MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: primers

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Just jump in the car and head for Illinois.
    Illinois is on my "actively avoid" list

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PrestoColumbus View Post
    Illinois is on my "actively avoid" list
    At the time I posted there was a member in Illinois selling a fair stash of primers for fair prices. Were I a little closer than Pennsylvania I would have gladly made a drive to pad my stash.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

My local trap range HAD federal small pistol magnum for $75 per K and CCI small rifle for $72 per K. When the smoke cleared 10 days ago after calling 4 other cowboy action shooters, 5K primers were purchased and she had 2K of the small rifle primers left. Small rifle primers work for the rifles of cowboy action and most revolvers if the mainspring hadn’t been too lightened. She had imported 209 primers for $60 per K. I didn’t buy any as I have at least 4 years supply.

Magnum small pistol work just fine for non magnum applications.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I have used more than a few decapped primers in the past. I have never damaged a primer decapping them. Yeah, I use them for unimportant things. I have a bunch (50 or so) of found 40 S&W and 45 ACP, picked up when scrounging brass. They are hanging around taking up space. I could pull the bullets, dump the powder, decap and have primers for a box of 44-40 plinking rounds. I would scrap the brass and I guess the bullets would go on the shelf so maybe it would not free up any space.
    We've been scrounging brass at the range for a few years. It's mostly my son's project for some extra money. I've picked up a LOT of live rounds over the years, mostly 9mm, with the occasional .40 and .45acp. I pull them all apart.

Lead and damaged jacketed bullets go right into the pot for remelting. Jacketed bullets get sorted by weight and occasionally loaded up for plinking ammo when there's enough. Gunpowder gets tossed, and the primed cases also get loaded up for plinking ammo. I know it sounds like a lot of hassle, but it's typically only a handful at a time. They get pulled after sorting brass, and components accumulate slowly, to be used at a convenient later date. Right now I've got maybe a thousand primed 9mm cases sitting on my bench, ready to be used. I recently loaded all the primed 45acp brass that had accumulated. I shot it all in my old S&W 1917 a couple weekends ago, shot fine. With the price of primers, I think it's worth it.

It's amazing just how durable primers are. In the winter we find live rounds on the wet ground or in puddles. Sometimes they are wet inside and the powder comes out in clumps. I used to set them aside to dry out, and then pop the primers in a pistol so I wouldn't have liver primers in my scrap bucket. I found that they almost always fired when dry, so now I just dry and load them too.

When de-priming live primers try not to get too many live primers in the primer catch cup and use primer trays to store them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    When de-priming live primers try not to get too many live primers in the primer catch cup and use primer trays to store them.
    smart thinking
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Mold
    Look at target sports USA. I just bought 5k of large pistol primers for $599. Yes they are pricey and you have to buy them 5k at a time but I’ve not found them anywhere else in the past few months. If a guy could get into a group buy I think that would be the ticket.

Boolit Mold
    Not to rub salt in a wound, but in 2018 Win. primers from Black Hills Shooter's Supply averaged about $135/5K, regardless of size, shipped to your door. Having seen this movie before at least 4 times in the past there is no primer shortage in our loading room. Locally, here in the Alleghenies, primers are available in both of our LGSs at prices running from $125-$225 per K. We just shake our head and leave them on the shelf for others.
    Being a long in the tooth practical pistol shooter, it only took one go around a lot of years ago to learn that the preferred order for stocking up is primers (all sizes), then powders (something pretty versatile like Win 231 and 748). Cases have never been a problem except for some odd ball stuff like .32 H&R. And, as during previous shortages bullets are the first thing to come back as the unprepared run out of?? You guessed it! Primers and powder.
    Don't know when this Sh#t Show will end but when it does remember what it's like to have to bend over just to buy stuff to support your hobby. Off to the range....
    Firearm's resale value should be your children's problem.
    NRA Life, USPSA # CL 58, IDPA A00556

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Summitcitybullets View Post
    ammoseek.com has all kinds of primers now.
    There are a host of imported primers i see on that site. For the foreign primers the prices are often about 8 cents or so. The american made primers are about 12 cents or so each. In few more months I expect the price of primers to go down some more. I can see that for Ammo that SGA is not able to move some of what they have and are trying to lower pricing a little bit to move some of it, but not enough. Market is always supply and demand. 22 rimfire is back at sensible pricing and I hope in 6 months more of the center fire and shotgun also comes back.

Might try Ammoseek.com. https://ammoseek.com/? I have found primer there fo $80.00/M. Plus hazmat & shipping.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12