Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Ideal De-Capping / Expanding Pin

Boolit Mold

Ideal De-Capping / Expanding Pin

I need an Ideal de-capping/ expanding pin for an antique 44-40 reloading tool. I would also like to have a picture and specs on an original because I know finding one will be almost impossible so I might make one if I had the measurements and a pic to go by. Hope somebody can help…..

Boolit Grand Master
    MikeM, I don’t have one for a 44-40, but visualize a rod slightly smaller in diameter than the inside of the case. Early versions were bored in the end to accept a pin appropriate to go through the primer (flash) hole and held by a flush seated set screw. The length of the rod should fill the inside length of the case plus enough more to simulate the amount the bullet would extend plus a little more. This length is not really critical and while the earliest examples were just slightly beveled on the upper end, later ones were tapered to resemble the bullet nose shape... again, not really critical. Occasionally these bullet decamping pieces show up on eBay and other auction sites, so you can have a picture to help you visualize what you need.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    should a "peanut" from a Winchester tool work for the Ideal tool too? I have the specs for one of those.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, so now I am interested in buying the whole tool.. either Winchester or Ideal

Boolit Mold
    Got one !! Please remove post