RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dixie Gun Works

Ordered a 32 cal Pendersolli flintlock kit and a catalog this morning. Between the 2 I'm sure I'll be entertained for a while.

Boolit Master
    You shouldn't have ordered the Catalog.
    Once you receive it , you will go broke in a month ordering more rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    You shouldn't have ordered the Catalog.
    Once you receive it , you will go broke in a month ordering more rifles.
    Lol! Time will tell.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have dealt with Dixie since the early 1960s and never had an issue. The last thing i got from them was a Remington Navy C & B to use with a conversion cylinder - same solid service as the very first time I ever dealt with them.

I have always thought that the BP Fraternity owes a lot to Turner Kirkland for his vision of his company and providing guns, parts, etc. to keep muzzleloading alive . . . and he succeeded . . . . pretty good for a guy who started by selling out of the trunk of his car.

Outstanding outfit

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Buddy

My first DGW catalog was a little light blue envelope sized affair…. From it I ordered a cheap rb mold… now hidden by dust of years…

Purchasing their current catalog is a great learning aid… have not bought from them in decades. At 80 I’m a lot tougher shopper than I once was..

Best wishes from lower Alabumma….

Boolit Master
    ive bought a sharps,highwall and a 1861 springfield from them.no problem and shipping was a little slow but it arrived safely

I also have ordered from them many times since the mid 1980s and have always been satisfied.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master

They are first class.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I grew up in a small town about 12 miles from Union City. I remember going into his little store front out of curiosity in the late 1950's as a teenager. Mostly genuine old guns and parts.

His family(at least same last name) is quite prominent in that area. Among things the family has been instrumental in founding are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Park_of_America

https://tinyurl.com/25gvy3qc

I suspect that neither of these are as widely known as Dixie Gun Works.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Dixie Gun Works has been around longer than the Internet, had a catalog and mail order in 1960's (maybe before?) if I remember correctly. Good place to do business.
    I have an original 1953 catalog that fits in your shirt pocket. It was my pap's . I have been dealing with Dixie since the '60's and have never had any issues with them worth mentioning. I do miss the old days when Turner was still around and most if not all of the help knew me when I called about anything and I knew all of them . Was kinda like dealing with family. At one point when my dad was a teen , Union City was having a big celebration and needed powder to shoot a cannon on the weekend. Turner was out of cannon grade powder so he called my pap . Pap put my dad and two kegs of powder on a Greyhound bus and shipped both powder and son to Union City from Nashville by bus , no HAZMAT involved. Turner and the Mayor of Union City met him at the bus station and he spent the weekend being treated like a king. Turner told me that story just about every time I saw him . Turner could be kind of an odd duck at times but he was a very fine man and Dixie has always reflected that .

I don't buy powder or caps from them anymore because of price but I would not hesitate to order anything else from them. They are still a first rate top notch supplier of muzzle loading goods .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 06-28-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Forty Rod Ray View Post
    My first DGW catalog was a little light blue envelope sized affair…. From it I ordered a cheap rb mold… now hidden by dust of years…

Purchasing their current catalog is a great learning aid… have not bought from them in decades. At 80 I’m a lot tougher shopper than I once was..

Best wishes from lower Alabumma….
    Ray,

Is your mold the one made from a hair straightener or an Iron mold with the round handles made as part of the mold ? The hair straightener blocks were kinda round and had loops in the handles. The other mold's were made by sand casting and were originally made by my uncle Royland with square blocks. Originally neither had a sprue cutter but the molds uncle Royland made were eventually made with one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    One of the oldest suppliers in the business. The catalog is worth having in itself, reminiscent of the old Herter's catalog.
    They would make a good , interesting , informative and relatively cheap collection . At one time Turner listed parts for guns that are near imposable to find anymore. If you needed a spring for a Whitney Kennedy lever action rifle or a Spencer shotgun Dixie usually had them and showed a picture on a grid so you could tell if the size was correct for your application. Nobody else I knew of did that. Having his catalog was like having an NRA disassembly guide for guns that NRA book did not list , the parts breakdowns alone were worth the $2.00 that the catalog cost. In my opinion, if it were not for Turner Kirkland, Val Forgett and a couple of places ( still in business ) up north, muzzle loading would have never bin as popular and would have mostly died out long before now. As long as he was alive and running Dixie they had something for every level of income.

PS: Daniel Boon and Davy Crocket ( Fess Parker ) played a major part in the popularity of muzzle loading from the 1950's on also so we also owe 20th Century Fox (Daniel Boone) and Walt Disney ( Davy Crockett) a big chunk of credit.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 06-28-2022 at 01:47 PM.

DGW is definitely a legacy outfit. Isn’t it sad that we have to question the legitimacy of everything these days ?

Rifle kit arrived today according to my better half. Shipping was estimated for 7-10 days so they beat that by half. Definitely happy about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    DGW is definitely a legacy outfit. Isn’t it sad that we have to question the legitimacy of everything these days ?
    Companies are in business for decades then something happens and the business gets sold. Seems like that's often the beginning of the end of the business.

Boolit Master

Many times..i have a 69 cal musket from them.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Ok, good to know. Left them an email, going to call tomorrow.
    I hope you ordered a hard copy of their catalog, too. I enjoy going through it, although I always end up making an unplanned purchase. 😁

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12