Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Long range hunter breaks down anti long range Hunter

Boolit Grand Master

To be honest, I don't hunt to impress him nor anyone else. I hunt to kill an animal as quickly and cleanly as possible regardless of the range of the shot. If i don't have 100% confidence of the shot accomplishing that regardless of the range, then I don't take it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

A Humane kill is paramount to me. I have passed on 100 yard shots where the angle isn't quite right to guarantee that. And, I needed that deer. Even as a boy, if I noticed one the the fish on my stringer fighting it while the others gave up, I'd set him loose. There has to be some fairness.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Not related to game but relevant to loooong range:

A few years ago, I bought a nice Savage model 10 in 7mm-08, with a custom heavy stainless barrel and a 4-14x Burris scope. I’d always wanted a rifle in this caliber and it came at a good price from a collection that contained a Sako 308 with Unertl scope/rings and a Remington 40-X in 308.

I went out to my 125 yd range to check zero and initially had no idea where the bullets were landing. Finally, I aimed at the ground noticed a hit higher up. The previous owner had the scope set almost 18” high at that distance so I have no idea how far he was shooting. I was worried the scope wouldn’t internally adjust that much for me but I was able to bring it down and there was no windage offset.

The rifle shoots dime size groups at 125 yds with Federal factory ammo and 139 gr pills - it’s taken several deer with one shot each. All dropped where hit without running.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    " I've killed antelope with revolvers and smooth bore flintlocks. Close is hunting, and if you want to impress me, tell me how close you got."

Respect
    Years ago I did metal work for a trade gun builder. He invited me to go on an antelope hunt in Wyoming using one of his smoothbore flintlock trade guns. We sat in a blind over a water hole. It was the only water in the area. The antelope knew something wasn't right but they got so thirsty they came in anyway. We both got nice bucks but that was the least sporting "hunt" I have ever been on. That was the first and last time I "hunted" over a water hole. Never shot one with a revolver but I have taken them with a Contender in 357 Herrett and with recurve and compound bows mostly staking use a 2D decoy.

Slob hunter are slob hunters and they are everywhere there are hunters. The get close types have slob hunters and the long range types have slob hunters. Personal observations with years of party hunting is the 30/30 type "touch the rifle once a year" guys wounded a very high percentage of deer.

I lost my first deer with a bow in 1970 at the age of 10. It bothered me greatly. Between deer and antelope with the bow I have killed about 80 without a loss. With the rifle I have lost one out of 200 plus. It was less than a 75 yard standing shot. I hit a branch maybe 10 yards in front of the deer.

I am mostly colorblind and at best I am a poor tracker. I normally limit my game animal shooting yardages to 1/2 or less of my actually shooting abilities. I have finished game wounded by others in the 500 and 600 yard ranges. I have killed prairie dogs at over 1,000 yards and coyotes at over 600 yards so I do apply different standards for some varmints.

Not my place to judge others and their methods if they are cleanly killing their game. I respect good hunter period. Slob hunters not so much.

I hunt within my limitations period.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-23-2022 at 10:40 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    I would think that the smell of coffee would alert a mindful old buck?
    i am disabled(right arm/leg are kaput) so the old mindful buck days are gone. i go for meat nowadays. if the deer is big enuff body wise, i'll shoot. if its a yearling, it goes away for another day.

i used to smoke cigarettes during my hunt and pee on the ground and i still killed deer.

Boolit Grand Master

I would think that the smell of coffee would alert a mindful old buck?
    One of my dads buddies in the 70's had a tree stand maybe 400 or 500 yards from mine. He smoked cherry flavored pipe tobacco. If the wind was right I could smell it when he lit up. I figured it would spook all the deer away. Actually I knew it would since I read all the hunting and gun rags of the time and that what they claimed would happen.

It was just the opposite. The deer would get curious and walk right up to his stand. Big buck, does and fawns all did the same. I could see them move but there was heavy brush and trees so my shots were limited.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-23-2022 at 09:35 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Years ago I did metal work for a trade gun builder. He invited me to go on an antelope hunt in Wyoming using one of his smoothbore flintlock trade guns. We sat in a blind over a water hole. It was the only water in the area. The antelope knew something wasn't right but they got so thirsty they came in anyway. We both got nice bucks but that was the least sporting "hunt" I have ever been on. That was the first and last time I "hunted" over a water hole. Never shot one with a revolver but I have taken them with a Contender in 357 Herrett and with recurve and compound bows mostly staking use a 2D decoy.

Slob hunter are slob hunters and they are everywhere there are hunters. The get close types have slob hunters and the long range types have slob hunters. Personal observations with years of party hunting is the 30/30 type "touch the rifle once a year" guys wounded a very high percentage of deer.

I lost my first deer with a bow in 1970 at the age of 10. It bothered me greatly. Between deer and antelope with the bow I have killed about 80 without a loss. With the rifle I have lost one out of 200 plus. It was less than a 75 yard standing shot. I hit a branch maybe 10 yards in front of the deer.

I am mostly colorblind and at best I am a poor tracker. I normally limit my game animal shooting yardages to 1/2 or less of my actually shooting abilities. I have finished game wounded by others in the 500 and 600 yard ranges. I have killed prairie dogs at over 1,000 yards and coyotes at over 600 yards so I do apply different standards for some varmints.

Not my place to judge others and their methods if they are cleanly killing their game. I respect good hunter period. Slob hunters not so much.

I hunt within my limitations period.
    I rate tree stands with blinds. The hunting shows with guys shooting deer from blinds over bait disgust me.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I rate tree stands with blinds. The hunting shows with guys shooting deer from blinds over bait disgust me.
    What you or I find "proper" doesn't matter. As long as it's legal. If I don't like that method I don't use it. If I really don't like the law I can and have gone to the state legislator and had it changed. I have done that three times.

I mostly deer hunt will archery. I really enjoy the hours I spend in the tree stand. I use a ground blind for archey turkey hunting and I enjoy that also. Same for using a blind goose hunting. Your approval is not required.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-24-2022 at 04:02 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

I preferred tree stands during regular rifle season just to help me get a bit above potential lines of fire. Hearing a bullet whizzing overhead is a bit ...... unsettling. One of the reasons I quit deer hunting, too. Hunting baited areas in my home state is illegal and I agree that it should be with the exception of feral hogs.

That said, based on hunting accident reports if someone convinces someone else to climb a tree to flush a squirrel that someone else is going to get shot.

Not sure where people get their ideas or where they come from but apparently they are out there.

TV show of the football player and GF. He shot a 'goat' from 400 so yds, over a river. Had the knowhow - most don't. GF dropped the rifle and bumped the scope, missing most shots. Know your limits.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    If you have the skill and equipment to cleanly kill a game animal at whatever given range you're comfortable shooting it at, then I have no problem with it. Be it 25 or 2500 yards. There are many that can and do make clean kills at extended distances. But...

Given the popularity and attention that "long range hunting" gets these days on TV and the internwebs, there are quite a few people experimenting with it that have neither the skill nor equipment required. These are the goobers that shoot elk in the hind quarters at 800 yards and leave them to suffer because they're too lazy to cross the canyon to go look. This is where I have an issue with "long range hunting"

But not all "short range hunters" are worth a damn either. I worked with a guy about 15 years ago that got into bow hunting. One season, he shot arrows into 6 different cow elk and didn't recover any of them. He claimed the longest shot was around 30 yards. He'd stick them, then look for a bit, then declare "oh well, better luck next time" and try again the next Saturday. After we found out, we teased him mercilessly for "stick and release" hunting. What a *******. Those animals deserved better.

Banned
    i'm glad that you don't make laws. us disabled people have a hard time as it is. PA doesn't use bait, its illegal. i used to love tree stands. i'd use them for bow and rifle season. my ground blind is 4"x4"'s screwed together to make a box. then some camo netting and staplers. then i weave sticks (well, my brother) thru the netting. then in the middle of that, there is hunting swivel chair. i used the ladder stand minus the ladder, but the tree fell over on it. i have another ladder stand minus the ladder out in the woods, but i haven't used it in 4 or 5 years.

Boolit Master
    What's the difference in hiding behind a blind, & hiding behind a cedar or a bush? When you stalk you look for concealment, Right?

Boolit Master
    By the way, I'm disabled too. Wish I weren't, but that is the way it is.

Banned
    By the way, I'm disabled too. Wish I weren't, but that is the way it is.

yep, i agree with ya!!! i'd be happy if i could stroll around in the woods, but my right arm/leg is kaput due to a bad stroke. i can gimp around a little bit, but fallen trees and branches, hills and stuff like that don't let me gimp pretty far. even so, i drive my polaris utv back into the woods on a trail, i get out and gimp my way uphill to my blind. i'm ecstatic to see a deer, let alone shooting one. if i do shoot, i can put my winch on a tree(gummy straps) and pull it to my polaris or i can wait for my brother to show up and drag it out. i love seeing the deer, shooting a deer, not so much.

Well, believe it or not, smacking a slightly bent barrel on something like a tree was an accepted and taught skill at Colorado School of Trades when I went through their gunsmithing course in 1981-82. They had their favorite sort of spongy telephone pole (still in use with the wires) as the immovable object. It's a learned skill. You have to look through the shiny bore toward something like a heavy phone wire that will make a reflection line down the bore and look for where the line changes angles slightly, and that's where the bend is. Then you smack it on the opposite side to bend it back toward center. Or, this can be done by just observing the light shining through a barrel with the right lighting conditions. In the old time gun factories they had a device that looked much like a spoked steering wheel crossways on top of a steel pole like a "T". The barrel straightening workman would place the barrel through the rim and one of the spokes and look through it out of a window or toward a light, observe where the line changed direction, and pull down on the barrel-- a bend instead of a whack. I have straightened several shotgun barrels using the whack technique, but not a rifle barrel.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Well, believe it or not, smacking a slightly bent barrel on something like a tree was an accepted and taught skill at Colorado School of Trades when I went through their gunsmithing course in 1981-82. They had their favorite sort of spongy telephone pole (still in use with the wires) as the immovable object. It's a learned skill. You have to look through the shiny bore toward something like a heavy phone wire that will make a reflection line down the bore and look for where the line changes angles slightly, and that's where the bend is. Then you smack it on the opposite side to bend it back toward center. Or, this can be done by just observing the light shining through a barrel with the right lighting conditions. In the old time gun factories they had a device that looked much like a spoked steering wheel crossways on top of a steel pole like a "T". The barrel straightening workman would place the barrel through the rim and one of the spokes and look through it out of a window or toward a light, observe where the line changed direction, and pull down on the barrel-- a bend instead of a whack. I have straightened several shotgun barrels using the whack technique, but not a rifle barrel.

DG
    It's probably still taught today. As you indicated using light rings works but I find it easier on smoothbores than it is on rifled barrels. On shotgun barrels using too hard of wood you can dent the barrel. I've had to remove dents on several. Owners were trying to adjust POI. Tires were also commonly used. I use to see both methods used a lot on trap ranges in the 70's and early 80's.

There are much more professional methods if you have a mill and a lathe available. Shotgun barrels tend not to walk even if they have series on bends in them. I've been told it's the same for the softer steel muzzleloader barrels but I've never straighten one. On 4130/4140/400 series SS rifles barrels not so much. The wack-a-pole/tire method tends to produce a series of bends verse actually removing the original bend in a professional manor. If you don't care about POI walking or accuracy than it's a good method for rifle barrels................

A good thread here with pics of the Savage press: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-straightening

One of the Castboolits members did a nice fixture for doing shotgun barrels. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...97#post4518897
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-25-2022 at 03:07 AM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Snobs are like Slobs ,you pick the definition that describes you best /I already have !/Ed

My hunting habitat. Note the tree stand. Maybe some of you experts could give me a lesson on 400 yard shots or stalking in this environment when the property line is 75 yards away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Thumbcocker; 06-25-2022 at 08:49 AM.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    The amount of time I have during hunting season dictates what weapon I'm going to be using. My slow season doesn't usually line up with hunting season. Hands down absolute favorite hunting is spot and stalk open country mule deer with a traditional bow. My favorite way ensure a full freezer is with a rifle that's capable of 1/2 moa at 1000.

I have a family of meat eater and I try to keep an elderly neighbor couple in game meat as well so more often than not I'm taking longer shots here in the desert to maintain freezer levels. I got to hunt 5 days in 2021 4 shots resulted in 2 dead elk and a mule deer buck ranges of 70 yards to 548 yards.
    Last edited by dk17hmr; 06-25-2022 at 08:58 AM.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast