MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Sweet, Spicy, Tangy 30minute Marinara.

Vendor Sponsor

Sweet, Spicy, Tangy 30minute Marinara.

I had some fried Calamari with marinara from one of our local eateries here, and the marinara just about knocked my socks off! It was SOOOOO GOOD!! I went back and got some to go, brought it home and used it to make meatball subs, again, VERY tasty marinara.

I will admit that I have never been a big fan of marinara, and frankly most of what I have had in restaurants has been ho-hum, but not this stuff! So today I set about creating my own (never made marinara before) sauce that emulated the stuff in the restaurant. I wanted 3 main flavors in the flavor profile, I wanted tomatoey, tangy, and sweet, in just about that order. Red pepper optional but I like it with a little zing.. I made this today using 1/2 tsp red pepper, my GF said it was a tad too hot for her, but it was perfect for me. I edited the recipe to 1/4 tsp to cool it down.

Ingredients

1 28oz. can Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes
    3 cloves fresh garlic minced
    8-12 fresh basil leaves depending on size, chopped
    2 tsp dried spicy oregano
    ½ tsp thyme
    12-15 small capers
    1 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Directions

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and simmer over low heat 30mins.

Serve over pasta, breaded cutlet for parmigiana, serve on the side for dipping sauce, broiled fish, it lends itself to anything you want a tomatoey zing to so enjoy! I know I will be making this more often, and if you want to make a larger batch, just double or triple up on the ingredients.

The Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes came from walmart, the FIRST thing you want to do, is to taste the tomatoes, if they are not sweet from the can, they aren't likely to improve or add any significant flavor in the marinara so look for a different brand.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-21-2022 at 08:26 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I luv marinara sauce. I'll give this a try.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I had some fried Calamari with marinara from one of our local eateries here, and the marinara just about knocked my socks off! It was SOOOOO GOOD!! I went back and got some to go, brought it home and used it to make meatball subs, again, VERY tasty marinara.

I will admit that I have never been a big fan of marinara, and frankly most of what I have had in restaurants has been ho-hum, but not this stuff! So today I set about creating my own (never made marinara before) sauce that emulated the stuff in the restaurant. I wanted 3 main flavors in the flavor profile, I wanted tomatoey, tangy, and sweet, in just about that order. Red pepper optional but I like it with a little zing.. I made this today using 1/2 tsp red pepper, my GF said it was a tad too hot for her, but it was perfect for me. I edited the recipe to 1/4 tsp to cool it down.

Ingredients

1 28oz. can Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes
    3 cloves fresh garlic minced
    8-12 fresh basil leaves depending on size, chopped
    2 tsp dried spicy oregano
    ½ tsp thyme
    12-15 small capers
    1 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Directions

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and simmer over low heat 30mins.

Serve over pasta, breaded cutlet for parmigiana, serve on the side for dipping sauce, broiled fish, it lends itself to anything you want a tomatoey zing to so enjoy! I know I will be making this more often, and if you want to make a larger batch, just double or triple up on the ingredients.

The Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes came from walmart, the FIRST thing you want to do, is to taste the tomatoes, if they are not sweet from the can, they aren't likely to improve or add any significant flavor in the marinara so look for a different brand.

You kicked it up a couple notches with the spices ( I see some cajun sneaking in there) . Don't leave out the red pepper flakes ... they rock the dish .
    And the Tip about tasting the Tomatoes and adding suger is Right On ... the sugar improves the taste big time ... You'all need to keep sugar in mind when cooking with tomatoes .
    My Italian Mother in Law taught me that little cooking secrete ... She say's " It cuts the acid taste of the tomatoes " a few types are sweet (not too acidic) but most need sugar ... I always add 1 tablespoon when I'm cooking tomatoe sauces or as she calls it "Red Gravy".

Awesome sounding recipe DougGuy!

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Why do posts like this make me so hungry?
    I was once told by n Italian, that the best tomato sauces were made with pealed tomatoes. Has anyone else heard this?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Why do posts like this make me so hungry?
    I was once told by n Italian, that the best tomato sauces were made with pealed tomatoes. Has anyone else heard this?
    The Power Of Suggestion is Great ...And It Is Real !!!
    I hate wating Bar-B-Que cooking shows ... it always "flings a craving" on me and I have to get some good BBQ or bust at the seams .

I always peel my tomatoes before canning or freezing ... and when cooking with fresh tomatoes ... the skin separates and doesn't break down ... I always thought it was more a visual thing, peeling them so you didn't have the pieces of tomato skin floating around in the dish ... but it could be the peeled tomatoes are sweeter .
    I know cooking with peeled tomatoes looks better !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-29-2022 at 06:26 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

When tomatoes are canned, citric acid is added to them to make them more safe to can (they are somewhat acidic off the vine). I've found that adding 1/4-1/2 tsp baking soda to a 28 oz can of canned tomato product increases the sweetness by neutralizing the added citric acid. More sugar can be added but sometimes is not needed.

Boolit Master

Looks like a REAL good marinara! gonna try it! (forgot to say that.)