Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Anybody Carry a Kimber K6S 4-inch?

Boolit Master

Anybody Carry a Kimber K6S 4-inch?

I've been reading about these lately and I really like the idea of the extra 6th shot compared to my J-frame. My hangup is that my Model 60 has fully-adjustable sights and none of the 3" Kimbers do, you've got to jump to the 4" Target model to get those. I really loathe guns without adjustable sights so it's kind of a deal-killer for me. Does anybody carry the 4" Target model? I like having the 3" S&W in an appendix IWB holster, and I'm open to the idea of the longer barrel, I've just never carried quite that long a barrel so I don't know how it will feel.

No way to get adjustable sights without the exposed hammer, is there?
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    Although I do not share your contempt for fixed sights, there is darned little difference between a 4 inch and a 3 inch if carried IWB. I have a 3 inch Detective Special II and a 4 inch Police Positive Special, and I can carry either with equal comfort in a Summer Special holster. If you go this route, you definitely want a summer special, with the two straps offset from the holster's thickest point. I can not for the life of me understand why some holster makers persist in sewing the clip on the thickest part of the holster. "I know, let's take a revolver with an inch and a quarter cylinder and add 3/4's of an inch of leather to it. That'll make it conceal better." The holster will add some width, but the straps or clips should not.

I don't own a Kimber, but I do have about a dozen 2 inch and 3 inch revolvers and regularly carry them. The Kimbers are a little too heavy for a 38 and too light for a 357, not unlike the new Colt Cobras in my view. I do like the hexagonal cylinder concept. That makes a lot of sense, reducing bulk without sacrificing strength.

Now, if carried in a Galco Miami Classic or in an OWB, for me the 4 inch becomes troublesome, I am 6' and go about 215 lbs. Unless I am wearing a suit jacket or a very long tailed shirt, the 4 inch barrel will create a "peekaboo" situation. It will not be well concealed.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 06-27-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

While I have not carried the Kimber, I also have a model 60 3" with adjustable sights and consider it to be my finest trail/bumming around gun. There is a world of difference between it and the 4" model 681 I also use a lot. It is lighter, easier to conceal if necessary, and I actually shoot it a bit better with .38's. Not an exact answer to your question, but I don't really consider the 5 vs 6 rounds as a significant factor.

That said, I've handled the Kimber revolver and it seems very nice. I wouldn't fault anyone for carrying it. Not as graceful as the 60 though.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I have the 4 inch target model and consider it the perfect revolver for my lifestyle. I don’t conceal any revolver, and mine has a Simply Rugged sourdough holster that is perfect carried around my property. We don’t have large predators here in AL, so the 38/357 will work for anything I need. I really like the 44 and 45 calibers, but appreciate less lead going down range with every shot. Flatter and more easily hidden 9mm and 45 pistols are my carry choices, but I don’t like hunting brass out in the woods. The trigger on mine is almost as good as my forty year old Smith Model 19, and I think the Kimber is the perfect M19 substitute. I’ll shoot far more 38 than 357, but like having the capability.
    The S&W 69 I’ve been looking for more than two years may change my mind, but not yet.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    I have the 4" Combat model with fixed sights and like it. I generally prefer adjustable sights by a wide margin but the fixed sights on the DASA models are the best I've ever seen. They are very similar to a Novak setup. I have shot the 4" target modal and prefer the sights on mine. I'm not a fan of the fiber optic front sight and sight picture of the rear sight is just as good as the target model.