Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Wanting to reload high velocity 9mm in 90gr

Boolit Bub

Question Wanting to reload high velocity 9mm in 90gr

These will be used in an AK platform not a traditional pistol

I read up on Sierra V-crown 90gr in a 9mm SBR making some velocities of over 2,000fps. I came across a video that showed amazing results of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McXv4ERqptg

My question is does anyone make a good 90gr 9mm mold that I could use to dial in my loads so I don't waste a lot of V-crown projectiles? Or even use the lead as an alternative! I plan to powder coat these if that matters.
    Last edited by CZbob9; 06-26-2022 at 04:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    That's some high pressure for an already high pressure round in normal pistol circumstances. If you want over 1400 or so fps, you're more than likely gonna need a gas check on that boolit. Accurate and NOE both have options that fit your needs. If I were to go the J word route, I would not use a Plated bullet, I would use one with an actual thick Jacket.

Boolit Master
    Or alternatively, you could cast boolits from Zinc. No need for a gas check and they come out about 60-70% of the weight of the same boolit in lead.

Boolit Bub
    This will be shot out of a KP9 which is an AK based handgun. I figure gas checks might be needed.

Who said anything about a plated bullet? https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammu...n-hollow-point

Looking at that this might be a better clone. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...ullet=35-090BG

I have done 6.8spc to 2000fps with just PC with decent results at 100y. For handgun, even less pressure, i think its doable. Any 380 mold will work. Cast them hard, PC then water drop out of the oven. Size them the same day, it gets more diff a week or more later. Though i am not a fan of really light jhp for SD loads, even going that fast.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I have done 6.8spc to 2000fps with just PC with decent results at 100y. For handgun, even less pressure, i think its doable. Any 380 mold will work. Cast them hard, PC then water drop out of the oven. Size them the same day, it gets more diff a week or more later. Though i am not a fan of really light jhp for SD loads, even going that fast.
    How hard are you talking to cast them?

Boolit Master
    ok I watched first video. 1250fps is what he got. reloading with sport pistol powder Alliant. says 1366fps was achieved with gold dots in 4" barrel.
    it is never a waste of bullets to work up a load, my opinion.
    are you after the best option in the most effective self defense bullet or getting 2000fps out of a 9mm or both.
    different bullets usually have performance differences. this is why reloaders work up a load.

Boolit Master
    I’ve gotten good results from the Lee 90gr FN-TL powder coated and sized .356 for .380, .357” for 9mm.
    I seriously doubt you’ll get good accuracy AND 2000fps from a 9mm Parabellem. Just not enough case capacity or gas volume.

I use the Lee 90gr RN .311” cast with WW/with 95/5 lead free solder added. I run them to 2,000-2,200fps from a .30Carbine w/18.5” bbl with great accuracy (better than FMJ). But that’s #2400 or H110/296.

8-10” penetration and core jacket separation are generally considered to be bullet failure these days!
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 06-26-2022 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Cast them hard, PC then water drop out of the oven.
    This is a question, not an argument. Would water-quenching the cast bullets straight from the die have the same hardening effect? Or are you water quenching the coated bullets to harden or bond the coating better to the bare lead?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 95-rf seemed to work really nice in handguns but my blowback rifle would jam all the time. The bullet barely seats in the case, and the heavy blowback bolt slams the round into the angled feed ramp, which causes the bullet to get cockeyed in the case. Then the cockeyed bullet would make it into the chamber but not go into battery. I seated as deep as .995 inches OAL and was still having the problem.

The load data I was working with would have been around 1800 fps in the rifle. What are they loading to get 2000 fps? I was using 7.8 gr Power Pistol and the case was full to the top. Every time the turret would rotate out of the powder funnel I would have to cover the round with my finger or powder would spill out.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned the 9mm load with the 90 gr bullet was running 1250 fps out of the handgun. I push a 115 gr Speer GD or Hornady XTPHP at 1310 fps out of my CZ75 with measured psi less than the SAAMI MAP. Original SuperVel 90 gr HP ran 1490 fps out of the CZ75.

In my bolt action Spanish Destroyer with the barrel set back to headspace on 38 Super cases I push 90 - 115 gr jacketed bullets upwards of 1700+ fps. At that velocity the JHPs are literal grenades on impact. I would not use those loads in any semi-auto handgun. Going to have to pressure test one of these days.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    The load data I was working with would have been around 1800 fps in the rifle. What are they loading to get 2000 fps? I was using 7.8 gr Power Pistol and the case was full to the top. Every time the turret would rotate out of the powder funnel I would have to cover the round with my finger or powder would spill out.
    What barrel length were you using? I wonder if slower powder would help.

Boolit Buddy
    My barrel is 16". The load data will get 1450-1500 fps in a 4". Most bullets gain 150-250 fps in a 16" but this light bullet has about half the bearing surface friction almost twice the powder of your average target load and probably gains 300-400 fps. I never chronographed it.

The problem is case capacity, not burning rate. The case is full with a powder that makes max pressure. If you go to a slower powder, you will get about the same amount in the case but get lower pressure. If you went to faster powder, you couldn't get as heavy of a powder charge (gas volume) before you hit max pressure.

A good idea would be to check some bulk density figures and find powders close in burning rate to Power Pistol but denser. I bet AA #7 is denser and close in burn rate, but I don't know of any data for the light bullets. A case full of AA #7 might weigh a half grain more than Power Pistol and get you more gas at the same pressure.The PP load was the max from Alliant and would barely make max pressure with the case stuffed full to the top, indicating that a slower powder would not make max pressure unless you could get a heavier charge.

Also I highly recommend solid bullets at these velocities unless you are shooting animals under 30 pounds. A potential solution to my blowback and light bullets getting cockeyed problem would be the hollow base 90-95 grain 380 plated and FMJ bullets. They have a much longer bearing surface and would resist getting slammed against the feed ramp. I have a few hundred hollow base 95 JSP loaded up with the same 7.8 gr PP charge and they function great in the 9mm rifle and shoot under 3 MOA at 100 yards. They disintegrate at any decent self defense range so they are in the bottom of an ammo can somewhere for the next time I go to South Dakota for the first round of prairie doggin before they get wary and the big guns come out.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 06-26-2022 at 04:53 PM.

I would cast from lino, then PC & water drop those out of the oven. 15-20m in the oven will soften them a bit, hence the water dropping out of the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ok I watched first video. 1250fps is what he got. reloading with sport pistol powder Alliant. says 1366fps was achieved with gold dots in 4" barrel.
    it is never a waste of bullets to work up a load, my opinion.
    are you after the best option in the most effective self defense bullet or getting 2000fps out of a 9mm or both.
    different bullets usually have performance differences. this is why reloaders work up a load.
    SP is far too fast for top vel in 9mm with any bullet. I can get 1500fps in a 5" using AA#7. Ramshot Sil would be another dense, slower choice. Yes your powder will be compressed, so what.

Boolit Master

If you go the jacketed route, you might look at the TJ Conevera 90 gr JHP at tjconevera.com. I loaded them to 2100 fps in 9x25 Dillon (Glock 20 with 6.2" KKM conversion) with great results. The price is reasonable.

Obviously a different cartridge, but they did great at high velocities.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield