Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loading 30-30 Win for a Lever-Friend for the first time. Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I'd rather save the FMJ quality for the hunting rounds

Full Metal Jacket bullets are not for hunting. Also any FMJ you might find in 30 caliber will most likely be spitzer bullets. I have to concur with a post above that your best bet would be to buy a box of appropriate flat or round nosed jacketed bullets. Powder Valley has good prices on bullets if they have them. IMR 4198 is an excellent powder for the 30-30, it just won[t deliver top velocities like some other powders. It would be good for a higher velocity plinking load.
    Rick
    I apologize for the wrong terminology regarding manufactured projectiles. I used FMJ as a way too general term. Obviously, actual hunting rounds would be soft-point to ensure effective energy transfer and ethical stopping of game. If it's going in a hunted creature, it's going to be soft point.

If he doesn't mind loaning the gun to you, you can check your reloaded cartridge for fit and function BEFORE you load a batch. If not, full length size a case then carefully seat and crimp the chosen bullet- without primer or powder. Give that dummy round to him to try in his 94. If it fits, proceed.
    Personally I'd prefer him or her to observe and learn; then load their own shells on my equipment.
    I've had the three Lee flat nose C309 moulds and they work just fine sized to .309" in my bolt action 30-30.
    My old 94 30-30 shot the C309150F over Re7 or 4198 well and I took many turkeys with it using straight wheelweights.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have had two 30/30's - both needed full length resized cases to function easily
    That was after full strength hunting loads not paper plinking
    I used winchester 748 powder and a cast gascheck 170 grain boolit
    Used a Lee boolit size die at .309
    If he's mainly gonna plink with it - tone things down some and shoot a plain lead boolit - as dropped from the mold - should be fine.

Lyman 311008 works great in the 30-30. Good accuracy and low recoil = fun! It's a good hunting bullet too. Read about it here...
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-for-deer-too!

Boolit Master
    I would want the rifle in hand before loading for it. I would probably start with one of the 170+ grain flatnose bullets gas checked Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Accurate, NOE but sized to .310 to start, 4198, 2015, 3031, Reloder 7, H335, 748, even BL-C2 all work. The 30-30 is not fussy. Lighter bullets at lower velocities are good for fun, but for early success 'standard' weight and powders work well. In the 30-30, cast bullets will stand up to full power hunting loads. The .308 bullets will probably not work as well as .309 or .310, sometimes a .311 might add accuracy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F32230E6-164F-4B6B-BA0B-7C05D4B1D511.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	301503

This load has worked well for me. It’s a Hunter Supply boolit, sized to .310.

You may find a Lyman M (two step) neck expander will help.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post

Name:	F32230E6-164F-4B6B-BA0B-7C05D4B1D511.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	301503

This load has worked well for me. It’s a Hunter Supply boolit, sized to .310.

You may find a Lyman M (two step) neck expander will help.
    The die set that I picked up is a Lee set. It comes with a Lee Factory Crimp Die as well. I've had no experience with lyman dies yet, but I've heard they do well. My Lube sizer is a Lyman 4500.

The Lyman M die is a two step neck expander tool, that allows for easier seating of lead bullets. A real help for seating lead bullets in the case neck.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I would want the rifle in hand before loading for it. I would probably start with one of the 170+ grain flatnose bullets gas checked Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Accurate, NOE but sized to .310 to start, 4198, 2015, 3031, Reloder 7, H335, 748, even BL-C2 all work. The 30-30 is not fussy. Lighter bullets at lower velocities are good for fun, but for early success 'standard' weight and powders work well. In the 30-30, cast bullets will stand up to full power hunting loads. The .308 bullets will probably not work as well as .309 or .310, sometimes a .311 might add accuracy.
    Do you gas-check your projectiles, as well?
    It seems that the Lyman Lube Sizer die that I picked up is .309, as the other option was .311. Considering that the Lee Mold I picked up casts to .309, it does not seem prudent to lube size with a diameter that isn't going to provide a seal to fill the lube grooves.

You may need to get into PC coating. Most 30/30s need 310-311. My Marlin leaded with 310 store bought. Get a 311 Lee sizer. Al GCs are cheaper. Try without using 2400 or Unique for plinker rnds. Full length size for THAT gun. I've never trimmed any 30/30 cases but who knows. Needle nose pliers will flare the 30/30 neck fine. Inset, twist couple times and done. Lee FCD after seating bullet.
    I shake and bake PC, cooking on a hot plate with an old hi-temp plastic pan she gave me. Works without the lid but faster with. Stand bullets on base and cook. My oven collects dust on the shelf. 145g PB PC with unique @ 50 yds, about 1500 fps.

Name:	Scan_20220414.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	301506
    Whatever!

What everyone else says. I still have my pre-64 94 and it accepted .311 diameter 170 cast bullets with gas checks. But my sons 1972 94 work fine with .309 diameter bullets. .311 took some force to chamber but we were able to shoot all 50 rounds. With gas checks, you have more lee way with bullet hardness and bullet sizing.

Tell him you want the rifle in hand if your loading cast bullets. You want the outing to be a pleasurable fun experience. I am using unique and a 170 grain bullet for about 1500 fps. Very pleasurable and cheap to shoot. So…..you got primers?

Boolit Master
    Going back to post 16 - the cost of a box of 100 jacketed bullets to load compared to the cost of a mold , gas check , lube or powder coating , sizing die , a couple different powders to try , and a half brick of primers .......
    I'm not trying to talk you out of it , if you're interested in doing it for the experience it will be money & time well spent .

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Going back to post 16 - the cost of a box of 100 jacketed bullets to load compared to the cost of a mold , gas check , lube or powder coating , sizing die , a couple different powders to try , and a half brick of primers .......
    I'm not trying to talk you out of it , if you're interested in doing it for the experience it will be money & time well spent .
    I certainly am interested in the experience of reloading for this caliber for reloading sake! I may just get into powder coating as well! All I need is some harbor freight powder coat and a sacrificial toaster!
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 06-24-2022 at 08:31 PM.

VariableRecall Here's just another line to think about if your rounds are just for plinking and you'd like to avoid gas checks. One of my favorite 30-30 tin can shooting loads uses the Lee TL314-90-SWC sized down to .310 (Tumble lube or powder coated) over a small charge of fast powder. I use Unique but just about any of the fast pistol-shotgun powders should work just fine. For a little more traditional load the Lee round nose flat point either in 150 or 170gr would be my choice this over IMR 4227 or similar burn rate powder. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    VariableRecall Here's just another line to think about if your rounds are just for plinking and you'd like to avoid gas checks. One of my favorite 30-30 tin can shooting loads uses the Lee TL314-90-SWC sized down to .310 (Tumble lube or powder coated) over a small charge of fast powder. I use Unique but just about any of the fast pistol-shotgun powders should work just fine. For a little more traditional load the Lee round nose flat point either in 150 or 170gr would be my choice this over IMR 4227 or similar burn rate powder. Gp
    I've ordered the Lee 170gn Flat Point mold, as well as the .309 Lube Sizer. I've seen that IMR 4198/3031 is a gold standard for the caliber, and thankfully, I at least have some IMR 4895 to put to use. I think it would be prudent to powder coat these projectiles as well. We aren't looking to reload immediately, we are just going to make sure that at some point we can make his rifle sing again.

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I've ordered the Lee 170gn Flat Point mold, as well as the .309 Lube Sizer. I've seen that IMR 4198/3031 is a gold standard for the caliber, and thankfully, I at least have some IMR 4895 to put to use. I think it would be prudent to powder coat these projectiles as well. We aren't looking to reload immediately, we are just going to make sure that at some point we can make his rifle sing again.
    As always, make sure to make a test round (dummy round or two) I'm a big fan of powder coating cast bullets but keep in mind that the PC changes the bullets dimensions and will enlarge the noses of some bullets to the point that the rounds won't chamber in some tight rifles. My Marlin 336 lever won't chamber a bullet with a nose greater than .301 and shoots bullets .309 on the bands and .300 on the nose just fine without leading. Some 30-30s are also finicky about over all cartridge length having a ball seat and not a traditional throat. You'll get it. Just do proper measurements and try the dummy rounds before you build the real thing. Gp

I let my friends shoot my guns with my reloaded ammunition, but that is as far as it goes.
    I won't reload for other people no matter how good a friend they are.
    I would allow them to use my equipment under my supervision in hopes they would catch the reloading bug.
    Perhaps I'm a little too paranoid, but "Stuff Happens".

Boolit Master
    if I was loading first time for someone to go hunting with.....Id be using book loads and jacketed bullets....Too much can go wrong with first time cast loads ,and make him unhappy ,to say the least.

You're in for a learning curve, but it's a fun one! 30-30 is an ideal cast bullet rifle. If you don't already have a copy, Veral Smith's "Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets" is a great place to start. Tons of good info in there!

I recently loaded up some ammo for my Dad's Model 94 30-30. Using the aforementioned 311008 with plain old COWW alloy PC'd and sized to .310, groups were right at an inch at 50 yds. These were doing 2200+ fps with 18.5 grains of AA#9. This is a low pressure, low recoil load that works great on animals up to deer size.

Note; unless you want to exceed about 2250 fps gas checks are unnecessary when using powdercoated bullets provided your barrel is nice and smooth inside. Good luck!

Boolit Buddy
    If you want subsonic data

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast