Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: RIA M200 revolver reloading questions 38 Special

RIA M200 revolver reloading questions 38 Special

I recently purchased a Rock Island Armory M200 pistol with a 4" shrouded under lug barrel. I use to reload for my S&W Mod 10 4" heavy barrel revolver. The model 1 0 is +P rated. The M200 is not +P rated but can be fired with +P occasionally, just not a steady diet of them. My granddaughter now has my Smith, therefore i bought this one. I have Hornady 158 LSWC's, Hornady 148 LHBWC's, and some new cast 148 LHBWC's and Titegroup and HP-38 powders. I am just looking for someone who has experience loading for this pistol and these bullets. This will be my in the field, in the glove box, in the tackle box, and in the night stand revolver. Leaning toward LHBWC as defensive rounds. Any suggestions are appreciated and guidance is always

Boolit Master
    I don't know what propellants you have on hand, but 3.0/W231/158 gr. LSWC or RNFP works pretty well in all revolvers in which I've used it.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Kosh
    Powders i have on hand is Hogdon HP-38 and Hogdon Titegroup. Unable to find any Unique or BE in my area. W231 and HP-38 are pretty close to each other in one of my charts.

Boolit Master
    W231 and HP-38 are the same propellant sold under two different brand names. Check the load I just gave you against the data at the Hodgdon.com website. That load's certainly always been safe in all the revolvers I ran it through, but things have a way of changing.
    As to which projectiles you use, I recommend a RNFP for your first reload, as they tend to go into the cylinder without hanging on the bullet edges, like the LSWC and HBWC. Either of those would be excellent choices for the first rounds in (or OUT of) your revolver.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I have that pistol but I don't shoot +p in any of my 38 specials. If I need more I use a 357 or 44. I do use that 158g bullet with 3.5 grains of hp-38. It works well in my M200.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle