Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 500 mag load data

Boolit Bub

500 mag load data

I have read every available document John Ross wrote on loading the 500 mag using rifle powder.

Tell me if I have this umderstanding right please?

I take h335, h322, 223 remington appropriate powders and fill the case to the base of the bullet. The charge is not to be compressed just touch the base of bullet when seated

all documents which came with my John Ross revolver I got from him in 2020 indicate this is a safe practice

I have never tried and if I am wrong please PUBLICALLY RIDICULE ME so I can't hurt myself and no one else will be exposed to dangerous info.

Boolit Grand Master

I have not had the opportunity to read John Ross' articles, but I have loaded Lil to the base of a 455 grain cast bullet and it burns much faster than 322 or 335. It would seem it is feasible, but if the powder is too slow the muzzle blast would be horrendous.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

John subscribed to the theory of loading with powders that could not be double charged for safety. The theory is sound but does not necessarily produce the best load. YMMV!

Boolit Bub
    I would say it's safe then, I will let you know if I find out otherwise

Boolit Master

I've used his method with BLC-2 in my John Ross 500 Magnum.

Boolit Grand Master

Quickloads predicts with a 350gr XTP, and 60 gr H335 (101% case fill), you would only be at 31,316 psi, way short of the 61,931 psi MAP. Velocity from a 6 1/2" would be about 1400 fps.

Very safe, just way short on the capabilities of the cartridge.

Boolit Bub
    I have some 700 grain Matt's I want to try with rifle powder.

My go to for my John Ross 500 is h110 and 350 grain xtp.

I have his alley cleaner design which I am scrounging trail boss for.

I just want to be safe and not destroy my hands shooting this revolver

Boolit Master

My favorite powder for hot loads is CFE Black. I use it in loads for my 460 also.

Boolit Buddy
    I concur with boatswainsmate on loading the 500 with CFE Black.

When I purchased my 500, I bought a box of Hornady 350 gr ammo so I could shoot it before I got components and dies to load my own. The Hornady ammo was a total failure in my mind - the recoil was somewhere between a 357 and a 44, totally unacceptable for what was supposed to be the world's most powerful production handgun.

I then loaded 400 gr flay nose bullets in front of a healthy amount of H110 with a heavy crimp. Felt recoil was a little more than a 44 mag, but still not what I expected from the revolver. Problem was solved with 500 gr flat nose in front of CFE Black. Followed Hodgdon's published loads with some rounds at their starting load and others halfway between their starting and max loads (both 40-something grains). Finally what I expected from the big revolver! The recoil from the midrange loads is plenty and is the first revolver which ever left a black bruised triangle across my palm between my thumb and index finger - and that after only two cylinders full. No one else has ever fired a second cylinder and most stop after a round or two.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by COUSIN DANIEL View Post
    I have read every available document John Ross wrote on loading the 500 mag using rifle powder.

Tell me if I have this umderstanding right please?

I take h335, h322, 223 remington appropriate powders and fill the case to the base of the bullet. The charge is not to be compressed just touch the base of bullet when seated

all documents which came with my John Ross revolver I got from him in 2020 indicate this is a safe practice

I have never tried and if I am wrong please PUBLICALLY RIDICULE ME so I can't hurt myself and no one else will be exposed to dangerous info.
    When I first got my 4" 500S&W, I tried some loads using Scot 4100, using John Ross's (may he rest in peace) data. While the loads shot OK, I much prefer Unique for light loads, and H110 for hot loads.
    that's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Since the surplus powder market is mostly gone, thank you Washington criminals.
    I’m using 4227 quite a bit in the 500. Also AL8 which works fantastic in the 500 smith and 500L. 1680, 5744 are also good. I refuse to use the stupid fast powder that leave large amounts of air space. John Ross had the correct idea, fill up the case with an appropriate powder so there’s no chance of blowing it up. Lil gun is my favorite for full power rifle loads

Boolit Bub
    I used a Matt 700 grain bullet seated to crimp grove and filled case with H335 which came out at 35 grains.

I shot these with no issues, I can't hold onto the gun and my groups are no where near my aiming point. My best group was 3 inches at 25 yards.

I am going to try 500 grain and if that is too much I am going back to 350 grain XTP and max charges of H110.