in my 4 5/8 inch BH is plenty powerful for range work and high desert plinking

Boolit Buddy

A guy who joined our local gun club had an interesting approach to the problem. He pulled the bullet from a factory 357 Mag round. Carefully poured the powder into neat pile. Now the wizzard poured his available powder untill he had a similar pile. Put into primed case and seated new bullets. No one hurt and gun survived, but got severe talk to. GW