Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: WWII C-I-L ammuntion - Corrosive Primers?

Boolit Master

WWII C-I-L ammuntion - Corrosive Primers?

I'm looking at a lot of Canadian 30-06 Ball from WWII. Packed in 20 round white carboard cartons, dated in March, 1942, it was made by the Dominion Ammunition Division of Canadian Industries Ltd (CIL) and headstamped "D.C. Co. 30 SPG" for Dominion Cartridge Co. .30 Springfield. I've looked through all my reference book (and online) and have found absolutely nothing specific after this ammo other than confirmation that CIL/Dominion did manufacture U.S. small arms ammo...30-06, .45 ACP, .50 BMG...during the war. No info pertaining to ammo specs, though.

Anyone have any idea if this stuff has corrosive or non-corrosive primers. For 'shooter' ammo, it doesn't make a lot of difference to me; back in the day, I shot a lot of corrosive-primed milsurp and can deal with the clean -up. For now, though, it'll make a difference in what I'm willing to pay for it.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If primers have nickle-plated cups they are normal commercial noncorrosive primers. If brass cups likely corrosive.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Most WWII ammo was corrosive primed. The primary exception was .30 Carbine ammo. Treat the .30-06 as corrosive...

If it's original stuff, I'd count on it being corrosive primed and clean accordingly.

A handy test I've heard of to test for them is get a bare steel plate,
    Then shoot just a primed case against it. Next, shoot a known new age primed case beside it.

Leave it out side for a day or two.
    If the impact spot of the one in question rusts way sooner than the new one-- it's a corrosive primer.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Without re-checking I think any military 30-06 made before about 1954 is generally corrosive. Not sure on the exact date but it is around that time period. I checked awhile back because I have several en-bloc clips of 1947 dated 30-06.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

When the war broke out all work in process components were diverted for war production where possible. I have some . 30-'06 AP and tracer in Browning fabric belts having aircraft ring crimp and being headstamped WRA Co. .270 Win. with nickel plated primers and blue annulus which are non corrosive.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Usually the corrosive primers were .250 in diameter and copper color. They did use them up into the fifties in 303.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Grand Master
    As usual Outpost75 taught me something in this thread. With that stated; I would treat all wartime .30-06 as corrosive primed, until proven otherwise.

It doesn't take all that much time, components or effort to clean a rifle after shooting corrosive primed ammo; but if it is corrosive primed and you don't treat it as such-- your rifle will not appreciate it.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Here's a link to a .pdf document that lists the changeover dates and Lot numbers for corrosive primers. Dominion made millions of rounds for the USG during the war. According to this reference, all .30-06 were non-corrosive.

http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/do...rimerRedux.pdf
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    The NRA Reloader book has a note that Dominion was misidentified as NC when some was in fact corrosive. according to Hatcher's Notebook Dominion did make NC 30/06 for the US, but production was in 1945. A 42 headstamp is likely corrosive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    As usual Outpost75 taught me something in this thread. With that stated; I would treat all wartime .30-06 as corrosive primed, until proven otherwise.

It doesn't take all that much time, components or effort to clean a rifle after shooting corrosive primed ammo; but if it is corrosive primed and you don't treat it as such-- your rifle will not appreciate it.

Robert
    Commercial non corrosive primers were nickel plated for identification. So were experimental non corrosive primers. Millions of red phosphorus P4 primers were loaded at FA, mostly AP-tracer in linked pack.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    The NRA Reloader book has a note that Dominion was misidentified as NC when some was in fact corrosive. according to Hatcher's Notebook Dominion did make NC 30/06 for the US, but production was in 1945. A 42 headstamp is likely corrosive.
    Looking at the pdf provided by nichol55, I noticed that discrepancy in dates. Ammo in question has a commercial headstamp "D.C.Co. .30 SPG" (no date) and primers are not plated but the plain, military-style cartons are stamped only with a "March, 1942" packing date without a lot # so I'm going to assume they're corrosive-primed and place my offer to buy accordingly.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Joe James is correct. I think American ammo was corrosive up until 1954 but some contractors switched over before 1954. It depends on caliber and contractor. But I would say 1942 is corrosive.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    Most WWII ammo was corrosive primed. The primary exception was .30 Carbine ammo. Treat the .30-06 as corrosive...
    Sage advice.
    Until tested for sure, consider it corrosive.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=15831

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Ancient military WWII ammo should be considered corrosive. Hot soapy water is cheap and effective at removing corrosive residue. Per the Old Army Manual, hot, soapy water works for all military arms from WWI and WWII now residing in pristine condition in my collection. I still clean my guns with hot, soapy water, dry patch and oil even when I am shooting current NC primed cast boolits.

Adam