Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet choice for LCR 327 fed

Boolit Master

Bullet choice for LCR 327 fed

I'm looking at picking up 327 fed mag, there's something about it I like the idea of. Will buy an LCR, "maybe" find a single seven birdshead in the future.

I like the marketing of this round if it actually delivers:
    https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...D327HS1+H.html

I would like to try "duplicating" the 'concept' using cast bullets.

What mold would you pick? think a WC is up to the task? stick with WFN? Doesn't have to fly true past 25 yards ...

Maybe something like this would be more traditional?

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...rg4-cavity-gc/
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 06-22-2022 at 10:41 AM. Reason: first post was too complicated. This is simpler.

Boolit Grand Master

"[I]Maybe something like this would be more traditional?

That would be my suggestion to duplicate the 'concept" with cast bullets. Cast of 40-1 or 30-1 accuracy will hold up well a within your limitations and expansion will be positive.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 06-24-2022 at 05:14 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

The LCR shoots pretty good groups, but the fixed sights mean you don't get to decide where it actually hits. I had no choice with mine but to find a load that shoots to the sights. Some ammo was off by 12" or more at 25 yards. What I was left with was a Speer Gold Dot 100gr shoots pretty close to the sights, at least as close as anything. It's a real shame Ruger doesn't make the LCRX 3" in 327 federal, or just make the regular LCR with those adjustable sights.

Anyway, to answer your question, the cylinder on the LCR is actually pretty generous. You can fit an OAL of up to about 1.59". I've had luck with mine with bullets up to 148 grains, but due to the short barrel, I don't think I'd expect great expansion for bullets over 125 grains. I think NOE's 314-121-WFN with deep hollow point is about as good as it is going to get in the LCR. The trouble is will it shoot to your sights?

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was getting started with the 327 there was a group buy just getting ready to close for a NOE adaptation of the old Ideal 3118. I think they still make it as the 314008(?) and in a solid nose plain base it runs 125 grains with my COWW +2% tin alloy. 1 don’t have the Ruger LCR, but I’ve shot them through my Ruger Blackhawk 8 shooter and my custom S&W stainless K frame in 327 and they both seem to like these big guys fine! It seems any more that I’m liking lighter bullets for most 327 applications including the 313631s from beagle’s modified mould that run about 105 BR in solids.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I'm looking at picking up 327 fed mag, there's something about it I like the idea of. Will buy an LCR, "maybe" find a single seven birdshead in the future.

I like the marketing of this round if it actually delivers:
    https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...D327HS1+H.html

I would like to try "duplicating" the 'concept' using cast bullets.

What mold would you pick? think a WC is up to the task? stick with WFN? Doesn't have to fly true past 25 yards ...

Maybe something like this would be more traditional?

At 25 yards there is absolutely no reason not to use a Wadcutter Design ... and my pick would be the NOE 314 - 90 - WC . This style is seated out of the case , more like a SWC and this design when in 38 cal. is the most accurate in all my 38 special / 357 magnum revolvers . I also have this design in 41 cal. NOE 413 - 215 - WC for my 41 special / magnum revolver and 45 cal. NOE 454 - 264 - WC for 45 acp / auto rim revolver. All are surprisingly accurate and the flat nose hits hard .

If I had a 327 Federal , the NOE 314 - 90 - WC would be the first mould I would buy .
    This design has proven so accurate in my other revolvers I wouldn't be able to stop myself from placing the order .

My nightstand 41 magnum , snubnosed carry guns in 45 acp and 38 special all are loaded with these wadcutter boolits ... I feel very well protected with these loads ...accurate and hard hitting .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE 89gr WC. It shoots well in .32 Long and H&R. I seat it to near flush with.32long, but extended with .32H&R.
    First find out how YOUR gun shoots various weights. Then decide on a mold.
    For my .30SC, it’s going to be the Lee 113gr RFN GC. Over 6.2gr Acc#7 it’s a screaming tack driver.

Let the gun talk to you!

Boolit Master
    Get the gun and buy some cast bullets of several different weights. Try loads at 327 power level, 32 H&R power level and half way in between. Find out what power level you like and what weight your gun likes.

