Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Arsenal brass moulds

Arsenal brass moulds

They list brass and aluminum molds. Are the brass moulds hard to work with?
    Do they cast pretty much like a steel mold?

Moderator Emeritus

My 2˘
    I haven't cast with a brass mold made by Arsenal, but I have cast with brass molds made by Accurate and MP...as well as casting with several brands of Iron molds and aluminum molds. Each material has it's own characteristics, so as to have their own quirks and advantages. Mostly, Brass molds are heavy...you will find out quickly if you have old and weak arms/wrists when casting with a 4 cav or larger brass mold. Another thing with Brass molds, specifically brand new brass molds, alloy can become "tinned" to the mold face, specifically at the hot spots (usually next to the cavity, by a lube groove.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

JonB I think your 2cents might be worth 4. I had not considered the weight of the brass mold.
    I want get a 257-92 LFP Nobel 4 cav. and that will be heavy. the aluminum molds look great and that most likely will win out.

Boolit Master

Brass is great and Arsenal is a good company. 1st I loved aluminum molds until I moved to Tennessee from Florida and tried to cast in the winter. Steel and brass hold their heat better. Problem is solved with a side hot plate but also extra expense. Brass is heavier if that is an issue and you can't abuse it with too much heat, just slow down if the bullets get frosty. And like JohnB said all have there quirks.

All my molds from MP are brass and I think they are great. Once you get used to them they drop great looking bullets and the 4 cav drops a lot of them. They are heavy though and do wear me out so I cast in smaller lots. It works for me, but you might want more at a time.

Boolit Master
    MP Hollowpoint are the only brass molds I will buy, they are higher maintenance due to tinning. For solid bullets I prefer aluminum or Iron. I have an Arsenal aluminum mold and like it.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

How do you keep your brass molds from tinning? How do you clean them up when they do get tinned?

I have several Arsenal aluminum molds and am very happy with them. But my favorite molds are iron. I wish Arsenal would offer iron molds.

Thanks for the Ideas and comments.
    I do not own any brass molds so That is what i will go with.
    A 2 cav will make plenty of bullets for me
    Thanks Dave

I have a couple of brass Arsenal molds, they work great. With that said, I will take aluminum all day or anything.