MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Zinkers! Yikes!

Boolit Master

Zinkers! Yikes!

Well, it had to happen, the geniuses in the state capitol have proposed legislation to ban the use of toxic (lead) ammunition while hunting in New York State. I'm so.......well, I don't think I'm allowed to say how I feel about that! So, I'm getting ready to cast some zinkers. I have a Lyman steel round ball mould and a cast iron pot. I'll need a new ladle, anything else? I thought I'd try my sabot load with the .662" RB for the 12 gauge, I really don't need any more than a shotgun for the woods I hunt. Any input is welcome!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    carry the correct state ordered shells and shoot lead
    moved from ny 6 years ago i know how messed up things are there
    other than hunting and fishing dont miss it

Zinc is in the future of casting. On youtube, you can see how several folks have already made the switch.
    Since it weighs about 60% by volume as Lead, I sort of expect new loading data to start coming out for it too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Well, I eventually worked out how to make full bore shotgun slugs - ZLUGS - and it worked out fine. A lot of the input I got back was negative, and wrong. I used Zamak 3 which is 96% zinc and 4% aluminum. You have to get it HOT, (600+*) I used a propane torch to get it up to temp but no problems after it got to temp. Keep the mold hot too. Zinc weighs in @ 64% of the weight of lead. So I used steel shot weight equivalent loads to start and had them pressure tested. 44 gr Steel powder yielded 1700 fps and less than 10k psi for a 477 gr Zlug. So your .662 weighs about 1oz, so a zinc ball will weigh approximately 280 gr. I doubt there’s steel shot data for a 12 ga 5/8 oz load. If I were to do it I would try a full bore round ball a thousandth or 2 larger than your bore. BTW way, ise a small kitchen ladle bent with pliers to form a spout��
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

If they copied the law here in Commiefornia you will be required to use "certified" ammo. As you know, your word to the gubberment is no good. If you shoot any kind of "odd ball" caliber you won't find ammo. That is why I have given up trying to hunt in state. When it comes to shooting I'm an odd ball.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

Thanks for your replies gents! My load for the .662 RB uses 19.0 gr of Red Dot, yields 1300 fps. Do you guys think I'll have problems using a fast powder like that with the lighter zinc ball? I have no objection to using a full bore RB, my gun has a rifled barrel so I have no worries about developing an accurate load. I'm thinking the fast powder will be OK for a light payload like that. Also, what about diameter, does zinc cast to the same diameter as lead?
    Last edited by centershot; 06-24-2022 at 08:26 AM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    next up I imagine will be ban on lead fishing sinkers and jigs, if they having already done that.

Boolit Grand Master

Back some time and old electric motor shop owner gave me a coffee can of .685 steel ball bearings.. They are also much lighter than lead. So I loaded one with our best lead .685 RB load - 10% powder. Chrono'd it and it was some faster and no pressure issue. Recoil was also less.
    Added the 10% powder. Still no pressure issue.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    next up I imagine will be ban on lead fishing sinkers and jigs, if they having already done that.
    Oh yeah, they did that years ago!

unknown

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Back some time and old electric motor shop owner gave me a coffee can of .685 steel ball bearings.. They are also much lighter than lead. So I loaded one with our best lead .685 RB load - 10% powder. Chrono'd it and it was some faster and no pressure issue. Recoil was also less.
    Added the 10% powder. Still no pressure issue.
    Hi Mike, it's good to hear from you! Thanks for that information and my best wishes to you & yours down in Arequipa!

unknown

Boolit Master

OK, I was informed by a member of a different forum that the ban on lead ammo did NOT pass in the state senate! I can scarcely believe that, but it's true! My source on this matter was (thankfully) incorrect. Sorry to get anyone riled up!

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    If they copied the law here in Commiefornia you will be required to use "certified" ammo. As you know, your word to the gubberment is no good. If you shoot any kind of "odd ball" caliber you won't find ammo. That is why I have given up trying to hunt in state. When it comes to shooting I'm an odd ball.
    This is likely how it will go. I hate living in Commiefonia. You can use certificated bullets to reload your own.

Boolit Master
    I have cast zinc bullets. It works okay.

Coating them is a challenge because of the low melt temp.

You must use a Certified projectile in CA My non toxic Slug made with a STI sabot is On the List. However no one has ever used one. I know this because I have never sold any of them and I have never shot one at a game animal.

But I could if I wanted to.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464885.jpg   100464934.JPG   100464943.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    You must use a Certified projectile in CA My non toxic Slug made with a STI sabot is On the List. However no one has ever used one. I know this because I have never sold any of them and I have never shot one at a game animal.

But I could if I wanted to.

Randy
    Really, how in the living hell were you able to get certification In CA?

Boolit Master

Randy posted that story a couple years ago, you might find it if you search, but it might take a while to find the right thread. As I recall it didn't take too much hoop-jumping and voodoo magic, pretty straight-forward.

unknown