Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Lee 452-300: Witch Crimp to Groove - length

Boolit Mold

Lee 452-300: Witch Crimp to Groove - length

Hello to all,

does anybody own the Lee 452-300 mold and could tell me the length from the top of the boolit down to the first and second crimp groove?

I want to buy one of the double-cavity-molds for making heavy boolits for my small Ruger SuperRedhawk Alaskan.
    The GasCheck I want to ream out to use the boolits without GasCheck.
    The maximum length of the cartridge in my revolver is 46.00mm (1,81“) and I want to use the normal length .454 Casull cases.

So, before buying and „destroying“ the mold with a sharp knife, would somebody please be so friendly with a brandnew boolitcaster and help me with this question?

Best regards, and sorry for my babylike english, I’m not experienced in your language and it’s really hard for me to write about such special stuff like casting in this, for me, foreign language.
    In the german language area casting isn’t widespread, so I’m reading in this, your Forum since about one year to learn how to handle the tools and how to cast.

I try my best to find lines they could be understandable in my thoughts.

The Lee 300 grain mould is a good choice for heavy loads. I think you’re worrying too much about which crimp groove to use. Nose to crimp groove is 0.320” or 0.290”.

Boolit Grand Master

Your English is just fine ... thought's are coming through loud and clear ...
    ... in fact you are doing better than a few native born English speakers .

Welcome to the forum from Baton Rouge Louisiana !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Fzr1000
    Welcome to the Castboolits sir.
    I have a Lee double cavity 225 grain truncated cone 45 caliber. I really dislike bevel base boolits. I won't go into detail, but they just add another issue to contend with when sizing them. With that being said, I decided to remove the bevel base section of each cavity on my mold. I had a pair of magnifier glasses to help my aging eyes. I used a very small (Uncle Henry) pocket knife. Sharpened it to razor sharp. Working slow and meticulous, I was able to remove the bevel base section. Assuming you are going to size them, if you should happen to remove to much of the gas check section of the mould cavity, you will bring that section of the cast boolit back to size when you size it. Hope this help.
    Jack
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Fzr1000
    Welcome to the Castboolits sir.
    I have a Lee double cavity 225 grain truncated cone 45 caliber. I really dislike bevel base boolits. I won't go into detail, but they just add another issue to contend with when sizing them. With that being said, I decided to remove the bevel base section of each cavity on my mold. I had a pair of magnifier glasses to help my aging eyes. I used a very small (Uncle Henry) pocket knife. Sharpened it to razor sharp. Working slow and meticulous, I was able to remove the bevel base section. Assuming you are going to size them, if you should happen to remove to much of the gas check section of the mould cavity, you will bring that section of the cast boolit back to size when you size it. Hope this help.
    Jack
    Hello Jack,

that’s the plan I will try to do, sharp little pocket knife and reaming out the GC-Part of the aluminum mold.
    If it’s working fine there’s the next step to be happy with growing a boolit caster, if not I learned my lesson too and crashed a few euros.
    But for practicing the cheap lee 2-cav-mold is perfect I think.

Boolit Master

I don't think you should have any problem. The aluminum used in those moulds is extruded in one long piece then cut to length, so it is very soft. All the best in your
    endevor.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.