I have a SP-101 in 327. I ended up liking bullets in the 78 to 90 grs range at just above 32 H&R power. The SP-101 does have adjustable sights letting me choose a weight instead of the gun choosing the weight. I like many others have wished for a LCR series 327 with adjustable sights.

Boolit Master
    Whiterabbit, Yes! Of course you should get a couple of 327’s!
    LCR and Bird’s Head Single Seven are great guns for the cartridge.

As for a mold, the light weights defined as <100 grains are fine, but the 327 has plenty of horsepower to get the 115’s and heavier deep into magnum velocities. My favorite is Acurrate 31-117E. It makes the LCR a wicked snubby!

The factory loads are pretty anemic compared to book loads. But that’s often the case with factory loads in any caliber. My 117’s run in the low 1300’s from my LCR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5246696B-FBC1-4474-88B9-586B32F84AC8.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	301499
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

The RCBS 98g bullets are hard ta beat!!

Lyman made a dandy type three WC that was lighter but shot well too.

I dont have a LCR, mine are S7's and I love a heavy 130g Arsenal mold I picked up.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Whiterabbit, Yes! Of course you should get a couple of 327’s!
    LCR and Bird’s Head Single Seven are great guns for the cartridge.

As for a mold, the light weights defined as <100 grains are fine, but the 327 has plenty of horsepower to get the 115’s and heavier deep into magnum velocities. My favorite is Acurrate 31-117E. It makes the LCR a wicked snubby!

The factory loads are pretty anemic compared to book loads. But that’s often the case with factory loads in any caliber. My 117’s run in the low 1300’s from my LCR.

Name:	5246696B-FBC1-4474-88B9-586B32F84AC8.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	301499
    All but a done deal, looking forward to it. BUT

My goal here is not to max out the cartridge. I've done that with 460 S&W, 45 colt, and basically every other cartridge I've loaded, with a few exceptions.

My goal here is to maximize terminal ballistics within 25 yards, ideally justifying a 327 fed over a 32 H&R, while at the same time minimizing recoil as low as possible. After all, if it still recoils like a wild dog, why shouldn't I just get a 38+p or 357? It's "kind of" the smarter buy.

So yeah. Trying to find the right bullet design that's set up for terminal ballistics (HP, WC, WFN, etc) at the right weight to allow for low recoil when driven slightly over H&R capability.

Boolit Grand Master

^^^^^^^^

Again, my answer in post #2 should fit your needs.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

yes sir, and thank you.

The only thing that makes me keep looking is I have a deep desire to use hardball because I literally cast everything with it except roundballs. I would really prefer not to make or use 40:1. I guess I could use dead-soft!

But I imagine hardball will cause expanding problems with that bullet. Otherwise yeah, I think it would be case closed! Maybe I can fashion a super deep HP pin?

It's what has me thinking deeply about WC or WFN.

I will probably get that 84 grn mold no matter what though!

Boolit Grand Master

You might as well stop there. Hardball is the worst possible lead alloy there is for hollow point. You may as well shoot a lower recoil wadcutter at that point. You would be better off with dead soft. It wont handle 45,000 psi, but it could shoot well enough anyway. 30:1, 25:1, 20:1, or 16:1 are much better options. For comparison, I've clocked 100 grain bullets in my LCR 327 at about 1275 fps. 20:1 works great at that speed.

@Larry Gibson, your link does not work.

Boolit Master
    Whiterabbit, yep I get what you’re saying about recoil. And my 117’s doing 1300 fps from the little LCR do recoil and the muzzle blast is fierce!

I also have a light wadcutter. Accurate 31-088W. I’ve run it into the 1400’s with a Single Six short barrel 32 H&R. It’s less recoil and in hardball would probably get you pass through penetration on most bad guys.

Actually, I think for light weight boolits cast in your hardball, 32 H&R would be the better idea. Or, if you’re going to use the LCR, then deep seat in 327 brass to get rid of some of that generous case capacity. 32 H&R velocities with light wadcutters could be what you’re looking for. Say 1000 fps with 88 to 98 grain wadcutters. Very doable in the 327 LCR.

For comparison, my wife’s gun is a 3 & 1/4” Hand Ejector in 32 SWL loaded with that 31-088 at about 800 fps. It’s all the power and recoil she wants deal with.

But….really, a J-Frame in 38 Special is fine choice. I keep a few around loaded with 140-160 grain wadcutters. They’ll work….ok maybe not as spectacularly as your max’d out 460. But they can put a couple of drain holes in thug…which you already know.

You’ll like 327. There’s a lot you can do with it.

Boolit Master

Would the concept change if I used dead soft, or something way high like 50:1 or higher?

would a wadcutter getting pass thru penetration, do you suggest that in a "bad way"? an 88-ish grain WC, I wouldn't "have" to run at 1400 fps (whatever that equates to accounting for the shorter LCR barrel), I could go 100-200 fps lower I am sure. Might reduce over penetration concern?

But would the meplat still be doing its job at the lower speed compared to, say, a hollow point cast in pretty darn soft lead?

(It's starting to become a bit academic discussion but still interesting.... my takeaway is starting to form that I need to simply get both!)

Boolit Grand Master

Well, you did say you wanted to at least give 327 federal power level a fair shake, and I don't think a wadcutter is a good way to go about it. The 327 federal in the LCR is a fantastic combo, probably the biggest development in pocket guns in 50 years. 6 shots of incredible power. Sure, recoil is not as light as 38 special, but you are getting performance that is right up there with the best 357 magnum rounds today that only hold 5 rounds.

You don't need a hollow point, but assuming you are trying for the same thing as the cool kids today, that 12" to 18" of gel penetration with as much wound as possible, that's going to be best achieved with a hollow point. To do that you will need an alloy somewhere in the ballpark of 20:1. 30:1 is fine, 16:1 is fine. Even clip on wheel weights cut 50:50 with soft lead is fine. There's a lot of options. Dead soft lead at these pressure levels do not shoot good. They may or may not shoot adequate at 25 yards.

Boolit Master
    If you get a 327 LCR I expect you’ll try several different boolits and load them from slow to WOW! It’ll be a hoot. You should do it.

But when the gun smoke clears and the stings of gallon water jugs have been picked up, I think you’ll find you can get JHP performance from a wadcutter just by using the pressure and case capacity the 327 brings to the table.

Name:	9A3DDDDC-0232-4195-B22A-B41B1AC1156F.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	301509

At least I did.
    Although the 100 grain Hornady JHP stopped in the 4 jug and the 117 cast stopped in the 5th, I think the performance is close enough that I don’t need to buy JHPs and I carry the 117 wadcutters.

And when above I referenced complete pass through with wadcutters, yes, I see that as an advantage. It’s like double tapping but with holes on opposite sides of the felon.

Boolit Grand Master

Well that's not really a wadcutter, but a WFN. Plus you aren't getting that nice rivet with hardball either. Looks like a great option though.

Boolit Master
    Megasupermagnum, yes, yes and yes.

But…my 117 WFN has a meplat very similar to a wadcutter and the external ballistics are very similar to a WC. I like my 117 WFN bc it leaves me more space in the case for powder and I use it! But, the OP is skittish about using the 327 near its potential and it seems we’ve drifted towards WC’s in this thread, so I did refer to my WFN as a WC.

If Whiterabbit does get his LCR and sticks to hardball alloy, I doubt he’ll get any expansion. That’ll mean lots of penetration. Which could be ok, but then I’d trade some of the velocity and muzzle blast for less recoil, less power and less penetration. Since less recoil and less power seem to be where he wants to go, a WC would certainly make sense.

He mentions dead soft or 50:1. My thought is you’ve got to go to pretty low pressure and low velocity to keep such a boolit from stripping the riflings and tumbling out of the muzzle. The low pressure/low velocity idea is where 38 Special shines. 327 isn’t any better than 32 SWL or 32 H&R if you don’t let the ponies run!

Boolit Master
    The .327 is all about velocity. Powder coated Lyman #2 alloy and a wfn boolit is where i would start. Not much point in buying it to load light. I thought a long barreled single seven would be nice if the price would get back to normal.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast