RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
ADvertise hereLee PrecisionBonettRotoMetals2

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4430 USD (74%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****


Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 104

Thread: Long range hunter breaks down anti long range Hunter

  1. #1
    Boolit Master Wolfdog91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Amite County MS
    Posts
    599

    Long range hunter breaks down anti long range Hunter

    One of the best videos I've seen in a while. Somone who actually long range hunts. Has video evidence, ballistic evidence,a in depth knowledge breaks down all the bull crap from someone who has a vendetta against it.



    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

  2. #2
    Boolit Grand Master



    M-Tecs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,861
    The gentleman if the video is knowledgeable enough to understand what a blowhard the so-called "real gunsmith" is. Beyond that I am not impressed either one of them.

    If you want the "real deal" Bryan Litz of Applied Ballistics is a good start.

    https://appliedballisticsllc.com/

    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Bryan+Litz

    https://www.youtube.com/c/AppliedBallisticsLLC

    https://www.facebook.com/bryan.litz.3

    https://www.facebook.com/BryanLitzBallistics
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-22-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

    "Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

    "The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

  3. #3
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    581
    What distance does one consider long range?

    For me ballistics isn’t the issue, as one can always use more gun, but when you pull the trigger and the animal takes 3 steps before impact, that’s probably not a quality shot.

    Also for me, hunting is primal, so sniping a deer at 600 yards where he can’t see me, smell me, or hear me is not the experience I am looking for.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Boolit Master Wolfdog91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Amite County MS
    Posts
    599
    Well I see where this post is going already
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

  5. #5
    Boolit Master Wolfdog91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Amite County MS
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    What distance does one consider long range?

    For me ballistics isn’t the issue, as one can always use more gun, but when you pull the trigger and the animal takes 3 steps before impact, that’s probably not a quality shot.

    Also for me, hunting is primal, so sniping a deer at 600 yards where he can’t see me, smell me, or hear me is not the experience I am looking for.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well that really depends. Not something that you can just pin a number on. I guess first thing would be to look at there your shooting. I mean if I'm somewhere like Wyoming a average shot might be 300yd because is plains and everyone is running 260rems. Where as here in Ms that same 300yd might be across three pastures and that can be long range for us...
    Idk guess you could look at to to where you perticular load is running maybe. Or it could , and this is what I think is the most appropriate, is what you as a shooter consider. I routinely shoot my .22lr at the range and have deer hunters tell me I'm at long range because I'm slapping small plates @100yd. To them that's long range. That's their limit and that perfectly fine.
    And if long range shooting just isn't something youd like to do , that perfectly fine as well. Hunting is something different for everyone. Personally it's a mix for me. On one had I like hunting hogs with night vision and all that on the other I like stalking small game with a air rifle and on another I love the ideal of long range. But the idea of just sitting in a box stand looking at a food plot just dosent seem like hunting to me.but it's different for others and that just plain fine.

    And I gotta say if someone can't hit what their aiming at at a certain range they shouldn't be hunting at that range. Bow gun spear whatever.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Well that really depends. Not something that you can just pin a number on. I guess first thing would be to look at there your shooting. I mean if I'm somewhere like Wyoming a average shot might be 300yd because is plains and everyone is running 260rems. Where as here in Ms that same 300yd might be across three pastures and that can be long range for us...
    Idk guess you could look at to to where you perticular load is running maybe. Or it could , and this is what I think is the most appropriate, is what you as a shooter consider. I routinely shoot my .22lr at the range and have deer hunters tell me I'm at long range because I'm slapping small plates @100yd. To them that's long range. That's their limit and that perfectly fine.
    And if long range shooting just isn't something youd like to do , that perfectly fine as well. Hunting is something different for everyone. Personally it's a mix for me. On one had I like hunting hogs with night vision and all that on the other I like stalking small game with a air rifle and on another I love the ideal of long range. But the idea of just sitting in a box stand looking at a food plot just dosent seem like hunting to me.but it's different for others and that just plain fine.

    And I gotta say if someone can't hit what their aiming at at a certain range they shouldn't be hunting at that range. Bow gun spear whatever.
    Yeah I agree. I do hunt predators farther as well. Especially coyotes…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,792
    after viewing the video that the real gunsmith posted showing how he straightens a barrel by smacking it against a log was the last time I thought about viewing any of the videos he posts. some of the best shooters and proven experts at long range shooting seem to share lots of knowledge at the accurate shooter web site and also at longrangehunting forum. there are also some pretty darn good long range shooting experts that share knowledge right here on this site. YouTube is a mixed bag and quite often a quest for the almighty dollar that ends up driving the motivation for many posters there. a couple guys on there that seems to really know what they talk about is Paul harrel and hickock45 those are just 2 of many that ive noticed to be no nonsense.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master Hannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East of KCMO
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Well I see where this post is going already
    Yep. Same place it's gone on the other forums you posted it on. Imagine that.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master Wolfdog91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Amite County MS
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Yep. Same place it's gone on the other forums you posted it on. Imagine that.
    Lol what can I say I'm a little addicted to sharing stuff I find interesting especially if I find it well made and explained
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    2,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Well I see where this post is going already
    Do the math on a long shot. I’m not impressed with someone who can hit a stationary target at long distances….I can do that myself. An animal takes one small step and by the time the bullet gets there it’s a miss or a very bad hit. Shooting like that becomes unethical. A game animal deserves better than that. Sorry, but I don’t consider this “hunting”.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master Thumbcocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    Posts
    4,068
    I am impressed by long range marksmanship. But to me shooting and hunting are different. If you want to impress me as a shooter tell me how far you were. If you want to impress me as a hunter, tell me how close you got.
    You'll go far providin' you ain't burnt alive or scalped."

    Will Geer as Bear Claw in "Jeramiah Johnson"

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    518
    I'm not a hunter so my opinion can vary on the situation , if your hungry and trying to feed yourself or your family there's no place for ethics . If a 600 yard hail Mary is your opportunity you take it .

    Hunting for sport is an entire different matter . If your taking a chance you shouldn't be pulling the trigger period .

    That's just how I see it .

  13. #13
    Boolit Master Hannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East of KCMO
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Lol what can I say I'm a little addicted to sharing stuff I find interesting especially if I find it well made and explained
    Don't be surprised and complain when others see it through different eyes. Just because someone can do something and it turns out as expected doesn't automatically mean it was a wise choice.

    I've found dead game animals on multiple occasions that were obviously poorly shot. Worst one I remember was a dead deer lying in a creek with the front of it's head shot off. Apparently it died trying to get a drink that had become an impossible task because someone tried something they shouldn't have. Gruesome doesn't begin to cover it.

    If you aren't open to other opinions then I'd suggest not asking for them.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 06-22-2022 at 10:14 AM.

  14. #14
    Boolit Buddy veeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I am impressed by long range marksmanship. But to me shooting and hunting are different. If you want to impress me as a shooter tell me how far you were. If you want to impress me as a hunter, tell me how close you got.
    ^^^
    Yes, this!

  15. #15
    Boolit Master


    Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    N Central Florida
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post

    Also for me, hunting is primal, so sniping a deer at 600 yards where he can’t see me, smell me, or hear me is not the experience I am looking for.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed... the animal has to be 'all in'.. and the human has no skin in the game when you are hunting at extreme range.

    I like stalking.. I like 'yardage' shots... IE.. ones where the animal can come visit you if he wants. And that includes handgun hunting and express double rifles that regulate at 50-75 yards.. etc...

  16. #16
    Boolit Master


    Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    N Central Florida
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I am impressed by long range marksmanship. But to me shooting and hunting are different. If you want to impress me as a shooter tell me how far you were. If you want to impress me as a hunter, tell me how close you got.
    This ^^^^^

  17. #17
    Boolit Master


    Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    N Central Florida
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Lol what can I say I'm a little addicted to sharing stuff I find interesting especially if I find it well made and explained

    From these couple posts.. can we assume that you are 'anti close range hunting" ?

  18. #18
    Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

    waksupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Posts
    18,828
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    after viewing the video that the real gunsmith posted showing how he straightens a barrel by smacking it against a log was the last time I thought about viewing any of the videos he posts. some of the best shooters and proven experts at long range shooting seem to share lots of knowledge at the accurate shooter web site and also at longrangehunting forum. there are also some pretty darn good long range shooting experts that share knowledge right here on this site. YouTube is a mixed bag and quite often a quest for the almighty dollar that ends up driving the motivation for many posters there. a couple guys on there that seems to really know what they talk about is Paul harrel and hickock45 those are just 2 of many that ive noticed to be no nonsense.
    I have a tree outside my shop specially trained for straightening barrels. It works. I know several other old time gun builders who do the same. Pretty easy to do, if you know how to read what you are doing on the inside of the barrel.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

    Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!


  19. #19
    Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

    waksupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Posts
    18,828
    I have noticed over the years, the long range competition shooters I have shot with, know the limitations caused by wind and unpredictable animal movement, and won't take what would be considered a long shot at game. I find no good cause to shoot when you can't be sure of the result. I've killed antelope with revolvers and smooth bore flintlocks. Close is hunting, and if you want to impress me, tell me how close you got.
    I've also had the experience of someone telling me about the 600 yard shot they made on a deer. Take them to a thousand yard range, and they cut the distance they shot considerably, when they actually see how for that is.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

    Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!


  20. #20
    Boolit Buddy 414gates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    208
    Long range hunters don't impress me.

    Headshots on deer at one mile posted on Youtube fail to impress me.

    Randy Selby impresses me. Everything about Randy Selby as a hunter and a gunsmith impresses me.

    It should be pretty obvious that there really is no such thing as long range hunting.

    There is only hunting.

    1. can you reliably place a kill shot at that distance

    2. will your bullet retain enough energy to make a quick kill if placed correctly

    3. can you reliably find the animal for a follow-up shot if you wound it

    Shooting at animals far away and hoping for a hit is new generation entitled snowflake crap.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check