MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk non upgraded...Thoughts? NEED HELP QUICK

Exclamation Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk non upgraded...Thoughts? NEED HELP QUICK

I follow Keith and Skeeter closely but have never gotten me a Blackhawk. I accidentally came across a near mint 1969 Blackhawk 6.5 barrel 357 3 screw. It has not been updated with a transfer bar and the shop is asking $695. The only thing wrong with it is some slight muzzle wear and light scratching on the barrel (almost not worth mentioning). I'm honestly at a loss if I should get it or not. My gun funds are dry but I could let go of some semi auto pistols...HELP me decide quick!

Boolit Master

I don't know if that is a good price in your area or not, but I wouldn't take that for mine.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Keep what you have and start saving money in a GUN FUND for
    future purchases.

The $700.00 is a bit pricy for a shooter

https://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/...=1&PageSize=48
    Last edited by skeettx; 06-22-2022 at 03:52 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus

Completed auctions on GB show them sold from $395-$1100. One from the 60's with no transfer bar was one of the cheaper ones @ $400 or so. It might add some to the trigger but in general they are not what you would be shooting at Camp Perry with anyway. I am too old I guess but see enough that I would not pay that for a new one, I would expect new prices in my area to be around $575. I would have to be set up in 357 and really want it to bite on that.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I thought the 3 screws were like 1k+ guns?

Great gun! Cheap price! Buy it!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I follow Keith and Skeeter closely but have never gotten me a Blackhawk. I accidentally came across a near mint 1969 Blackhawk 6.5 barrel 357 3 screw. It has not been updated with a transfer bar and the shop is asking $695. The only thing wrong with it is some slight muzzle wear and light scratching on the barrel (almost not worth mentioning). I'm honestly at a loss if I should get it or not. My gun funds are dry but I could let go of some semi auto pistols...HELP me decide quick!
    I bought mine in 1970 ... and still have it . Let's say I Love it ... I have cast , reloaded and shot this one more than any other gun I own . The adjustable sighted 38 special / 357 magnum can cover a lot of shooting applications ... perferating tin cans to taking wild hogs .
    These guns are different ... they seem to have a heart and soul ... you become fond of them ... they have personality ... I can't explain it .
    Buy it ... there is just something about these old 3 screw Blackhawks that the newer pistols don't have .
    At $700 you will not loose any money on the deal ... $1200 wouldn't buy mine .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I bought mine in 1970 ... and still have it . Let's say I Love it ... I have cast , reloaded and shot this one more than any other gun I own . The adjustable sighted 38 special / 357 magnum can cover a lot of shooting applications ... perferating tin cans to taking wild hogs .
    These guns are different ... they seem to have a heart and soul ... you become fond of them ... they have personality ... I can't explain it .
    Buy it ... there is just something about these old 3 screw Blackhawks that the newer pistols don't have .
    At $700 you will not loose any money on the deal ... $1200 wouldn't buy mine .

Gary
    Well I won't try to buy it Gary but heck, let's see it at least!

Boolit Master

1971 I bought mine with all kinds of wear for $90 bucks came with 2 boxes ammo 1 357 jsp 158 grain and 1 box 148 grain rem wadcutters. Shot ok but hated the sa grip traded it for a like new S&W Combat Masterpiece 4 inch

I find that it is increasingly hard to price guns. It seems like anything that will go "bang" is $500 these days. I have a more "do I want it" and "can I afford it" mindset. Also I will pay a little more for a gun at the local shop where I can pick it up as opposed to online.

Bottom line; if it is something you want and can afford go for it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is at the very top end of my buy-it range for that gun. I would not buy it.

To me, as a shooter, those are 600 dollar guns.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I would NEVER buy a modified 3 screw or a 2 screw New Model Blackhawk.
    There is just something about the 3screws that speaks to you. Maybe it is the Colt SAA lineage......who knows?
    Having owned many of them over the years, they are great guns.
    The price is a tad high in my book, BUT if you can trade towards it all the better.
    You can also pay once, cry once, and move on.....it's only money!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

Like some other have stated, it is a little high in price. That being said, I can guarantee you the price will NOT be going down in the future!

I would buy and NOT have it converted to a transfer bar. There IS something magical about thumbing the hammer back and listening to the click as it goes through the cycle...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Well, the only defense against inflation, is "spend it now". How much do ya think its gonna be going for next year when our dollars are worth half as much?? jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

hoodat
    +1 ^^^^^^
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

My favorite gun dealer likes this saying: "You can't pay too much, but you may buy it a little early."

I have passed on 'a little too much' before and then waited 30 years to see another offering as good as the one I rejected. No more. If I see just what I want, I am willing to stretch quite a bit to take it home today.

Moderator Emeritus

Prices on everything is crazy, so I can't give advice about it's price.

Bottom line:
    Buy it to collect, don't update it.
    If you want a shooter, get a safer "New Model" and leave that 3 screw for someone else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    My favorite gun dealer likes this saying: "You can't pay too much, but you may buy it a little early."
    I have passed on 'a little too much' before and then waited 30 years to see another offering as good as the one I rejected. No more. If I see just what I want, I am willing to stretch quite a bit to take it home today.
    I bought a 98% shooter 5 screw pre-29 S&W many years ago for $700 when the 4 and 3 screws were just a tad less. No case or tools, didn't even have original grips.
    I have been shooting it with cast mid-range 44's....thousands of rounds.
    I get offered $2000+ for it all the time.
    MAKE YOUR BEST DEAL AND BUY IT!
    Trade something towards it to lessen the pain.
    Then shoot the daylights out of it and enjoy it!
    Take care of it and you will get your money back down the road. Nice untouched 3 screws are already bringing a bit of a premium
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Mold
    My original 3 screw .357 is the best shooter out of all my pistols . It will be one of the last guns I own.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd buy an non-upgraded 3 screw for $695...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast