RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What revolver should I get for my son's first firearm?

Boolit Master

a double action .22 or .38 with adjustable sights if possible and something that fits his hand. Also revolvers with swing-out cylinders are much handier when it comes to ejecting spent cases and then reloading.
    stay away from semi-automatics
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master
    First gun should be a 22 in my view. My 2nd choice is a 38, if light-for-caliber boolits are used to reload, though I will say 7-8 cent 22's are cheaper than primers these days. I do like a single action revolver for teaching a newby. After the shot is fired, the hammer is down on a spent cartridge. Until it is cocked again, that gun won't discharge, no matter what mistake in handling is made. I do not like semi-autos for that reason, especially SA semi-autos. The gun automatically loads the next round, cocks the hammer, and sits in the hand, enticing an untrained individual to unintentionally fire a second round. I'm not saying you can't teach somebody to safely use a bottom feeder, but it does require close attention.

As you seem to be inclined to getting a centerfire revolver, these are some that I have and have used with my grand kids, to teach them safe fire arm handling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	327 ruger black.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	301486
    This is a Single 7, actually in .327 but similar, albeit heavier guns are readily available. I like the 22 versions with the aluminum frames for teaching basic firearm safety.

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	301487
    This is my SP101. You need to put a trigger kit in it, but a .357 allows you to load the full gamut of 38/357 loads running from 75 grain Wadcutters at 650 fps up to 180 grain, 1150+ fps magnum loads. Mine has a pink grip to make it more fun for my grand daughters.

Name:	sp101.jpeg 
Views:	220 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	301489
    This is what they look like out of the box. These are very well suited for a smaller shooter, but it's a gun he won't ever outgrow.

Below, for no reason I can comprehend, are my 2 32-20's. Not the guns I would choose as anybody's first gun, but I like them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0507.jpg  
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    My suggestion is a Ruger Wrangler. The grip is small enough for an 11 yr old to really be able to handle well. If set on a .38spl, the S&W Bodyguard is very light and has a small grip, which he should also be able to handle well. The downside is the recoil can be rough, but handloads make it very tolerable.

.22lr is more obtainable and cheaper than (non existent) primers. The Walmart in Canon City and Salida, CO almost always have the Federal 325rd boxes for a little under $22, which comes to $.0676/ea.

Another thought I had is a Ruger Speed Six with a Pachmayr Compac grip, I’m a big fan of their Compac grips for concealed revolver carry.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy

If his hands aren't too small I'd get him a cap and ball revolver. I got one at 13. Had lots of fun trying different bullets and powder charges.

Percussion caps could be a problem. But with Remington models I’ve seen small pistol primers in plastic tubing used as a substitute.

I'm unsure if you've had a comprehensive chat regarding firearms and how to use them safely, but you should do that as well. One of my first firearms that I had fired was a Smith & Wesson .22 revolver owned by a family friend. I think I was only 10 or 12 years old then, but I fondly remember the experience.

One of those Ruger .22 SAA clones would be a fun experience as well, and the more tactile handling needed to operate it would make it more fun too. I'd say let your kid safely handle and operate your firearms collection using snap caps first, and let him work at his own pace that he feels comfortable at moving at.

Here's to building a wholesome relationship with firearms for the next generation!

Quote Originally Posted by Freischütz View Post
    If his hands aren't too small I'd get him a cap and ball revolver. I got one at 13. Had lots of fun trying different bullets and powder charges.

Percussion caps could be a problem. But with Remington models I’ve seen small pistol primers in plastic tubing used as a substitute.
    Yep. 1849 Colt with a six inch barrel is a very good one to start off.

Boolit Master
    What 9mm's and 38's do you have? Why not start him out on those and see what he likes?

Boolit Master
    ruger single six convertible is a great gun or any s&w double action 38/357

Boolit Mold
    I would say everyone is different, I just got my 9 year old daughter into shooting this year. I started her with my 10/22 which is a super light voluartsen setup and my much heavier Ruger precision rimfire. I naturally thought she would like the 10/22 better being that it was lighter and she could just keep pulling the trigger until empty but she much prefers running the bolt gun. Now we have our own little plinking competitions out to over 200yds and she wants me to enter her in our local NRL tournaments. She's been behind my 223, 300BO, 308 and 450BM without issue.

She's fired all of my pistols and revolvers (except the m500) and can handle much more than what most people would think. Her favorite revolver is the bisley single seven but she's shot all the way up to my 480 bisley (lighter load of course). Her least favorite to shoot is the double stack pistols just because they are a bit to fat in the grip for her to have a comfortable purchase but she's handled 5.7,9mm, 40, 10mm, and 45s without an issue.

She's tried them all and always gravitates back to the RPR 22lr so that's her gun now. The key for her was clear guidance, what to expect and to not force them into something they aren't ready for. My little girl asked to shoot everything she has shot. Before buying your son something I would get him out shooting to where he can try different things to see what he likes and go from there.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    .32 SWL or .38 Special in either a Ruger Single Action or a Colt or S&W Double Action in the short barrel sizes . My first was an 1858 Remington .36 and then moved up to a Ruger Blackhawk .357. I was small as a child and did not shoot long barreled guns well until I was in my mid teens unless the gun was very light. I still much prefer 4" to 5" on target or hunting handguns . If I were a kid buying my first revolver it would be one of the new .32 magnums that will shoot the different .32's , probably a Ruger.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Yep. 1849 Colt with a six inch barrel is a very good one to start off.
    I agree with the exception that factory made caps are harder to find than primers . A '62 Police would be my pick in a BP revolver for a kid unless he is a big kid.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    When I was young, I as going through a brick each week.
    That's cause your old like me and bricks were $4-$5 . I cut three yards for the lady across the street for $14.00 when I was in my early teens, that bought two bricks , a carton of Camels and I still had over a dollar to spare. A brick now cost more than my first .22 cost new and a lot of the .22 rimfire is so hit or miss it ain't worth toting home.

Boolit Master

Every boy needs a boys rifle, so you really need to get him a WWII British .55 caliber Boys anti-tank rifle.

Just kidding of course. Such a wide variety of suggestions have already be made that I really can’t add anything new. I will just relate how it’s worked for my two boys.

My older son is 16, and little brother is 11. They’re all different, and what interests one may not interest the other. What’s really important is spending time with Dad, and developing that relationship. My older son is my range buddy. He’s ready to go anytime I am. My younger son is not as interested. He’d rather stay home and play video games. When I pry him out of the house and bring him along, he does have fun, but I can tell that it’s not really his thing.

I started them out with .22 rifles. They’ve never really shot BB guns like I did at that age, because we live in town. The only place we could shoot air rifles would be the range, and if we’re going to the range, I don’t see much point in shooting BB guns.

We started with a bolt action .22lr. He quickly outgrew that because he’d rather shoot my 10/22. I insisted he learn a decent level of marksmanship with the bolt action, then bought him his own 10/22 (it lives in my safe of course, until he’s 18). He never seems to tire of burning through.22 ammo. Of the various larger rifles we shoot, he has a strong preference for the old M1 carbine.

For handguns, we started on my old Ruger Standard .22lr, until I got a Ruger Wrangler. I really like the Wrangler; it’s hard to beat as a first handgun, I think. We then advanced to light .38 Special loads in my S&W 66. He’d burn through a couple hundred rounds at a time in that. Now that he’s a little older, we got a Taurus TX22 pistol. That quickly became his favorite, even over the .38 revolvers.

His younger brother primarily likes the .22s, but like I said he’s just not as interested no matter what I try.

The precision accuracy doesn’t seem to excite either of them. They’d much rather hit clay targets or watch cans fly. They get bored quick when I’m shooting for accuracy.

That’s just our experience. Everyone is different.

Boolit Master
    I start all young out with a bb gun, then move to a single shot .22 as they learn safety and progress, I start them off a bench and rest, then prone, then standing, a pistol is not a good choice to begin with. to easy to swing around, lots of time when they get bigger and smarter to switch to a pistol. I have yet to have a junior lose interest in shooting, I have had a lot of juniors lose interest in competition.

Boolit Master
    [ . They’ve never really shot BB guns like I did at that age, because we live in town. The only place we could shoot air rifles would be the range, and if we’re going to the range, I don’t see much point in shooting BB guns. ] YOU CAN SAT UP A BB GUN, A PELLET RIFLE IN A HALL OR A BASMENT OR GERAGE, AIR GUN RANGE IS 33 FT. FOR COMPITISION, APPLE BOX FILLED WITH RAGS WIII STOP AND CONTAIN A BB OR PELLET. I HAVE DONE THIS WITH MANEY JUNIORS. IF YOU WOULD LIKE PLANDS FOR A 10 MEETER PELLET BACK STOP LET ME KNOW ?

Boolit Master

Nobody has basements in this part of the country, unfortunately, and my garage is cluttered and small, barely long enough to park a car in. “Discharging weapons” of any kind in city limits is illegal, and that includes air rifles and arrows. I have set up targets and let them shoot little youth bows in the back yard though.

Start with a 22. As proficiency develops (and if interest remains) upgrade to a 38 Special.

If you reload a lot of 38 Special, you might consider starting with reduced power loads with light bullets.

One benefit of using a 38 for training is that holes in the target are easier to see thus providing quick feedback, an important factor in learning to shoot well.

I agree with previous good advice on selecting an accurate revolver with adjustable sights.

Boolit Master
    Teach him the basics, with a bb gun, a .177 pelet gun, a single shot .22. Then move into what ever. All above very cost efictive. A good .177 pelet gun can put 10 rounds, almost in the same hole, at 10 meters, some do it in standing, no problem in prone.

Boolit Bub
    Got to go with a good 22lr, I would recommend a model 17 with a 6 “ barrel,,low recoil,, and you will never outgrow a k frame,, My son started with my 17 and then moved up to the center fires,, But he still uses the 17 ,25 years later.

Boolit Bub
    My first revolver was an Old Model Blackhawk .357. My dad got it for me when I was 12 once I healed a bit after being injured by a stock animal that was having a bad day.
    I shot a ton of 38s through it since they were cheaper to reload after my Uncle showed me how to safely do it myself. But when handling the animals, it was always loaded with Keith loads.
    I'd suggest a new model flattop in 4 5/8" or 5 1/2". Load it with standard velocity wadcutter.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast