Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What revolver should I get for my son's first firearm?

you asked about a 38 and everyone is suggesting something else from 22 to shotgun how bout this a Smith wheel gun model 10 or 15
    mic drop

Hard to add to so many good suggestions and knowledge. I've got two granddaughters and gave them each a Ruger Bearcat several years ago. True, .22 ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be, but it's still much cheaper than .38s. But, also true, if you're a reloader, especially a caster reloader, it might come out close expense-wise. Also true, that if he likes shooting, starting with a .22 and it's benefits of low cost ammo and low recoil and noise, he will eventually graduate to a .38 (or something else bigger) and that involves buying a second pistol. How awful! Really, it's kind of nice to have more than one tool available for any job. Heritage seems to make an inexpensive single action .22-- might be a good choice for starters. If it's got to be a .38 then go with something with adjustable sights. I'd sure choose a double action over a single action, if a .38 it must be. Thinking back many, many years, my first firearm was a single shot .22. It taught me the need to get a good sight picture, squeeze the trigger, and hit with the first shot. My first pistol was a .45 ACP (not recommending this!) and I had to learn to shoot it well because it was my only handgun. I had a great instructor, my dad, but wish I could have started with a .22.

DG

Boolit Master
    at 11 I was lucky to get to shoot an old winchester 22 never mind owning my very own 38 revolver
    there is a whole lot of growing up that goes on in a young boy between 11 and 18
    I got my child a Walther 380 for 16th birthday only after completing the handgun safety and shooting courses at the sheriff's public shooting range.
    Last edited by farmbif; 06-21-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    ive had my eyes on the RIA M 200 in 38 special for a while, with the 4 inch barrel. It's not a model 10, but for the price....that's where id start.......

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    If you cast and reload - and 22 ammo is scarce - what about a single shot 357 rifle? A Henry or a Hand if you could find one. It gives you the option to reload 28 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long, 38 Spl. & 356.

I'm all for starting a youngster out to learn to shoot and gun safety, but IMHO, and as someone else stated, a handgun is a lot easier for inexperienced youngster to "make mistakes" in handling over a long gun when it comes to sweeping body parts or others. Once they learn safety and shooting and prove themselves to be able to follow gun safety, then and only then move on to handgun IMHO.

I also like the idea of starting a kid out with a muzzleloader - flint or percussion. I'm partial to that I guess as that's the way I learned some 60 some years ago. With cap shortages, a flintlock is ideal. If caps not a problem, something like a small bore shorter under hammer like the old H & A buggy rifles is ideal - simple but a great teaching tool.

Good luck and you'll not only be teaching, but making some good father - son memories that you'll both treasure.

I got my son a S&W M 60 with 5" bbl. First loads were Lyman 77 gr WC. We also shot LEE 105 SWC. He was used to shooting a S&W M317 with 3" bbl. 317 is a lite wt 8 shot 22 LR Similar to a M637 but with adjustable sights.

Moderator Emeritus

For me a first firearm would be a 357 lever rifle. Inexpensive to shoot, same ammo as a revolver when he moves to handguns and last a lifetime.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    For me a first firearm would be a 357 lever rifle. Inexpensive to shoot, same ammo as a revolver when he moves to handguns and last a lifetime.
    After learning the struggles of smooth feeding of a 357 lever rifle I'd have to disagree with that. They need to be cycled with authority and often times hang up. Most children can't do this.

A friend of mine who is very petite loves my early model 357 Blackhawk. It’s a great shooter and 38 Special can be loaded to very manageable recoil. I love that round.

Your idea of a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 is a good one. The 4-5/8" barrel would be better I think for a kid. Adjustable sights, foolproof action with a decent trigger will make hits happen early on. Loads can start with .38 gallery loads, then move up gradually to .357 as skill and desire increases.
    Teach a new shooter how to run a single action first and the other style handguns will be learned easily.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The child is eleven years old, likely won’t have the upper body strength to free hold any full size 38/357.
    Not a problem, the kid can bench rest it till he grows into into it being accustom to the revolvers weight.
    I would recommend the purchase of a heirloom quality high end 357Magnum, 6 shot, 6 inch barrel.
    Naturally low power 38 special handloads to start.
    I would recommend a round butt S&W 686 Performance Center that fit the above mentioned specifications.
    The new Colt Pythons are very nice too.

Get 3 powder classes:
    A fast burning powder for slow to mid range velocity.
    A medium burn rate powder that picks up were the fast powder quits making MV at the Pmax.
    This will be the forever most used powder for the kids whole life from teen to old man.
    A slow burn rate powder for when your want the revolver to make the highest MV it’s capable of.
    This will be the least used powder, but nice to have on hand.

Get a quality bullet mold that casts a RNFP for fiddle free easily loading (I dislike SWC bullets, they look wicked but are ridiculous to load).

Teach the kid how to cast quality bullets.

Get 4 to 6 hundred quality cartridge cases. These will last for decades if occasionally annealed.

Primer’s, get a few bricks appropriate to the powder type being loaded.

Optional a kydex holster and belt. designed to fit the chosen revolver.

Teach safe handling for the handgun the kid is presented with.

Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    The child is eleven years old, likely won’t have the upper body strength to free hold any full size 38/357.
    Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D64I73ZbbG4&t=212s

Boolit Buddy
    First firearm for an 11 year old? Single shot anything is hard to bead.

First handgun for an 11 year old? Crossman bb/pellet gun replica to train them. They have single and double action ones. Put holes on paper and you can stress discipline without stressing you out

Stuck for a real handgun in 38cal?
    All the cowboy type single action replicas in 38 special or 357 are pretty and economical.

The ruger conversion in 9mm /357mag will last him all his life and can eat common cheap plinkers and heavy loads when he gets into that.

A black hawk is nice too.

Id avoid DA revolvers for a young one tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CZbob9 View Post
    I'm not new to firearms, just new to this site. I do reload but I never knew about this site. That is amazing. I want to get my 11 year old son his first firearm. I reload a lot of 9mm and 38 special so I was thinking of a nice single action with a long barrel in either caliber. What do you recommend?
    If it's a handgun in 38 or 9mm it should have adjustable sights and I would NOT recommend a 9mm only simply because 9mm limits ammo options. With the 38/357 or 357/9mm convertible you can go with very light loads to fullhouse. Most 9mm loads are designed to function in semi-auto's. Recoil is a lesser issue than the concussion.

If it was me picking it would be quality 22 target rifle or air rifle with target aperture sights. That platform will provide the best marksmanship training.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-21-2022 at 11:02 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    ...My first pistol was a .45 ACP (not recommending this!) and I had to learn to shoot it well because it was my only handgun. I had a great instructor, my dad, but wish I could have started with a .22.

DG
    I started the worst possible way; 455 Webley Mk VI, made 1917. Next I purchased S&W M27, 5" and S&W M41. Just happened, I was there when opportunity came suddenly. Tried S&W M617, too much steel for a caliber. Yeah, 22LR is a good start, but I was beginner, seeking for a thrill, and that 22 light pop never impressed me. Sold all of them soon. Other members in the club invited me to try half scale silhouettes, and I was hooked. Started looking for another handgun, and stumbled upon TC Contender with 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt barrels. Well, Contender (in 357 Magnum) was an eye opener; accurate like laser, relatively cheap to shoot with reloads, will topple metal silhouettes with authority, yet with very moderate recoil, even with full power loads. And you can always purchase 22LR barrel for Contender.

Boolit Buddy
    I am not knowledgeable about different handgun models. Three weeks ago I brought my 14 year old daughter to the shooting range. She already has experiences shooting indoor competition air rifle. That day I handed her my S&W Model 66 and a box of 38-148WC bullets. She knows the gun safety rules but I added how to leave the revolver cylinder open and faced down on the bench and holding it through the frame when carrying it to one booth to another (in addition to pointing the muzzle in a safe direction). The whole shooting process was much simpler and easier than using an automatic to me. Shooting was much simpler too but inserting each round one-by-one into the cylinder than forcing rounds into the magazine. If you have a lot of land but cannot shoot firearms on our property, you can also make glue stick bullets and shoot them with primers. I remember when I was eleven and my oldest brother let me shoot the bbgun. He said, "rule one is never point that gun at anyone". Then he said, "rule two is always listen to what I say". I said, "okay". Then he said, "point the gun at me". I did and he slapped me across the head and said, "don't forget rule one".

Boolit Buddy
    A model 19 with a spare cylinder converted to .38 super with moonclips (which will also get you 9mm) I’d say a k22 but .38 or 9mm is a lot cheaper than .22 if your a caster.

Boolit Master
    I would start him off on a single shot bolt action 22 rifle. When he can hit a can pretty often off hand at 50 yards then maybe a 38 special 4''-6'' IF he likes to hang around when you reload and brings home a good report card.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    A model 19 with a spare cylinder converted to .38 super with moonclips (which will also get you 9mm) I’d say a k22 but .38 or 9mm is a lot cheaper than .22 if your a caster.
    A model 19 and 38 super are different bore sizes.

Boolit Master

I started my son with a 357 and light 38 loads. He still has that pistol and still mostly shoots 38's with it but he has the 357 option.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast