WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit for 50 gal fuel need cameras

Boolit Master

Hit for 50 gal fuel need cameras

I got hit for 50 gal of fuel, with the cost, I need some motion cameras to put in the machine barn. Looking for cameras that would be hard to see day or night. Want something that takes a good picture that can be used in court. Must work day or night. Want to be able to turn off when working in the barn. Putting locks on all doors today! Might be good to have the cameras alarm in the house.

Boolit Buddy
    i use a wyze camera records to cloud, need to have internet. cheap and works well. they may have other options but it is hard to keep up with changing technology

Vendor Sponsor

look at no glow game cameras.

here is one of many that are available

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-120%C...8DJ5WKVQ&psc=1
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 06-22-2022 at 01:21 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    well there are all kinds of game/trail cameras. if you have decent speed wifi the Reolink cameras are pretty darn good. the ones I have are both wifi and they record to a micro sd chip in the camera. they are cheap enough that you can put up 5 or 6 or more and still be less cost than some of the wired camera set ups like they sell at Walmart.
    there are some great reviews of how to find the best cameras for whatever your situation is on YouTube.
    sometimes having cameras where people can see them is a deterrent but then also have some hidden to go along with an overall security setup.
    there are also some great infer red intrusion alarms like the ones made by miltonsbells.com that will let you know when someone is on your property.

For remote viewing/alarm, internet or cell phone service is needed and many of the cameras DON'T work with Windows. You could set up a local private wireless network but not what most manuf. want. Kinda like the ring camera, worthless without a subscription and cell/internet connection. I haven't found a good inexpensive commercial solution.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

thousands of wireless security cams on the market that do NOT need an internet subscription(but may require the purchase of software to monitor them). If you can find one with its own base station/mini monitor that is the route to go. Amazon has MANY, read the reviews first! Make sure to read 1 star reviews, many will be for never arrived, or arrived damaged, or can't get them to work(human problem)... and are not indicative of a problem.

Moderator Emeritus

Is your pump locked? Gravity fed vs a pump with a switch inside? Accessible only through your rottweilers dog run? There are plenty of deterrents and sad as it seems few county attorneys would prosecute for only $250 of gas. A civil suit would cost more than you would recover. If they got away with no physical deterrents they will be back.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 06-23-2022 at 11:32 AM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Something to be said for nice dome shaped 360 degree camera's outside the door in plain sight. Even a dummy camera Discourage the attempt in the first place. Actual image capture inside should help avoid false alarms. If they camera inside picks up motion then someone is actually inside the locked building and you want the picture and the alert.

Shades of the 70's gas crisis coming back around! I recall a girl that had farm & fleet fuel at her house, she dated a buddy of mine who always could get at least a couple of gallons for cruising when he picked her up. Cute and had gasoline, that was a winning combination in those days.

Losing 50 gallons is a pretty big chunk of money, establishes the price range for security expenses. If you don't have young kids around then may I suggest a Pit Bull with aids?

I agree you might need to push to get prosecutor and police to pursue a "minor" crime such as fuel theft but I think one can make a good case for only a matter of time before it escalates. Either to larger thefts or because the thieves run into a homeowner or are careless and cause a fire.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    Adam20 has a good idea there. I know nothing about tech stuff. Sometimes, hammers seem to be advanced tech for me. If Adam20's idea is plausible, I'd put them in very well hidden locations and then put out the cheapest trail cam obtainable. Let them think they have defeated a simple device and they will never look for the real deal.

Boolit Master
    Was having similar problems at my business with fuel and catylyst thefts, local law says can't do much about it, as its petty theft, and probably transients stealing the fuel (we live adjacent to major highway). But since putting up phony yard cams and getting a big cane corso and a presa canario in the fenced yard no more problems for now. A dog is a great deterrent but if it bites, deny, deny, deny, ownership, probably a stray that got locked in by accident. Dog will need a safe house for a while.

Boolit Master
    I am a refugee Yankee. Where I grew up, 1960's, my bicycle was chained to the shed, shed was locked, bicycle gone. Evil children with boltcutters. We can't have nice things. One person in a thousand is a thief, and they sure are busy.

I have seen neighbors swap propane tanks. The numbers on the empty tank were wrong. Not friendly.
    The 12v pump on your truck's bed tank is designed to steal fuel from an underground tank.
    Lockable spill protection just unscrews unless you weld it.

A full gasoline jug is worth $50? $30 for the gas, $20 for the jug.
    Children stole two of my jugs 2017 in Helena MT.
    Hotel had a video, so what?
    That formed my opinion of Montana.

Boolit Buddy
    My experience with cloud-based WIFI security cams, specifically the Ring line, has been hit and miss. Generally, they just aren't reliable enough to count on as "real" security. This will especially be true if it's mounted in an out-building far from your router.

A better option might be a wired CCTV system with a looping DVR. Or just one of those fake cameras mounted conspicuously to act as a small deterrent.

To be honest, even with HD video and all that, I'm doubtful the cops would do anything more than take a report and tell you "well, we'll look into it, but don't hold your breath..." At least around here, anyway.

If you have an old cell phone and WI-FI nearby you can use that as a camera. Free app called Alfred works well. I taped one to my window after my Trump yard signs were disappearing. Also did not trust my contractor's helper and put two cell phones in my reloading room when I could not be home.

Boolit Master
    2 farm pickups have wifi through AT&T, normally parked in barn. Is it posable to keep the wifi on with the key removed. If the wifi is on can I use the cameras like people use in their house to catch the babysitter doing something. The law around me is real good. Had an aircompresser taken and a deputy sheriff watched several prawn shops and when it showed up they caught the guy and he is doing 5 years now. He got probation and took another air compressor, breaking his probation twice and away he went.

Boolit Master

Another vote for Wyze. They have several models to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Another vote for Wyze. They have several models to choose from.
    Cameras won't do it.
    Bait and switch is the best bet.

Boolit Master
    Or set out some 1/2 full old gas or diesel plastic jugs and see who stalls out close to your location.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

I have heard that chewing tobacco is a good gas additive for the bait and switch.
    They say that sugar doesn't mix as well.

I think I'd set up freebie can filled with about half e85 and water. Camera is gonna only allow you to identify, and maybe determine if it a neighbor or someone you know. Sorry no one in law enforcement will care a fig about less than a $1000 loss, and even then it won't be investigated. I had a brand new mower stolen a decade ago and it was, oh well as far as the sheriff was concerned.

Also, if you are less than half a mile from the shop, I'd add an alarm. I have two of these on my 400 ft drive. Each has different melody and 150 ft apart, as I have wildlife set them off once in a while. HTZSAFE on Amazon. I've used for 5 years, one failed early and they replace under warranty. Solar power works fine. Easy to set up, just break the beam and it turns on the receiver in your house. Or get one with alarm at the shop. Capturing photo is waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    If you go to the courthouse, you loose. A bottle of sugar pop in a can of gas or diesel will teach 'em not to suck eggs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast