WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: 25 hornet

Boolit Buddy

25 hornet

Anyone ever rechamber a 25 Stevens barrel to 25 Hornet?

Boolit Master

Check older issues of handloader #100 page #39 this info was for a handgun !
    cant help with rechambering unless there is something in handloader
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 06-30-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a fun cartridge!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    I had shortened th 22Hornet to the same length as the 25 RF swithed the firing pin to CF. then reload the shortened 25 with 25ACP dies. it was necessary for me to turn the 22 H. case just above the rim as it wos about .004 to large. but shoots and woks fine.

Sounds like a .25-20 WCF?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Sounds like a .25-20 WCF?

Randy
    Holds a bit less gun powder and is cuter, looks like a tiny 32-40. It works much better with black powder than a 25-20 repeater does. I still have the hots for a 1885 low wall that shoots them to use as my groundhog rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Holds a bit less gun powder and is cuter, looks like a tiny 32-40. It works much better with black powder than a 25-20 repeater does. I still have the hots for a 1885 low wall that shoots them to use as my groundhog rifle.
    Seems like 'Improving' the cartridge would allow it to hold loads like the .25-20. Most .25 Hornets I have seen have had a long straight taper like the .32-40. The Hornet case if straightened out would accept a .27 or .28 boolit. Adding an Ackley shoulder should increase capacity a bit.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    Seems like 'Improving' the cartridge would allow it to hold loads like the .25-20. Most .25 Hornets I have seen have had a long straight taper like the .32-40. The Hornet case if straightened out would accept a .27 or .28 boolit. Adding an Ackley shoulder should increase capacity a bit.

Jim
    I have a .27 Hornet I built for my wife many years ago. It's just a 270 Ren left full length, and loads with 270 Ren dies. The rifle is one of the 22 hornet ones Sako did back in the 80's, it never did shoot well as a 22 so I tried this. Kind of a neat cartridge, it will throw a 95 grain bullet at the same speed the 22 version will throw a 55.