Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had Lunch with a Korea Vet

Thanks Wolfdog, I always enjoy your posts, this one especially.

Thanks for sharing, brought back memories of my dad serving in Germany and Vietnam. He did 3 tours in Germany and one in Nam where he left on a stretcher. He lost his battle to agent orange in '06. While doing mop up operations in Germany at the end of WWII he took hundreds of pics of the devastation which he never printed but I kept all the negatives. Some of them were risque, the frauleins had to make a living some way. Miss him greatly, he could do about anything.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    If you get a chance, ask him if he knew Jimmie D Hager. That is my Dad from Pennsylvania.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are a good man.

My FIL served in Korea. He his gone.

He would never talk about it. Saw and likely did some serious stuff.

We were watching a war movie one night about Korea. He loved ice cream and I had gotten him a big bowl. For some reason I glanced over at him about 10 minutes after getting his treat and he was sitting there with tears streaming from his eyes....bowl cradled in his hands and untouched. Asked him if I should turn it off. He just nodded no. I didn’t say a word until I went to bed and said good night.

He was a good man and second father to me. He is turning over in his grave with how the family has gone woke and what has become of the country he served.

Wolf...thanks for posting. Glad you made the old soldier smile.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Bless you Sir, for sharing that with all of us. The stories and pictures are priceless.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    I don't need a like button, I need a LOVE button.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Buddy
    Very good stuff here.

Wife and I spent a few days at Gettysburg a couple years ago. We were on Cemetery Hill walking around and I noticed a small older man near us. We both had Marine hats on, so I wandered over to talk to him. His name was Arthur, a farmer from Ohio and he was at Chosin Reservoir in Korea. Talked to him a long time and ran in to him twice the next day. Same deal, we both remembered our rifle serial numbers, same BS stories and jokes, laughed a lot at our misbehavior.

I am a Viet Nam era vet, never got there, they stuck me on a ship.

My wife was watching and smiling. She said "Whenever you meet another Marine you both stand up about 2" taller and smile. Then the stories start". Think of him often, it was a nice encounter.

The respect you have for each other is immediate. All the shared experiences make us brothers.

Don

Fantastic !!! It does my heart good to see the younger generation appreciate and honor their elders, especially veterans. Good on you Wolf. Good karma heading your way.

Boolit Master

My FIL, who I see daily, is a Korea Vet - an Army Medic. At 91 years young, he is VERY spry and fit. He will NOT eat at a restaurant, diner, or anywhere but his own home (and his daughter's home [mine] on rare occasion), to this day. His lineage has each lived, in excellent health, past 100 years.

I will share this thread with him in the hopes he remembers the good. I KNOW he saw MOST of the bad.

If there is any way to identify those men in the pictures, they too, or their families and friends, would benefit greatly. I was Ship's Photographer as a collateral duty for which I volunteered in the USCG. ID'ing shipmates and sharing photographs has been extremely pleasing for me and the men and families with whom I served. Were it not for them, I would have significantly fewer memories.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    You done good, don't stop, keep it up.

Boolit Master
    this just all makes me very sad because it makes me think about my dad who was a Korea vet, not combat, he was army mechanic who kept the trucks running over there. I miss him every day and he passed away back in 1992. I remember when I was a kid going though his foot locker and seeing all the pictures and stuff he kept.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, brought back memories of my dad serving in Germany and Vietnam. He did 3 tours in Germany and one in Nam where he left on a stretcher. He lost his battle to agent orange in '06. While doing mop up operations in Germany at the end of WWII he took hundreds of pics of the devastation which he never printed but I kept all the negatives. Some of them were risque, the frauleins had to make a living some way. Miss him greatly, he could do about anything.

Slim
    Your quote brought back my memories to my granddad, he died in the year 2000.
    He often told me his storys from the French channel coast, there he and his comrades had a great time.
    Got wine from the French people, drinking and eating with them and a lot fun with the French girls.
    Maybe the same story like the American vets later had in Germany with the „Frauleins“.
    He told that they never had any problems with the people there, not like later told in tv and in school.

But, and that’s the truth, I was a little boy, and he only told the nice parts of his service time.
    The heavy parts, especially from the eastern campaign, he hold inside mostly because it’s really unbelievable how hard they fought and which inhumane things happened.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12