Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Odd tip-off rings

Odd tip-off rings

I spied an old Marlin rimfire scope at a LGS the other day- and bought it for $5. I thought that if it works it could serve on one of my .22 rifles. Further examination revealed that these rings are too wide in the clamping area to fit the standard 3/8" dovetail on rimfire rifles.
    So- what do they fit?
    Thanks in advance.
    And before you say it- all my scoped .22s use 1" scopes......since way back!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

It's probably from the old days before all the rails & mounts were more or less standardized here and in Europe.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Could be 11mm, my Model 82 Gov't Kimber 22 target rifle has 11mm grooves. The peep sight set that came with the rifle won't work on my Model 52.

When I scoped the Kimber, I had to track down metric air rifle mounts.

Just a guess, worth every penny that was paid for it

What does the dovetail clamping area actually measure? They look like a very early Weaver set of rings to me. They may have been made before the gun companies started making the 3/8" dovetails on top of their receivers, and not for that at all, but rather to be clamped onto a mount. I have made many custom mounts from stock you can purchase from Brownell's that comes in a couple of different widths and heights. You just cut off as much as you desire, drill the mounting screw holes where you wish them to be located, and then clamp on the rings. Solves many unusual mounting problems.

DG

Boolit Master
    on one of my model 39's was a rail that probably fits that clamp. I took the rail off years ago and not sure where I put it but have looked on and off for it for about 2 years. the old mountie is 1952 I believe.
    also some of those rings have flip over clamps just flip the clamping side over to fit different width rail. can't quite tell from photo if that's what you got.

Thank you all. farmbif.... you made me check them closer and sure enough- flip the clamp over and voila!
    Time to put it on the 581 for a test to see if I got my $5 worth!

Boolit Master

Glad it worked out for you. Nice for the price find.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I’ve been wrong before but always thought a tip-off scope mount was one that could be pivoted out of the way for using the iron sights, while remaining attached and retaining the firearm scope zero. To me the subject rings are more on the order of quick detachable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I’ve been wrong before but always thought a tip-off scope mount was one that could be pivoted out of the way for using the iron sights, while remaining attached and retaining the firearm scope zero. To me the subject rings are more on the order of quick detachable.
    That makes sense, Bmi. I only called them tip-off rings because that's what the gun writers that I read called them.
    We always called them ".22 rings".
    Due to the design, these lose grip on the scope when loosened- the rings are split in the mount. DG, I don't think that they are Weavers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That makes sense, Bmi. I only called them tip-off rings because that's what the gun writers that I read called them….
    The nomenclature baffles me. Years ago I purchased a ‘swing off’ m1 carbine scope mount that was hinged to allow the scope to pivot to the left so one could use the iron sights. Didn’t take long to figure out it doesn’t fit G I carbines. Only some commercial models, maybe the Universal. I’ve heard it referred to as a ‘tip off’ mount.
    Then I bought a used scoped Remington 740 where the bottom of the front ring locked into the front base with a pair of lugs 180 degrees apart. The rear ring had front & back lugs that slid into a dovetail in the rear base. By backing out a set screw the rear of the scope could be pivoted 90 degrees unlocking the front ring lugs from their base, whence the scope & rings could be lifted off the rifle. Allowing use of a flip up aperture sight on the rear base. That seemed like a solid, return to zero system. Guess that could be called a “swing off” or “twist off” mount too. I wound up replacing it with a set of see-thru mounts.
    The amount of thought that went into some of this older stuff amazes me.
    The two above mentioned scope mounts now rest peacefully somewhere in my miscellaneous parts storage, awaiting a purpose.

My 444 Marlin, 1st Year production, wears a Weaver tip off mount with a matching Marlin base. The two rings are hinged to the base and each has a flat spring clamp that locks onto underside of the base, solid. You can shoot two rounds, flip the scope to the side, shoot two round with the iron sights, then snap the scope back, shoot one round and make a 3 shot 1” group with the scope at 200 meters. I use the Lyman 210g GC hard cast, sized to the bore, LBT Blue, with 12 grains of Unique.
    Weaver made this system for Marlins for years, then discontinued it. Folks that own a Marlin and did not buy one missed the boat.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

The swing off mount I purchased for a M1 carbine was made by Pachmayr. I’d have to look at it again but IIRC it has a double spring to hold it in position. I’ve seen similar mounts advertised in old catalogs.

I bought a 36G Marlin Glenfield 30-30 with the Weaver swing over mount and a Valor 4x scope. The mount got cast to the wind (I guess) when my nephew owned it for a bit. It worked well, I hope it turns up someday.
    I still have that scope, I'm proud of it.

Update, I decided to try the Marlin scope on a Marlin rifle( Revelation 110).
    Last edited by Texas by God; 06-30-2022 at 12:04 AM.