RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Sizing REAL Boolits

Boolit Master

Sizing REAL Boolits

Everyone knows these bullets don't have to be sized. I've shot many and the heavy 50 cal works good for me, but I was thinking if I could size them a little bit maybe I wouldn't have to pound them in.

Mine drop at 0.517 and my bore is 0.501. I was able to pick up a Lee sizer for 0.510 which is still plenty oversized, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice any accuracy for ease of loading.

Has anyone tried this or am I going to have to experiment?

Boolit Master
    What is the diameter of your Cast REAL boolits .517.
    Is that all the slug diameter , or just the widest part at the lower band ?
    Do you use an over powder wad under the Boolits ?
    What is the depth of you rifling ?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The proof is in the pudding . . . . try it and see. If you already have the sizer it's worth a try just to see what the results would be. And please report back on your results. Personally, I think it might just work. In pushing the soft lead through the sizer, seems like you are just "repositioning the outer circumference of the fins (for want of a better word) to the diameter of your sizer - which should give you easier loading. If using without an over the powder card, my guess is that you still won't get much blobby "if" the fin diameter "is" a tad less than your groove diameter. Just a thought on my part. I would give it a try and see - your rifle will let you know when you see the results on paper at varying distances.

Good luck and I would love to hear your results.

That’s odd on my 200 gr 45 cal I can just about thumb seat them to the top band and then a firm push on the rod , once it’s in the barrel I can seat it on the powder with two fingers on the rod . If you do descide to size them don’t go smaller than groove dia . They are designed to have the bottom band at land and top band at groove dia. Or a hair over not be one dia. The entire length
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy

Just making sure you are using pure lead. If not, you should be.

Boolit Master
    Slug the barrel and find out what it is and go for that. Maybe another mold of same to compare?

Boolit Buddy
    I size them to .510 for use in brass cartridges in a Smith carbine. I can get 40 grains of 2f Swiss behind the bullet and it’s a very accurate load as well. Deer within a hundred yards are in trouble…

Be sure that when you cast them the driving bands are well filled out or they might not engage the riflings consistently.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn