Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other Forums Dying Out? Less Active?

While it is not so much available currently the cheap eastern European ammo was low cost enough at times to give reloading a run for its money. If one is just looking at the cost in money and time there have been times when some Wolf ammo would have been a good alternative to the investment in reloading.

If the caliber hadn't already been one I was casting and reloading for I would have bought disposable ammo myself. As it was there was some Red Star that was brass and boxer primed for a comparable price that I would buy over the disposable. Kids or grandkids without the prior investment to reload wouldn't have found that Red Star brass worth the extra cost over the disposable.

So many demands on our time and even more on the younger generations time. If they can afford the store bought and the price is good... return on investment for buying equipment and components just isn't that rapid. Especially when prices are as high as they are currently. I do keep an old C press around mounted to plywood to clamp on a table so anyone who shows an interest I can set up to load their own for the cost of some used dies.

Have to love those Pacific and Herter's .38 special used dies at the gun shows. Those dies and an old C press, plus a Lee primer seating die sets someone up for a $30 roll their own reloading setup. For people who can enjoy the methodical process of reloading making those first boxes is usually enough to set the hook.

At this time I do not really have family that I would think of leaving my reloading and casting equipment to. A grandson who may one of these days make good on his stated intention of learning how, and a daughter who might reload for a couple of revolvers. Lives in town and doesn't get to shoot much so little incentive to use living space for reloading.

Am I the only one that wonders how I would continue my hobby if wife and myself moved out of our house to some sort of senior apartment situation? I know folks that fear my garage because there are lead bars stacked there. Never mind if I was actually casting lead and reloading.

BTW - heard a fire chief on the news state that a fellow with 10k rounds of ammo could have caused death and mayhem to whole neighborhood in a fire. I guess the saami film of what happens to ammo in a fire never came up in his training. No barrel to build pressure = no velocity to bullet. Bounce off of drywall at 3 ft. without a barrel.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I expect part of this is because some of the conversation has moved to other platforms. The younger set, if they wanted to establish or participate in a community like this one, wouldn't necessarily think of hosting a forum on a server like this, they would think of Reddit, or something like Discord (despite the fact that Discord is objectively terrible in almost every way). They'll find out the hard way what they're giving up when they give away the right and ability to admin their own place and set their own policy... I think these things will go in cycles.
    I've often thought about it, it's just as Daekar states. I too began to notice over the last few years that many forums I'd frequented in the past regardless of subject area were less active over time. I believe its because many members have "aged out" or "passed on" while there's been no influx of new younger users / or members. Several years ago I read a book titled "Present Shock", the author called it "presentism", "living in an "live in an always-on “now,”". It's a fascinating and thought provoking read but, it would seem that's just how things have played out.

Discussion forums have been loosing out to Social Media, Reddit, and Discord over the last few years. Those mediums are just more popular with the younger generations simply because it's what they've grown up with. They've got no problem sharing every bit of data about them with corporations that use it to profit, live in the here and now with snap chats that disappear as soon as they are viewed, exchange thoughts and ideas via 120 character "tweets" and 15 second tic-tocs. They don't have phone conversations they communicate via "Short Message Service" texts. They're reality is that there is so much going on and so many distractions "right now", there's no time for substance, detail, past and future.

I've tried Reddit and Discord and walked away from all of both, never signed up for any social media, I didn't see the point. While they might be better at giving more people more ability to have their say all at the same time in real time right now, they are terrible as organized archives of those conversations and the information exchanged in them. Within each is a cacophony of conversations often with many going on in the same thread at the same time and once something's scrolled off the screen good luck finding it again. Discord is the absolute worst, they should just rename it "Tower of Babel".

When the older demographics began to use the internet, bulletin boards were it, the only sort of mass communication at the time. Bulletin boards evolved into discussion forums which were so good at doing their job they ruled the internet for a good while. Sure there were "chat rooms" but they specifically existed solely for real time chats and nothing more was expected. What made bulletin boards so successful? They managed conversations by containing them in specific subject threads that proceeded chronologically as each response a was posted. However as equally important as enabling and managing the discussion was the expectation that the discussion could be recalled at a later date. Designed around both management of conversations and the recalling of it, discussion forums stored it all in databases and came equipped with search functions pretty much from day one.

All that being said, This place is a bit different though. There's a vast wealth of knowledge that's been exchanged and built up by members that have come and gone here for almost two decades. Many of the members whose posts I've enjoyed and learned so much from when I first started here have "moved on", eventually I will too. When I do, I suspect that The Cast Boolits Forum will still not only be around but also an active and thriving place. Unlike computer technology, video games, or cat videos the bulk of what is discussed here isn't depreciated by some new thing in six months or a year so it's still pertinent and useful no mater the age. Combine that with the site's design it becomes a data warehouse. All of that knowledge and information is accessible and retrievable. I just checked my thread subscriptions, I'm subscribed to threads that go back to 2005. What comprises The Cast Boolits Forum is useful, practical, and valuable and that's why I donate every year and will continue too until I "move on".

Direct up load of video to tis site takes storage space that costs $. Hosting sites have a greater 'audience' therefore cost effect isn't so great. It's about $. I'll go through and delete some of my less 'important' posts to save space.
    Shooting activities get slow in hot summertime.
    Whatever!

Worth noting that Gen X and Gen Z who are now in "prime adult years" are many fewer than the Boomer generation that is aging out of the work place and dying off now.

One of the prime movers for low unemployment is those two generations behind the boomers consist of fewer adults than the boomers did. As opposed to the last couple or three decades when both boomers and Gen X were adults in prime earning years.

Look at how popular cruise vacations have become, or how much Medicare supplemental insurance gets advertised. Or those senior living centers, reverse mortgages, burial expense life insurance, etc. Boomers are a big market. This hobby has a lot of participants who are in that demographic group. Getting smaller over time, and is being supplanted in the market for goods and services.

This will no doubt have an impact on what activities and businesses thrive and which struggle. Considering how many of the Gen X and Gen Z end up renting both due to costs and because some desire greater mobility. Rental makes hobbies that require equipment and have some safety concerns for the general public potentially a bit more of a problem for them to engage in.

I can't imagine I would easily get away with a stash of lead and reloading bench in a 2 bedroom apartment with a couple of kids as easily as I do in a 3 bedroom house with the kids all grown and moved out. Either wife or neighbors might find cause to complain in the apartment.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    I don’t know boys….I wonder sometimes if we are a dying breed. Local gun shows within 100 miles of me have had a constant in the last year —- no offense intended, I’m old too (64) and the constant has been….old people. I see very, very few young people at the shows anymore, mostly old guys like me. The outdoors club I belong to, almost all seniors.

The one thing I’ve been hammering on my peers is to be nice and take the time and effort to RESPECTFULLY answer youngsters questions when/if they do seem interested. I’ve seen way too many seniors with an “attitude” when young people ask questions or are interested. If we do not continue to promote and embrace young people when they do come around (“READ THE STICKIES,ETC”) the local gun club, the forums, everything will just simply die.

Just my .02c worth.

Art
    Being 24 and on alot of forums I see and get alot of what your talking about. Most people my age just will just leave after a few times or stop posting.
    Honestly on a few forums I see the same bad attituded senior type you speak of talk about how they whish there where more young people getting in then turn around and bash people my age. That and alot of us enjoy talking honestly and when where retold to just go read a book it's like " well ok what's the point of the forum then ?"
    And when we bring this up out come the comments about snow flakes and disrespect being know it alls ect... Gets old after a while and it's kinda bad how predictable it can be
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Being 24 and on alot of forums I see and get alot of what your talking about. Most people my age just will just leave after a few times or stop posting.
    Honestly on a few forums I see the same bad attituded senior type you speak of talk about how they whish there where more young people getting in then turn around and bash people my age. That and alot of us enjoy talking honestly and when where retold to just go read a book it's like " well ok what's the point of the forum then ?"
    And when we bring this up out come the comments about snow flakes and disrespect being know it alls ect... Gets old after a while and it's kinda bad how predictable it can be
    You make a valid point.

I used to get ticked off when a new poster, and sometimes not so new, put up a thread like....

“Help me, my 9mm is leading”

It was an honest question, but it got old seeing it every 4-5 months. I learned to just ignore it and decided not to help. Others with a bigger heart, more patience and/or more time could deal with it. I would never be that dismissive to someone at the club I used to shoot at.

And I understand the perspective of a guy who just wants an answer. Imagine someone asking about Hi-Tek and he gets a link to a thread about 300 pages long....just like telling him to go shove it.
    Don Verna

Don't be discouraged, Wolfie......we like you and consider you an asset to the forum. Your posts always generate more responses than the average, and your subjects about trapping, etc. interest many members. Some truth about what many posters in this thread have said, about the members predominately being fossils (I'm one), and fossils tend to be less flexible and cranky. Without guys like you we will surely go the way of the dinosaurs. By the way...I think you ought to kill that serpent.

DG

Boolit Master
    wish I had some local friends like wolf dog , young, energetic, enthusiastic wanting to learn and share and not shy about working hard or playing equally hard. but as we all learn through the years time flys by and before you know it you will be an old phart too and everything in this world changes with time. so as the old beer ad used to say go for all the gusto you can.
    I recently saw a speech by warren buffet and how he reminisced about the most valuable companies in the world something like 40 years ago and how none of them are in the top 20 anymore and back then he never could have imagined the changes that have taken place.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess some of it depends on what your definition of "on-line forum" is. This is one of my favorites of the two I frequent most. I have about four more that all have web sites and forums on them. Those are all web sites where posts are monitored, stored within categories. There is an entirely different set of groups on sub forums to Face Book. To me they are totally different, no buying or selling and each forum is itself a category. Then there is MeWe, another forum with more selling and other specialty areas. When you spread it around and look at all the options, I am not certain things are slowed down, they are just migrated.

When you encounter a different opinion, it has nothing to do with a lack of respect.

Respect has nothing to do with falling all over yourself to agree with bearded rambo types in camo.

When you encounter an opposing point of view, it has nothing to do with aggression.

You need to get used to the fact that the world really doesn't care how you feel.

Addendum :

Forums like this are unique pools of knowledge that represent hundreds of years of cumulative experience.

Every experienced member here is more than happy to share with you what they know, how they do things, and help you debug any shooting related problem you may have.

Just ask, and you shall receive.

At the same time, be prepared to encounter opinions that you may not understand or agree with.

Hopefully you have many more years to gather shooting experience ahead of you, and during that time, you can only benefit by learning from those who were where you are now, before you were born.
    Last edited by 414gates; 06-23-2022 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling, addendum, grammar

I visit about a dozen forums more or less every day. Some are busy while others are crickets. When I was working on my Enfield or ‘03s I was on the milsurps forum, when I built my scout krag i was on the scout forum. I use forums as an easy way to research whatever build I’m doing. And I learn stuff from the members with more expertise than me. The SASS Wild Bunch forum is the deadest which reflects the reality imo that WB is fading away.

Moderator Emeritus

I think it's mostly a cyclical thing, But there is more than one cycle...I mean the 4 year presidential politics cycle definitely effect the firearm hobby world, but I am seeing another cycle, one with a grandeur change on the horizon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    When you encounter a different opinion, it has nothing to do with a lack of respect.

Respect has nothing to do with falling all over yourself to agree with bearded rambo types in camo.

When you encounter an opposing point of view, it has nothing to do with aggression.

You need to get used to the fact that the world really doesn't care how you feel.

Addendum :

Forums like this are unique pools of knowledge that represent hundreds of years of cumulative experience.

Every experienced member here is more than happy to share with you what they know, how they do things, and help you debug any shooting related problem you may have.

Just ask, and you shall receive.

At the same time, be prepared to encounter opinions that you may not understand or agree with.

Hopefully you have many more years to gather shooting experience ahead of you, and during that time, you can only benefit by learning from those who were where you are now, before you were born.
    I'm sorry but I dont think you understand what I'm saying. Like I've said on other posts. If I wanted eveyone to just agree with me or give me pats on the back I'd go somewhere else theres ALOT of these forums.

