Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Alox,m

Boolit Buddy

Alox,m

I’ve been using Alox for about three decades now. I’ve always mixed it with LOTS of mineral spirits. Like everyone else, I’ve learned the point of diminishing returns is “almost none is more than enough”.

Aside from the smell & mess & smoke & grossness, has anyone ever actually glopped enough to affect accuracy? How much did it take?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I was using Alox, I would coat my boolits once, then gas check them and coat again. It’s possible I was going overboard, but I was making sure I had enough. I never noticed any significant difference between jacked bullets and Alox boolits as far as accuracy was concerned. You may not need a lot of Alox, but I don’t think it has a negative effect.

Alox builds up in the seating die. Changes OAL. Not good when loading 500 rounds with a progressive.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Alox builds up in the seating die. Changes OAL. Not good when loading 500 rounds with a progressive.
    Sure. And mine always seemed to pull every dog hair from a 100 yards around. It was like trying to chamber a mini troll doll.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC6EE39E-1110-4031-A5F1-ABA1E2051F34.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	301561
    Last edited by ChuckJaxFL; 06-26-2022 at 10:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Not if you've mixed and applied it properly.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckJaxFL View Post
    Sure. And mine always seemed to pull every dog hair from a 100 yards around. It was like trying to chamber a mini troll doll.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC6EE39E-1110-4031-A5F1-ABA1E2051F34.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	301561
    I once dropped a whole lot of freshly tumble lubed 9mm boolets on the floor, were my German Shepherd liked to lay and keep me company. Oh yea it was shedding season so these boolets were covered in dog hair! I picked most of the hair off ( these boolets looked like they had a fur coat on!). I went ahead and loaded up a couple hundred and took em off to the range. After about the first mag or so (17 round mag) the guy shooten at the lane next to me pipes up and says “ what is that? It smells like a wet dog in here!” I just keep on shooting! The other guy left quite quickly!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckJaxFL View Post
    I’ve been using Alox for about three decades now. I’ve always mixed it with LOTS of mineral spirits. Like everyone else, I’ve learned the point of diminishing returns is “almost none is more than enough”.

Aside from the smell & mess & smoke & grossness, has anyone ever actually glopped enough to affect accuracy? How much did it take?
    Ranch Dog would dip lube with straight LLA. I don't think you can use too much in regards to accuracy.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...nch-Dog-Method
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Lee Alox
    Lee Alox- Don't warm the whole bottle. Put the amount you want to use in a tiny plastic cup. Warm while it sits in the almost boiling water. This keeps the whole bottle from getting thick , like grease. Pour in plastic bucket over bullets, that has a lid, and swirl around. Helps if bullets are warm.
    [IMG] [/IMG]
    https://support.leeprecision.net/en/search?query=Alox

Boolit Buddy

Alox,m

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Not if you've mixed and applied it properly.
    Yeah, but I’m clearly not talking about proper application.

Poppy nailed it. That’s a great story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk