Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Help with 458 SOCOM - Failing to load

Help with 458 SOCOM - Failing to load

I built a 458 SOCOM. Radical Firearms receiver, bolt and barrel. 5.5 oz buffer with a normal AR buffer spring.
    I am reloading cast 500 grain bullets. (Lee Mold)

The bullets plunk well. The first shot loads and fires fine. The next shots are hit and miss. They fail to load into the chamber.

I changed the Mag to a C Products duramag for 458s and it helped, but the gun still fails to load the next round frequently.

What do I need to change?

Thank you in advance for your help!

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    I would suggest filming the gun in slow motion to see where exactly it boogers up. Most phones these days are capable. It’s amazing how much easier it is to diagnose a malfunctioning gun when you can watch the failure happen in slow motion.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I would suggest filming the gun in slow motion to see where exactly it boogers up. Most phones these days are capable. It’s amazing how much easier it is to diagnose a malfunctioning gun when you can watch the failure happen in slow motion.
    I was not aware of that feature. Thanks.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Will do. Good idea.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    I can’t claim the idea as my own. The smart fellers over on WeaponsGuild taught me that trick!

Boolit Master
    "normal AR buffer spring"? Rifle extension, rifle spring, rifle buffer?

Boolit Master

I recommend heading over to ar15.com. There is a section for non standard calibers.
    I have an upper and use stock .223 components. I use a 340g. Lee mold with Ww296 powder. The magazine is a modified .223. No problems with functioning.
    There are too many variables to diagnose properly. Load/powder used, diameter of gas hole in barrel, gas tube length, springs etc.
    The idea with the .458 Socom was a barrel and magazine change from the ar-15 platform.

Boolit Master

After 20 minutes of thought, I think there were 3 modifications that I did before I fired my upper.
    1.) I drilled out the gas port hole in the barrel.
    2.) I modified the extractor to work with .458 brass. There is an aftermarket extractor for the .458.
    3.) I filed the front of the magazine ( regular .30 round .223 magazine) so that the larger bullet did not hit the front of the magazine.
    Unfortunately the .458 is not a SAAMI cartridge and most information has to be pbtained from the internet. Proceeb with caution.

Boolit Master

Load one in magazine and see if the bolt locks back. If it does not either up you powder or lighten your buffer.
    If it locks back it may be the mag. Tromix sells Lancer mags with a follower made for the .458
    It could also be the feed ramps on your rifle.