Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: time for a compact carry gun

Boolit Master

Been the DA plastic gun route and came back to the 1911 style. My smallest is the Sig 938 in 9mm with the Springfield Range Office Compact in 45 next. I choose whichever fits my choice of clothing.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I am a old time revolver fan. S&W 36 3" is one carry gun, the other is a S&W 3914.
    I LIKE the SA/DA on the 3914. 8+1 is plenty. 2 spare mags and off you go!
    If you practice with the 3914 the DA first shot is just like the revolver then you get the benefit of SA afterward.
    The 3914 is also a compact gun and actually started the 9mm compact craze.
    I would encourage you to seek one out. They are not made any more.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    It's seasonal for me - 9mm Glock43 in a tecgrip pocket holster in summer, and a 4 1/2" Ruger BH in 44 Special in a converted M3 shoulder holster in the winter.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Bub
    I bought or test fired a number of guns in my search for the right one for me over the years. I have come to rest on the Shield Plus. For the rare occasions that I need to pocket carry I have my S&W 642 that I've had for over 20 years.

YMMV. I recommend that you handle and if possible rent as many of those that interest you as you can.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Carry guns are all the rage now, 1000's on the market perhaps. I find the best ones for me are any older J-frame snubby, I own several or, a new Shield 9mm. Both very reliable and accurate for their intended use and without issues if not abused..Guns are not hammers like back in the day...Do not own a LW nor will I ever..Both guns mentioned carry very well with lots of holster options..The J goes right in my front pocket inside a slip in Desantis, the Smith is carried cross draw inside a Flobus inside waistband unit..can also be carried strongside..

My Shield 40 2.0 is very well liked by me. Good power and accuracy; this group fired at 10 yards.
    My wife's original Shield 9mm shoots just as well.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have carried several different guns in the past. From full size 1911 to a .25acp. My favorites were the Colt 1903 (.32acp) and a Ruger SP101 .357. Almost as comfortable as the Colt was a PPK (.380).

Which gun depended on what I was doing and what I was wearing. Summer I like a slim gun, IWB carry. The 1903 was perfect for that. A 'melted' look on a pistol decades before that became popular. It was even comfortable without a holster. Winter was the .357 in a pancake or shoulder holster under a jacket. I could never get used to an ankle holster but several people I have known prefer them, including a couple judges and LEO's.

These days I'd probably get one of the slim 9's but I'd still be tempted by a small alloy revolver. Most of them come in 9mm since you already have ammo for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have to say my 40 Shield shoots very well too. To be proficient with it I have to practice frequently. I certainly would not term it underpowered. It demands more from the user but it was easier to stay on top of when ammo and primers were more freely available. The less I get to shoot the more and more prominently the shootability differences between micros and compacts show up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Don't discount 6-shot, .38 Special wheelguns. You may not want to leave a trail of ejected brass for the bad guys to follow. Of course, I am an old school dinosaur who was trained by Harry Archer at The Farm....

Yeah, I am a D-frame Colt guy..Six for sure. Usually a pair of them.

When talking pocket carry you should see a big neon sign flashing “Revolver”.

Boolit Master
    Before you order something, if there is a range near you that has rentals go "try before U buy"...saves a LOT of money in the long run...

Friend just bought a SIG 365 that he just loves over his G43... I shot both of them yesterday and prefer the Glock... That said when I was looking for a pocketable 9mm I went with the Kahr PM9 as I already had a P380 that shoots excellent...

Bob

Glock 19 OWB for me, year round on the sweltering gulf coast.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Don't discount 6-shot, .38 Special wheelguns. You may not want to leave a trail of ejected brass for the bad guys to follow. Of course, I am an old school dinosaur who was trained by Harry Archer at The Farm....

Yeah, I am a D-frame Colt guy..Six for sure. Usually a pair of them.
    Taurus 856 for the win! Installed Wolff springs and this little wheelgun is fully the equal of my S&W's and Rugers in terms of trigger pull and accuracy.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

farmbif, I had the same experience as Uncle Grinch with the polymer/plastic guns and came back to a Ruger ec9s even though it has a non metallic frame, for my carry gun. Its is a bit heavier that the Kel-Tec PF-9 that it replaced but close to the same weight as a Shield. I found the Shield a bit too bulky for my liking and mine had FTF problems with some loads including some factory. The Ruger works every time without a hiccup with my hand loads or any factory I've run through it and that is the most important thing you are looking for in a carry gun. When you REALLY need it, there are no "time outs".
    Last edited by murf205; 06-29-2022 at 06:25 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    got to put this off again gives me more time to go to different shops and see all the options available. saw doctor today, he's sending me on another round through the experts, and physical therapy at least once a week, and then a whole other round of new bills will come in. I guess all his buddies need new Cadillacs. ,

Boolit Buddy
    Compact 1911 (w/8 rounds) mostly. Full sized and two spare mags if there's stuff going on. I've carried baby glocks, Sig 238, Mauser HSc, Smith hammerless 5-shot 38 (can't remember the model) and always end back up at the 1911 platform. It's heavy, but I just feel more comfortable with them. I'm also the only person at work that caries high IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    got to put this off again gives me more time to go to different shops and see all the options available. saw doctor today, he's sending me on another round through the experts, and physical therapy at least once a week, and then a whole other round of new bills will come in. I guess all his buddies need new Cadillacs. ,
    Prayers for you brother. Hope your recovery is swift.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Glock 48 MOS: it is the same height and length as a Glock 19, but is thinner; can take the aftermarket 15 round Shield Arms mags along with their metal magazine release; has a rail for mounting a slimline TLR-7 Sub Streamlight; and will let you red dot it if your eyeballs aren't what they once were.

The 43X MOS is exactly the same grip frame with a shorter slide that ends at the dust cover. Not my preference as the Streamlight then protrudes past the muzzle, but different strokes.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold
    S&W J frame, Kahr CM series, Glock 43, Sig 365, SA Hellcat are all solid choices.... but it really boils down to what you like and are comfortable and confident with.
    Striker

RLTW

"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."

Boolit Master

I feel the OP’s situation with medical bills. And if I may suggest the Taurus GX4 as an inexpensive and very reliable firearm.

Been working the range rental counter for the last few weeks and several of my coworkers suggest it to those looking for a pocket pistol. Our range rental has over 5k documented rounds through it with no problems. Two RSA changes. I have about 1K through mine with no problems. I know of several coworkers that own one too. We are all retired LEOs/COs/military and value a dependable weapon. We might have Duty sized Glocks, Staccato Ps, 1911s, or Sig 229s on our belts during work but we have a Taurus GX4 in our pockets when we head home. LOL
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Tried many guns. A long time ago, I was trained on Model 1911. Too big to carry concealed. I tried every holster. I have settled on the Sig 365XL. Great gun with good capacity. When it is difficult to conceal, I carry a Seecamp in .32acp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast