Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CVA 54 Cal Hawken overbore issues.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    a sidebar --- yes I have been a fan of CVA's - however every one of them that I have had in my hands has had something wrong with it - from minor parts missing from the first kit I bought -- to -- end cap screws almost penetrating the rifling (raised a bump inside) of a fully finished Pennsylvania rifle. I had this mental picture of a little spanish quality control guy at the end of the production line - theres a conveyor belt marked USA taking boxes of number ones away and beside him is a big box that says "seconds for Australia??" ........so a misbranded barrel would be no surprise to me .......most of the CVA's downunder came from one particular supplier and almost all of them I have seen are 87 vintage, all of which kind of points to a bulk purchase of suspect quality stuff --------thing about it is (after a bit of tinkering) every one of those things shot like a house on fire - they were easy and adaptable to load - whoever figured this out at the start picked the perfect rifling dimensions for a round ball barrel .........sadly they went off making inlines
    Thanks for all the helpful Intelligent replies! I haven't much to do with CVA rifles but the few I have dealt with had "issues" of some sort. My daughter is picking up some .570 round balls from the fella from the Alberta Muzzleloader association and she's bringing them down to me this weekend. Should be able to dry fit one or 2 with different patches, then hit the range.
    Cheers

Boolit Bub
    Well I got some .570 round balls this weekend. With a .010 patch they were just the ticket. Ninety grains of FF and had good accuracy at 50m.

You may want to see about remarking that barrel for the future.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    You may want to see about remarking that barrel for the future.
    Good idea! The local custom rifle builder has a laser engraver.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad it worked out in the end. Have fun with it.

Boolit Bub
    Just went out again and shot the last of the .570's I have! Shoots awesome, 4 shots in just under 2 1/2" at 50m.

Boolit Master
    Work on your load a bit , and I bet you can get similar results or better at 100 yards

Boolit Bub
    I have a .570 round ball mold on order. Hope to get it tuned up nice to 100 so I can use it for the mule deer doe season we have.

Boolit Master

That's great, glad this all worked out. Your dad is smiling!

Boolit Bub
    Was going through my dads garage and all his hunting gear this weekend. On a shelf in his garage with a bit of old handloading stuff I found the instruction book from this kit. It was indeed a Big bore Mountain rifle kit. the instructions were generic and didn't specify caliber.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123