Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .38-50 Remington Hepburn Grafs .30-40 brass

Bob,

I don't know what the Hornady are like for the .30-40 Krag but I found them to be short in other calibers. But this might be good for the .38-50 to keep the trimming the length down

The Winchester brass I won't complain about. It has shown very good accuracy despite the long freebore my chamber has that tends to throw a round out if I don't use a proper bullet for this chamber.
    Below are some ladder loads using Swiss and Olde Eynsford.

I pulled out the chronograph to see what this .38-50 pushes these 357 gr bullets. I just shot here on my 100 yard range that has been shooting the best on the 200 yard range with a couple different types of powder and loads.
    All the bullets were cast with my alloy I use that is a 1# roll of 95/5 no lead solder 95% tin/5% antimony and 18# lead except for the 5 rounds using Arnies WW/Linotype alloy. For some reason I got one round loaded in a 303 British case that got mixed in with the .30-40 Krag cases. The .303 Brit cases are .039" shorter. I would not have thought that they would slow the bullet down about 20 fps, but it did.
    The orange dot is 2". I seldom use the chronograph and I was surprised that the groups held tight at 100 yards like they did with the ES spread.
    I think bullet release has a lot to do with the ES. I will turn the necks as soon as I make the proper pilot for this caliber.
    The left target was shot from the 200 yd line.
    I'm starting to really like this little .38-50 Hep. I wish I would have had one sooner now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0840 3-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	302295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.08.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	302294
    Last edited by Lead pot; 07-18-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12