Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back at her

Banned

back at her

ever since my died, i've been feeling "eh, i get to it tommorow" and i'd go on the porch and read and listen to music a little bit. but friday i started sanding my son's Apache gold stock(richards microstock). i started to use 220 grit but the machine marks on the wood was er......heavy. so i used 40 grit, 100 grit and finally 220 grit. it took me about 2 - 3 hours each day (5 days) or until my eyes were buggy!!! i still have to do some (the roundness of the finger grips) 220 grit, but then i'll move on to 340 grit, 400 grit and finally some bronze/copper steel wool.

the next step will be minwax antique oil and i think minwax wipe on poly(1 or 2 coats). i never did wipe on poly on my other gunstocks, but i will try it. there is always citri strip if it comes out bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-Gloss-W...ci_mcx_mi&th=1

todd9.3x57, That is one weird looking stock.. The work you did looks great! I inherited a chunk of wood that was rough cut for a 30-06, Took me 4 weeks of cutting and sanding to get it close. An took another 2 weeks to do the finish. Hats off to ya!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Banned
    thanks!!! my son appreciates it too. i like the colors of the stock, thats why i bought it.

i have a 1898 spr armory rough cut stock also. it needs slimmed down and then i can start to finish it.

That's going to be a very nice stock, please keep us posted. Hope your son appreciates it and passes it on to his one day.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I use minwax wipe on polyurethane on almost all the stocks I've made. First I apply a single coat to the action cut-out and barrel channel to seal that portion of the stock. The wipe on poly makes it easy to fill the grain: put it on in just one part of the stock at a time with a brush, then sand that area while wet with 320 grit sandpaper. Then wipe off that area with a clean rag. Do this all over the stock and the "powdered wood" from the sanding will fill the wood's pores. Let the stock dry over night, then do the same thing again, but use 400 grit sandpaper this time. After that has fully dried I rub in a very light coat of poly with a clean piece of cloth. I let this dry completely, then buff the stock with fine steel wool to even out the coat. Make sure to wipe away any tiny fibers from the steel wool with a clean cloth or paper towels before applying the next coat. I apply between 3 to 5 coats of poly by hand, buffing with steel wool between coats.

After this I use a spray can of "gloss" Minwax spray on polyurethane to apply a top coat. I usually apply two coats of the spray on, allowing a complete dry between coats. Don't apply too much of the spray on at once or you'll get drips. If that happens let the coat dry, then sand out the drip area and apply another coat over the whole stock. Don't try to rush the job: I'm working on a Richard's microfit stock for a 98 Mauser in 257 Roberts right now. Been working on applying the finish for two weeks. I'm about half way done.

Banned
    i like using minwax antique oil, there is no need to buff between the coats. i use rotten stone and 3 in 1 oil to finish the final coat.

Banned
    this is after my 1st sanding with 340 grit. i wiped on a little bit of water just to see what it should look like when i'm done.

Boolit Master
    Looks kind of like a Rainbow.
    Look at the end of the stock for that Pot of Gold

Boolit Grand Master

Looking pretty good there!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned
    i have three sanding done with 400 grit and now i'm filling with neutral filler.

i waited about 15 minutes per side and then i wiped the filler off. tommorow it should be dried and then i have to sand it to 400 grit again.

I have CRS syndrome.....what rifle is getting that Party! stock?
    It's looking great.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have CRS syndrome.....what rifle is getting that Party! stock?
    It's looking great.

it will be a '16 Spanish mauser in 6.5x55 (Numrich) that i had my gunsmith re-barrel. he also did the timney trigger, 2 position safety, bent the bolt handle, D&T and scope bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That stock looks really cool. It’s a lot more than a simple laminate.

Banned
    other richards stocks i'd like to get are the blue coral and autumn leaves laminate.

The walnut layer really brings it together. Please post it when you finish.
    You can get some beautiful stocks from Richard's.

Banned
    after sanding it with 400 grit and copper/bronze wool, this is one coat of antique oil. i was going to do two, but it is muggy out, 90-95% humidity.

i was trying to get minwax wipe on poly, but i went to three stores and nada. so i got some minwax fast drying polyurethane warm gloss. then today, when i was looking at the stock, i go to myself, "you forgot the brushes, dimwit." so i go to amazon and buy a 2" fine brislte brush and just for kicks, some 2" foam brushes. i never did poly with a foam brush, but i'll try it.

Banned
    i sanded with 0000 copper wool and then a 2nd coat of antique oil. i think i'm done with this step, but i have to make sure if 2 coats of antique oil is enuff.

Banned
    at a cheaper price!!! i'm in!!!!! where do i sign up?

today i'm trying minwax poly with a warm gloss AND mineral spirits, a 3 minwax to 1 spirits. my friend said to use it and a lint free cloth-like and i just happen to have it. he told me that a wipe on poly is expensive and to mix poly with spirits(3:1) will do the same thing that wipe on does, at a cheaper price!!!

i first cooper wool the stock and then i cheese clothed it. then i wiped the stock off with lint free cloth. so i used a skippy peanut jar, 3 oz of poly and 1oz of mineral spirits. then GENTLY shake the jar. i have a a small tupperware bowl that i could splash some it. then a folded lint free cloth is gently put in the 3:1. i put the mixture on the stock the same way the wood grain goes. when i was done, the stock is hung up to dry.

the stock looks good wet, i'll have to see it dry, which will be tommorow. i'll probably do 3 coat of 3:1 and then i will do either rottenstone and 3:1 oil or i will just johnsons paste wax it. i'll have to see.

and i forgot my phone/camera upstairs and i don't wanna get it!!!! lol!!!!
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 07-12-2022 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Ebay links are not allowed

Boolit Master

That is beau-ti-full!
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Banned
    thanks!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast