Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Dimensions on S&W .455

Boolit Master

Dimensions on S&W .455

I’m eyeballing a semi-local revolver (I’ve seen pictures.) It appears to be a Hand Ejector 2nd Model originally built for the Brits chambered for the .455 MK II. It has the correct British markings.

It has been rechambered to .45 Colt.

Before making the drive to check it out, I’m wondering what I might expect to find so far as groove and throat diameter.

What I’ve read about the .455 cartridge indicates a bullet diameter of .455, which makes me suspect dimensions would be on the generous side.

Since this would be strictly a shooter, I’m not interested if there’s little chance of it being accurate.

Boolit Master
    Probably larger throats and I'm not sure about the barrel but even if normal for .455 that is well within normal for .45 Colts and lots of folks have long loaded .454 or larger bullets in .45 Colts for many years. The larger dimensions wouldn't dissuade me. What I'm saying is there is no reason it should be inaccurate if you just tailor your ammo for it. Regular Winchester and Remington 250-255 conical .45 Colt factory loads were around .454-.455 with a slightly cupped or hollow base. They would swage down or bump up and worked well across a broad spectrum of guns.
    Rule 303

Vendor Sponsor

I have rescued a few Webley cylinders that ended up in the .455" - .456" range and they work well with boolits that fill the throats. My own Uberti (avatar pic) Old West model has .4565" throats and a .451" groove, I shoot 454190 sized .456" over 9.0gr Herco and it's a hoot to shoot, quite accurate at shorter distances, haven't tried it at 50 yards but I suspect it would be acceptable.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy

I have the identical 6", HE 2nd in 45 Colt, originally 455 Eley proofs an all.

cylinder throats are .457(pin gauge)
    bore is .447(pin gauge)
    groove is .453 five lands and grooves

It shoots a 225 gr, TC .452 acp style bullet better than I can hold most of the time. I size the case with the older lyman two diameter die and a conservative dose of red dot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff View Post
    I have the identical 6", HE 2nd in 45 Colt, originally 455 Eley proofs an all.

cylinder throats are .457(pin gauge)
    bore is .447(pin gauge)
    groove is .453 five lands and grooves

It shoots a 225 gr, TC .452 acp style bullet better than I can hold most of the time. I size the case with the older lyman two diameter die and a conservative dose of red dot.
    Thanks.

I’ve got a MP 250-grain HBWC I bought for my 25-2, but it’s just too dang long for the .45 AR brass.

Boolit Master
    I have a New Century 455 that was converted to 45 long Colt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7757ABA7-9186-4B17-ADBF-F26DE4DE3232.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	301639

I have not shot it yet.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.