Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 6,5 Remington Mag

Boolit Buddy

6,5 Remington Mag

Looking for suggestions as how to form 6.5 Remington Mag from 300 Win Mag. Crushed a lot of cases, so your help sure would be appreciated. Best, Dan

Boolit Master

anneal the brass then use a 350 rem mag trim die to make the new neck then the 6.5 die then turn the new neck to proper thickness.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I've formed a fair number of cases over the years, upfront I have never done this one. So this is pure guess work.

On other cases, I've had better luck when pushing a shoulder lower on a case is to straighten the case out closer to a straight cylinder then to start necking down and setting the new shoulder in small steps.

I wouldn't rush the annealing until getting the shoulder in the right place, I've tried the annealing before the forming on a couple of cases and have had crumpled shoulders on the majority of them. Only one case conversion needed the annealing before starting forming and I'll be danged if I can remember which one. 280 Ross? 7x61 Sharpe & Hart? Think it was fire forming 7mm Rem Mag into 458 Win Mag in one KABOOM!

Tapered expanding plugs are out there, a Redding tapered expander is what I used to take .243 Winchester to 260 Remington, I'm sure Redding and others have a plug that will straighten out the neck.

Next, without knowing your technique, if you are trying to muscle it in all one push might be part of the problem, try going into the die(s) slowly, in .050", back out turn the case 1/8-1/4 turn and back in. Slow has helped me on more that a few cases.

A little dwell time every time you go into the case seems to help. Let the brass flow. May be my imagination, but the dwell time does seem to help.

If you have a hard time getting them to chamber, grind .010" of the top of the shellholder, reset the die down for proper cam-over and resize. Again a little dwell time can't hurt.

And at times a little more leverage helps:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-450-1-Express

And pipe actually measures at a little over 3 feet in length.

Hope my ramblings help, good luck.

Boolit Man
    There is a bag of 50 new cases on gunbroker right now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Think I read somewhere that its easier to use the shorter 338 wm or even the 264 or 7mm mag than the 300wm

Boolit Master
    I've never reformed a belted mag case but 264 win mag would be the case I'd use all you have to do is push the shoulder back as the case is already 6.5/.264. 2nd choice 7mm Rem mag only .020 difference in neck diameter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    I've never reformed a belted mag case but 264 win mag would be the case I'd use all you have to do is push the shoulder back as the case is already 6.5/.264. 2nd choice 7mm Rem mag only .020 difference in neck diameter.
    Check the neck thickness you probably will have to turn the necks.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!