Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Sporterized Krag - Front Site Recommendations

Boolit Man

Sporterized Krag - Front Site Recommendations

Hello Folks,

This past weekend, I rescued a pretty heavily sporterized 1898 Krag at a local gun show. Its honestly in pretty good shape. In the future, I may put it back in original configuration, but for now, I'd like to shoot and enjoy it. Among other "modifications", a PO cut the barrel down (but they recrowned it). So, it doesn't have a front sight. It doesn't have a rear sight, but I can fix that.

So, what are my options for a functional front sight for this rifle? I'd prefer something I could silver solder on first (with out cutting a slot or dovetail - although I can do that), and second, a drill and tap option.

I'd imagine it would need to be pretty tall. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master
    Williams sight ramps, with the appropriate height front sight blade has been the standard since before I can remember. Brownells carries all kinds of them, or you can order direct.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Back in the day, folks would chop a Krag barrel and use an 03 front sight band and sight. Heat the band, drive it on, straighten it up and hog out a channel with a drill for the retaining pin.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I used a Winchester model 70 post64 front ramp on my Krag sporter. I cut off the rear screw hole, dressed it up, and soldered it on with normal lead free solder. My rear sight is a Redfield 102K.
    I may have another in the catacombs if you want me to dig around.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 06-22-2022 at 07:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    Have you considered a scout scope setup. The two threaded holes, that are for the rear sight, make a great place to mount a Weaver base. No drilling and tapping the barrel. You can buy a ready made base, or make up your own.

Banned
    on krag #1, i use an old no drill Redfield 102k aperture sight and a 03 front sight. on krag #2, i want to use a S&K mount.

krag #1

krag #2

s&k mount
    http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Back in the day, folks would chop a Krag barrel and use an 03 front sight band and sight. Heat the band, drive it on, straighten it up and hog out a channel with a drill for the retaining pin.
    ^^^ This.

Although the front sight insert blade usually ended up being 1/8" to 3/16" tall above the top of the base when using a military Krag rear sight. If yinz use an 03 blade insert, yinz will have some grinding / filing to do.

I probably have a half dozen 03 front sight bases (without insert) in the 03 parts box if yinz need one.

Noah

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bjordan View Post
    Hello Folks,

This past weekend, I rescued a pretty heavily sporterized 1898 Krag at a local gun show. Its honestly in pretty good shape. In the future, I may put it back in original configuration, but for now, I'd like to shoot and enjoy it. Among other "modifications", a PO cut the barrel down (but they recrowned it). So, it doesn't have a front sight. It doesn't have a rear sight, but I can fix that.

So, what are my options for a functional front sight for this rifle? I'd prefer something I could silver solder on first (with out cutting a slot or dovetail - although I can do that), and second, a drill and tap option.

I'd imagine it would need to be pretty tall. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    bjordan,

My similiar Krag experience was in 2000 when finding a "bubbed" Krag Carbine with a 16.5" barrel and in a sporter stock for $50 at a yard sale needed fixing. My skilled local gunsmith, now deceased, assured me he could fix the gun. $50 later, he installed an 03-A3 barrel 20" long, with A3 front sight and Krag rear tangent sight. He gave me 3 different height front sight blades to minimize filing needed to zero the sights.

My resurrected Krag Carbine is my favorite PA deer woods gun. She shoots cast as well as J boolits to the sights. I hope this helps.

Adam

Boolit Man
    Wow, thanks everyone for the help and ideas!

I sent a PM to Texas by God and asked him to dig around in his spares and see what he may have available.

I'll be back for more questions, I suspect.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    Have you considered a scout scope setup. The two threaded holes, that are for the rear sight, make a great place to mount a Weaver base. No drilling and tapping the barrel. You can buy a ready made base, or make up your own.
    Thanks. I looked at the weaver web site and I didnt see a scope base as you mentioned, only a side mounted one for the Krag. Do you have a link to what you described that would work?

I sent a PM, bjordan.
    This is my setup on my 98 Krag with heavy sporter PacNor barrel.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Lyman and Redfield made banded front sights that would slip on from the muzzle and were then held by a set screw or were soldered. If you have the barrel miked at the sight location you might try E-bay, the sights often show up there.

Boolit Master
    If the original screw holes for the rear sight haven't been plugged you could probably get away with the 1901 rear barrel mounted sight. And get the original screws with the sight as well. Some odd ball thread that they used and does not correspond to our modern day threads. Frank

I would respectfully suggest that, before buying/installing sights, you should first determining the sight heights (front/rear) in relation to the bore C/L.

Doing that would save you from installing sights that will not readily zero.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    FYI there is a Redfield 102K sight for the Krag on E-bay right now.