Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Long range hunter breaks down anti long range Hunter

Long range hunter breaks down anti long range Hunter

One of the best videos I've seen in a while. Somone who actually long range hunts. Has video evidence, ballistic evidence,a in depth knowledge breaks down all the bull crap from someone who has a vendetta against it.

A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

The gentleman if the video is knowledgeable enough to understand what a blowhard the so-called "real gunsmith" is. Beyond that I am not impressed either one of them.

If you want the "real deal" Bryan Litz of Applied Ballistics is a good start.

https://appliedballisticsllc.com/

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Bryan+Litz

https://www.youtube.com/c/AppliedBallisticsLLC

https://www.facebook.com/bryan.litz.3

https://www.facebook.com/BryanLitzBallistics
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-22-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    What distance does one consider long range?

For me ballistics isn’t the issue, as one can always use more gun, but when you pull the trigger and the animal takes 3 steps before impact, that’s probably not a quality shot.

Also for me, hunting is primal, so sniping a deer at 600 yards where he can’t see me, smell me, or hear me is not the experience I am looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I see where this post is going already
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    What distance does one consider long range?

For me ballistics isn’t the issue, as one can always use more gun, but when you pull the trigger and the animal takes 3 steps before impact, that’s probably not a quality shot.

Also for me, hunting is primal, so sniping a deer at 600 yards where he can’t see me, smell me, or hear me is not the experience I am looking for.

Well that really depends. Not something that you can just pin a number on. I guess first thing would be to look at there your shooting. I mean if I'm somewhere like Wyoming a average shot might be 300yd because is plains and everyone is running 260rems. Where as here in Ms that same 300yd might be across three pastures and that can be long range for us...
    Idk guess you could look at to to where you perticular load is running maybe. Or it could , and this is what I think is the most appropriate, is what you as a shooter consider. I routinely shoot my .22lr at the range and have deer hunters tell me I'm at long range because I'm slapping small plates @100yd. To them that's long range. That's their limit and that perfectly fine.
    And if long range shooting just isn't something youd like to do , that perfectly fine as well. Hunting is something different for everyone. Personally it's a mix for me. On one had I like hunting hogs with night vision and all that on the other I like stalking small game with a air rifle and on another I love the ideal of long range. But the idea of just sitting in a box stand looking at a food plot just dosent seem like hunting to me.but it's different for others and that just plain fine.

And I gotta say if someone can't hit what their aiming at at a certain range they shouldn't be hunting at that range. Bow gun spear whatever.
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Well that really depends. Not something that you can just pin a number on. I guess first thing would be to look at there your shooting. I mean if I'm somewhere like Wyoming a average shot might be 300yd because is plains and everyone is running 260rems. Where as here in Ms that same 300yd might be across three pastures and that can be long range for us...
    Idk guess you could look at to to where you perticular load is running maybe. Or it could , and this is what I think is the most appropriate, is what you as a shooter consider. I routinely shoot my .22lr at the range and have deer hunters tell me I'm at long range because I'm slapping small plates @100yd. To them that's long range. That's their limit and that perfectly fine.
    And if long range shooting just isn't something youd like to do , that perfectly fine as well. Hunting is something different for everyone. Personally it's a mix for me. On one had I like hunting hogs with night vision and all that on the other I like stalking small game with a air rifle and on another I love the ideal of long range. But the idea of just sitting in a box stand looking at a food plot just dosent seem like hunting to me.but it's different for others and that just plain fine.

And I gotta say if someone can't hit what their aiming at at a certain range they shouldn't be hunting at that range. Bow gun spear whatever.
    Yeah I agree. I do hunt predators farther as well. Especially coyotes…

Boolit Master
    after viewing the video that the real gunsmith posted showing how he straightens a barrel by smacking it against a log was the last time I thought about viewing any of the videos he posts. some of the best shooters and proven experts at long range shooting seem to share lots of knowledge at the accurate shooter web site and also at longrangehunting forum. there are also some pretty darn good long range shooting experts that share knowledge right here on this site. YouTube is a mixed bag and quite often a quest for the almighty dollar that ends up driving the motivation for many posters there. a couple guys on there that seems to really know what they talk about is Paul harrel and hickock45 those are just 2 of many that ive noticed to be no nonsense.

Yep. Same place it's gone on the other forums you posted it on. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Yep. Same place it's gone on the other forums you posted it on. Imagine that.
    Lol what can I say I'm a little addicted to sharing stuff I find interesting especially if I find it well made and explained
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Do the math on a long shot. I’m not impressed with someone who can hit a stationary target at long distances….I can do that myself. An animal takes one small step and by the time the bullet gets there it’s a miss or a very bad hit. Shooting like that becomes unethical. A game animal deserves better than that. Sorry, but I don’t consider this “hunting”.

I am impressed by long range marksmanship. But to me shooting and hunting are different. If you want to impress me as a shooter tell me how far you were. If you want to impress me as a hunter, tell me how close you got.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    I'm not a hunter so my opinion can vary on the situation , if your hungry and trying to feed yourself or your family there's no place for ethics . If a 600 yard hail Mary is your opportunity you take it .

Hunting for sport is an entire different matter . If your taking a chance you shouldn't be pulling the trigger period .

That's just how I see it .

Lol what can I say I'm a little addicted to sharing stuff I find interesting especially if I find it well made and explained
    Don't be surprised and complain when others see it through different eyes. Just because someone can do something and it turns out as expected doesn't automatically mean it was a wise choice.

I've found dead game animals on multiple occasions that were obviously poorly shot. Worst one I remember was a dead deer lying in a creek with the front of it's head shot off. Apparently it died trying to get a drink that had become an impossible task because someone tried something they shouldn't have. Gruesome doesn't begin to cover it.

If you aren't open to other opinions then I'd suggest not asking for them.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 06-22-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I am impressed by long range marksmanship. But to me shooting and hunting are different. If you want to impress me as a shooter tell me how far you were. If you want to impress me as a hunter, tell me how close you got.
    ^^^
    Yes, this!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post

Agreed... the animal has to be 'all in'.. and the human has no skin in the game when you are hunting at extreme range.

I like stalking.. I like 'yardage' shots... IE.. ones where the animal can come visit you if he wants. And that includes handgun hunting and express double rifles that regulate at 50-75 yards.. etc...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    This ^^^^^

Boolit Master

From these couple posts.. can we assume that you are 'anti close range hunting" ?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    after viewing the video that the real gunsmith posted showing how he straightens a barrel by smacking it against a log was the last time I thought about viewing any of the videos he posts. some of the best shooters and proven experts at long range shooting seem to share lots of knowledge at the accurate shooter web site and also at longrangehunting forum. there are also some pretty darn good long range shooting experts that share knowledge right here on this site. YouTube is a mixed bag and quite often a quest for the almighty dollar that ends up driving the motivation for many posters there. a couple guys on there that seems to really know what they talk about is Paul harrel and hickock45 those are just 2 of many that ive noticed to be no nonsense.
    I have a tree outside my shop specially trained for straightening barrels. It works. I know several other old time gun builders who do the same. Pretty easy to do, if you know how to read what you are doing on the inside of the barrel.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have noticed over the years, the long range competition shooters I have shot with, know the limitations caused by wind and unpredictable animal movement, and won't take what would be considered a long shot at game. I find no good cause to shoot when you can't be sure of the result. I've killed antelope with revolvers and smooth bore flintlocks. Close is hunting, and if you want to impress me, tell me how close you got.
    I've also had the experience of someone telling me about the 600 yard shot they made on a deer. Take them to a thousand yard range, and they cut the distance they shot considerably, when they actually see how for that is.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Long range hunters don't impress me.

Headshots on deer at one mile posted on Youtube fail to impress me.

Randy Selby impresses me. Everything about Randy Selby as a hunter and a gunsmith impresses me.

It should be pretty obvious that there really is no such thing as long range hunting.

There is only hunting.

1. can you reliably place a kill shot at that distance

2. will your bullet retain enough energy to make a quick kill if placed correctly

3. can you reliably find the animal for a follow-up shot if you wound it

Shooting at animals far away and hoping for a hit is new generation entitled snowflake crap.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast