Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: "Hardball" Alloy

Boolit Buddy

"Hardball" Alloy

Can someone explain what "Hardball" alloy is? Where did this term originate?

I am used to the military 230gr jacketed ammo being referred to as "hardball" but am not familiar with "hardball" lead alloy.

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Commercial "hardball" alloy used by the large commercial bullet casters is 92% lead, 6% antimony and 2% tin, aboutc16 Bhn, which works well in the Magma automatic casting machines and produces a well filled out, hard bullet which can stand rough handling in shipment. Much harder than needed for most purposes and prone to heavy leading if bullet is undersized. I prefer 50-50 Wheelweights and soft plumbers lead with 2% tin added, about 10-11'Bhn. Far superior for general use
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the explanation and links. Much appreciated.

Boolit Master

Side note, a 50-50 alloy of linotype (84-12-4) with pure lead (100-0-0) gets you what is called hardball. Numbers are (lead-antimony-tin).

Boolit Master
    It sure works well in .45 Colt bullets, when pushed over 1000 f/s. In .45 ACP, the Lyman #2 alloy seems to shoot tighter (for me), when bullet shapes are identical, but I have to having a very good day, to tell the difference.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

SOWW and Hardball for me. Yields 11.3 BHN. I can find lots of SOWW locally.

Used in 9mm Glocks and 10mm Glock/Carbine at 1600fps. Powder Coated and No leading at all.