RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzleloader project recommendations

Muzzleloader project recommendations

Thinking about a new project and I'm considering a muzzleloader. This will be my first black powder project and I'm considering a rifle. I'm not looking for a kit that only requires little more than stock finishing and assembly but I would like something with good instructions. I also want something with a good quality lock mechanism. I don't have any experience at all with these types of firearms so I'd appreciate recommendations from those with some experience.

Thanks for looking.

Best and easiest right now is Kibler. If you would like more challenge, try one from Chambers. Both have top notch components and the best locks you can currently get.
    https://kiblerslongrifles.com/
    https://www.flintlocks.com/

Boolit Master

As Nobade said, the Kibler kits are excellent quality and will require more skill than some of the others. If you choose a kit like this, be patient and ask questions before you act, save some time and effort (and money!) by inquiring first! When finished, they are beautiful! Are you considering a caplock or a flinter? If you're not a member already, come join us at the Tradional Muzzleloading Forum, just Google it!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Kibler is awesome, but it's really just a gun in the white that needs minor work

There are a lot of parts kits to choose from. Some are sketchy dealers, most are good. I doubt it matters where you buy the hardware, there's probably only one manufacturer. The stock and barrel are the things to really watch. While I'm sure there are other good lock makers, you won't go wrong with a Jim Chambers lock. His deluxe siler is amazing, it really changes your mind how effective a rock lock can be.

Avoid Sitting Fox, they are poor dealers. I bought mine from Track of the Wolf. They are very good. I used them because I could walk into the store and inspect it all before buying.

Thanks for the replies!

I thought I'd start with a caplock and perhaps go from there. I had a smokeless powder project I was well along with but due to health problems I hadn't worked on it since 2018. So now that I'm finally feeling better I was planning to pick up where I left off. Problem is I moved 3 times during those years and the barrel and receiver are not in the gun safe where I thought they were. I can't remember when I last saw them but I wasn't worried because I thought they were just in a corner of the safe. I'm pretty sore about it and not interested in starting all over. It was a Chicopee center fire. Frank De Haas plans.

Perhaps it would be better if I start with a Chambers kit so I can see if I enjoy traditional muzzleloaders first. I just don't have the ambition to tackle another from scratch type project like the Chicopee is right now.

I see both the Chambers and Kibler kits are flintlocks. I'm not necessarily opposed to this but I have very limited caplock experience and absolutely none with flintlocks.

What can a newbie who has never fired one expect with a flintlock?

The NATIONAL MUZZLE LOADING RIFLE ASSOCIATION has a very nice series on putting together a Kibler rifle kit. Also, Jim Kibler posted a series on putting together one of his older kits. These are both on YouTube.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Flintlocks are an easier build than a cap lock. As was mentioned, Kibler and Chambers offer good parts, and good locks. Chambers does take a bit more knowledge. Of all the locks I've had over the years, the Kibler took the least tuning, although the Chambers is plenty serviceable as-is.

As far as instructions, that is up to you to supply. I like "The Gunsmith of Grenville County", or "Recreating the American Longrifle".

The learning curve is slightly more with a flintlock, but once learned, I find them to need less fiddling around with. We can talk you through any questions you have on building or shooting.
    Last edited by waksupi; 06-23-2022 at 10:31 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Both Kibler and Chambers kits can be bought with cap locks.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Both Kibler and Chambers kits can be bought with cap locks.
    Eeeewww....

Boolit Master
    Kibler is what you need (AND WANT)/Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I see both the Chambers and Kibler kits are flintlocks. I'm not necessarily opposed to this but I have very limited caplock experience and absolutely none with flintlocks.

What can a newbie who has never fired one expect with a flintlock?
    Expect not to sell your 1st born for a 100 percussion caps ,finding them can be like hunting unicorns!! No joke and I nap my own flints for my Kibler 45 cal SMR and not above doing some arrow heads for my stik bow/Ed

Boolit Grand Master

That depends where you are. Here in SD, percussion caps can be had at a number of stores. They are very expensive, yes, but $12 a tin is on par with other primers. Flints are not hard to get either.

With a really high quality lock, like a Jim Chambers, I often hear reports of 100+ shots per flint. Even if your average is 50 shots per flint, flints are still way cheaper than caps. A knapped flint from TOTW is currently $23 a dozen. The problem is if your lock is not ideal, it can be very frustrating. I had a Thompson Center flintlock that got 2, maybe 3 shots before the flint was done. It's pretty hard to screw up a percussion lock. It it hits, it fires.

With the kits and locks you are considering, you will be just fine with either style. I could be wrong, but I thought Kibler used Chambers locks.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    With the kits and locks you are considering, you will be just fine with either style. I could be wrong, but I thought Kibler used Chambers locks.
    Kibler is making his own locks now. Even the springs are CNC machined, I wouldn't have thought that possible. I have one here waiting on me to do something with it, very good geometry and should make up into a fine rifle someday.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm still working on my TOTW rifle, but I will definitely be getting a Kibler at some point. Now if only we can get him to CNC a SXS flintlock shotgun.

I've been reading about flintlocks a little bit and it appears that there is a 'balancing act' between lots of ignition spark and flint wear. Is that about right or is that oversimplification?

Boolit Master
    The only Flintlock that I have right now is a .75 cal Blunderbuss Kit I got a year ago from Pecatonica.
    The kit was easy to assemble.
    The lock is a Queen Ann by L&R
    It does fire reliably.
    But yes , you do have to look at the Flint after every shot.
    I have had other Cheaper Flintlock guns in the past.
    Those locks were not as reliable.
    They were not all that tight in there tolerances and the frizzens needed to be rehardened from time to time.
    Oh, I forgot.
    The Pedersolli Cub kit is a Flintlock also.
    I went with a flinter since my wife opted to have me build the Crockett Kit for her.
    The lock on the Pedersolli looks very good.
    I am sure it will be as reliable as my other flintlock , but it is a smaller lock and smaller flint.
    Last edited by LAGS; 06-23-2022 at 07:18 PM.

I'm looking at a Pendersolli kit in 32 caliber. Not as much available in the smaller caliber and I think I'll try a flintlock.

By the time you narrow things down to a small caliber flinter that everything is in stock for right now the options get pretty slim pretty fast.

Boolit Master
    You will be very happy with the Pedersolli Kits in either Flint or Percussion.
    I can't wait to finish up some other rifles that I am Rebuilding like T C's so I can start on the Pedersolli Kit and a Lyman GPR kit that I bought two years ago with a extra Hunter Barrel in .50 cal

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have both, but must say that I find flintlocks more fun. Best of luck if you decide to get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast