Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Tippman Armory rolling block

Boolit Master

Tippman Armory rolling block

Just wondering if anyone has anything good, bad, or indifferent to say about these guys. They make a repop rolling block in 45-70 and 357mag. I had occasion to handle one at a gun show a couple of months back, felt good but no one had heard about them. Price is right but they are ugly — that doesn’t concern me but how they shoot does. Lord the single shot RB/Sharps addiction is as bad as bullet molds…..check them out:

https://tippmannarmory.com/rolling-block-45-70/

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    I would love getting one in .357 but at over 9 lbs it would be too heavy.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

The hammer is ugly, needs a bob job, noticed that several years ago. Just now looked at the link posted and noticed a specification that would turn me off on them. It specified that the receiver is investment cast 1018 steel. 1018 is mild steel that can not be hardened by heat treating, only be case hardening and 8620 is a much better choice for case hardening. 8620 will harden deeper than 1018 and be much stronger.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Maybe six or seven years ago I spoke at great length with the Tippmann folks for what I considered improvements with their roller design, but nothing happened on their part. For what they're offering,a Henry H015-4570 break open is a better choice at half the Tippmann price tag. Gun weight is also a concern and I lead butt filled the Henry to 8.8#. Recoil with BP PPB 65 to 75 grain Swiss 1.5F loads is quite manageable as is 200yd accuracy. However, a break open action design will not lend itself well to a tang vernier sight, I use a Skinner and Lyman peep sight set.

With design and material changes, and at a $1k price tag, the Tippmann could be a viable roller for field or range.
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I would love getting one in .357 but at over 9 lbs it would be too heavy.
    Have you checked out the Henry S/S .357mag @ just about 7#?
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Master

I have two of the Tippman actions in stock. They went away from the Remington design by quite a bit . Using all coil springs is not a great idea, the hammer spring uses a transfer bar which increases the weight and slows down the hammer time. I do agree the hammer needs to be bobbed. Another draw back is the barrel butts up on the inside of the frame instead of the face, also the breach block is two pieces with a plate held on with two screws. The hammer and breach pins are smaller diameter than the Remington. The main safety concern is that there is no trigger block when the breach is open, you can pull the trigger when the action is open and the hammer will drop to the breach block and then when the block is closed the hammer will drop to the safety notch, not good for the trigger and if the trigger should break the gun could go off when the block is closed.
    The action is plenty strong enough for a 357 mag but I don't think I would want to go with the 357 max. If anyone wants to try building one I will let the actions go at dealer cost. After my bad review I probably will have no takers.

The Tippman is just too butt ugly for me to ever want one. I just don't know what their designers were thinking when they strayed so far away from the original Rolling Block?

I thought about it about 5 yrs ago. They cast the receiver and then machine it - you could get a receiver only back then. Decided against it. Actually they were too busy making gattling guns then. Another guy in IIRC Nola builds a great one @ 5k$ per. Ouch!
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Its quite likely they had a run of parts made,and until that inventory is sold,no changes........and judging by comments,they will never be sold.

With original Rolling Block rifles still being plentiful, and cheap, I've always gone that route. Actions, or rifles in bad shape that are used for their actions have been my go to for building a Rolling Block. It's cheaper than buying a used Pedersoli to make one up, even if you don't have the equipment to fit and chamber a barrel. I send that part out, but do the stock fitting, metal polishing, and usually do the rust bluing. I use Al Springer for color case, and occasionally have him do his rust bluing also. I use C. Sharps, or a local gunsmith for barrel fitting and chambering. It usually runs about $16-$170 the last barrel I had fitted. Last couple I've built were right around $1000 all done.

.40-50SS

.40-65 Win

I'd rather build one up and have a good shooting, original style Roller for the money.

Nice looking rifles, marlinman93.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankJD View Post
    Have you checked out the Henry S/S .357mag @ just about 7#?
    I did look at them but I do not like break open rifles. Most of my shooting is off a bench and I fine them cumbersome to use. And a 9 lb .357 is just silly for the few times I want to walk the woods with one.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Nice looking rifles, marlinman93.

DG
    Thanks. The top one is a Rem. military action, but lower tang, and stocks are from the leftover run Rem. did in the late 1990's. The bottom .40-65 is an original Remington Sporting Rifle action I traded into with a friend. He needed some 1893 Marlin parts, and I wanted the Sporting action. Both guns have 34" Green Mountain barrels.

Boolit Master

Nice looking rifle Marlinman93! I love my Marlins, Rolling Blocks, 1886’s etc they are pretty. The butt-ugliness of the Tippman and the weight also has kept me from trying one, they just don’t “feel” right. In spite of weight, my Sharps and Miroku 1886 are the prettiest as well as functional rifles I own. Even with old eyes and Soule sights etc I can still hit what I aim at…

In 357 I have some Rossi’s that are just a delightful carry and very accurate too.

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    Nice looking rifle Marlinman93! I love my Marlins, Rolling Blocks, 1886’s etc they are pretty. The butt-ugliness of the Tippman and the weight also has kept me from trying one, they just don’t “feel” right. In spite of weight, my Sharps and Miroku 1886 are the prettiest as well as functional rifles I own. Even with old eyes and Soule sights etc I can still hit what I aim at…

In 357 I have some Rossi’s that are just a delightful carry and very accurate too.

Art
    Thanks.
    I just haven't ever understood why any gun maker decides to take a perfectly fine action, and then redesigns it to make it uglier, or less functional? Since the patent rights have long run out on the Rolling Block design, there's just no reason to change it unless it was a change for the better. And the Tippman certainly isn't that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Thanks.
    I just haven't ever understood why any gun maker decides to take a perfectly fine action, and then redesigns it to make it uglier, or less functional?.
    Agreed 100% All they had to do was make a blasted exact copy and I gladly would pay the price although there are some very nice copies being made…in Italy no offense intended…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell