MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: How many clutch discs?

How many clutch discs?

John Deere 6 foot rotary mower (bush hog) . Do I need 2 or 4 clutch discs? No idea of age or model. Also is the steel plate I am holding supposed to be dished or flat?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

The part in your hand is supposed to be dished. I am pretty sure that you will need 4 disks.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I haven't rebuilt one in a long time, and the last one was a 8' twin blade.
    I think there is a kit available with new discs, plates, springs, and nuts & bolts for them.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the kits go by the outside diameter of the plates
    not so much the width of the cutting deck.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have one with a clutch setup and another with a direct hookup and a shear pin. Can you use a shear pin setup? The clutch was an option on mine and the pin is a lot cheaper. They do the same thing. I have my clutch backed off a little. I have had the shear pin design since the 90's and replaced the pin twice.

Amazon has the discs for $10 each so no big deal.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a little experience with pto clutches.Any metal the clutches touch has to be clean no oil no rust.My brush hog has a shear bolt.But my roto tiller has a slip clutch.The tiller stays out side the only way I don’t have problems with it is to take the pto shaft inside when I’m not using it.If the clutch starts slipping stop and find out what’s wrong.You can burn those clutch plates up fairly quickly.

Boolit Master
    it might only take 2, I dont see the pressure springs, doesn't exactly like any ive used. im just not sure. with such good pictures you have I'm sure someone over at yesterdays tractors would know for sure exactly how it goes back together. I have one old brushog that I just put bolts straight through the thing and worked great for years, but I was very careful what I would cut with it and not run over stumps and rocks.
    if your gearbox on cutter is a 1 3/8-6 spline sometimes a universal pto clutch like agrisupply sells is cheaper than the parts to rebuild some of em.
    Last edited by farmbif; 06-25-2022 at 09:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The domed steel plate applies pressure you flatten it as you tighten .But mine has springs also

If you can find a serial number that should help at the dealer.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master
    My old JD 205 had two clutch plates and the plate you are holding should be dished. Kind of a pre-load spring setup. After fighting it for last few ,years I bought another brush hog. If I had to do it over again, I would have figured out how to just lock the clutch setup together and bought a seperate slip clutch setup. Had the old 205 gyramore for almost 50 years and it was used when I bought it, so I guess I got my moneys worth.

Banned
    Just looking at what you have I'd say 4 disks to , but you might want to just replace the entire clutch pack , I can see the glazing in the pic and it's gonna be hard to keep it from slipping if you work it hard

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I wouldn’t recommend going to a shear pin or bolt if you have clutch already. With that type of equipment you are sure to encounter thinks that will resist it. If you are constantly having to replace pins or bolts it’s a real pain. I had a hay bailer I bought used that had a clutch, but I kept shearing a bolt that was a second security. Eventually I disassembled the clutch and got it working like it should. I never broke a safety bolt again. Clutches are great.