I talk to alot of there people my age about forums and just about everyone of us have the same experiences. I mean most of the time it's like
    " Let me guess you asked about XYZ and they said 123 right ?"
    " Yep"
    It's not actual opinion that's the problem. Everyone can have opinions . It's people with "opinions" . And I see it so much that people will talk about how important it is to respect opinions but when a younger or less experienced person questions or voices their opinions to someone older or more experienced counted as disrespectful or a slap in the face of there years of experience. I see it constantly. And honestly it seems to just boil down to " toe the party line do what your told and everything will be just peachy".
    And it's not just my generation I've had much older then me much more experienced inbox me and other beginners offering there help but telling us to stay away from these forums due to, as one guy put it , "duck hunters". Honestly most peoel my age will just say screw it after a while and go on YouTube or similar because we just plain don't want to deal with that.
    Ever since I started posting my casting and reloading stuff in Facebook discord and other place I have alot of people may age inbox me asking for help and when I ask " hay why not go on so and so forum " 80% of the time and I'm not exaggerating they'll say something along the line if they don't want to deal with the people.
    Last edited by Wolfdog91; 06-23-2022 at 09:06 AM.
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    A moderator that answers almost evey question posted & edits your post, does not get a return visit from me.

A copyright hound, that only allows your personal photos to be posted. No grabbing a photo off the internet.

And the moderator that is never wrong, ever.

This site is a good one.
    Sounds like Rugerforum.net Forum Nazi went into my PM's and edited, removed content he didn't like then banned me cause I called him a Gestapo in a public post (and included a screenshot of my inbox where a whole stack of messages were removed by moderator) but funny part was he didn't see it and nobody notified him of it for like 6 months then he was mad as hell when he did find it..

Not to be confused with Rugerforum.com they are low key, less posts, but good ppl!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry but I dont think you understand what I'm saying.
    I do and you were who I had in mind when I made my comments. There is no need to slam or criticize another just because they brought up a point of view you disagree with. I've seen where Woldog brought something forward and I couldn't believe the attitude he got. Civility goes a long way as does respect. If you don't like a subject or post, just keep reading. Not every post requires a comment. We need the new blood and ideas to keep going and passing down what we learned the hard way. Recommendations to come here won't come from someone who felt put down.

.... And I see it so much that people will talk about how important it is to respect opinions but when a younger or less experienced person questions or voices their opinions to someone older or more experienced counted as disrespectful or a slap in the face of there years of experience...
    How do you know how old someone is in an online forum ? Why would you advertise your age unless you were looking for a date ?

If anyone assumes I'm not going to challenge their opinion because they're older than me, or been on the forum longer than me, it's early onset dementia on their part. Them being older, or part of the forum for a longer time than me doesn't mean I need their opinion. Providing me useful information - that's a different story.

There are always better ways to do things, and age alone doesn't count towards better.

It's the younger people who are always trying new things, coming up with new and better ways, tools and techniques. Those who have been doing things the same way for a long time may not open to new suggestions, but so what. Nobody cares what they do or don't do.

Does anyone really care if someone refuses to powder coat because they prefer using a lube sizer ? I really don't.

Part of being a forum participant is filtering the white noise and extracting pertinent information. Being part of a forum like this is to benefit from other people's experience, and share your own experience with others if it's useful to them, and not to get hung up on who thinks what is disrespectful. Whoever wants respect needs to get up and go earn it.

Armchair ninjas will type into their keyboards, they mostly have nothing better to do. What they type makes no difference in anyone else's life.

Focus on the useful information, ignore the background noise, respect is earned, not provided on demand.

Boolit Master
    I just re-read 57 posts, realized you could substitute "church" for "forum" to have the same discussion.

Other Forums Dying Out? Less Active?
    or
    Other Churches Dying Out? Less Active?

Remarkably same discussion, for the same reasons.
    A key difference is I cannot be anonymous at church.

I talk to alot of there people my age about forums and just about everyone of us have the same experiences. I mean most of the time it's like
    " Let me guess you asked about XYZ and they said 123 right ?"
    " Yep"
    As time goes on, and the internet has expanded- I've seen people expect the 'net to spoon feed them.
    Some get rather testy if you recommend them to do a little research, or maybe buy a book, rather than do it for them.

Attitude is everything. There's a old sticky here somewhere about how some people will do well here,
    and others--- not so much.

For them, heck I'm also guilty of having a little fun adding to their frustration as politely as I can.
    Once in awhile, some new member will go on a rant about the word 'boolits'.

Awhile back, just to throw another log on the fire of the responses he got, I recommended he get ahold of No.1.
    He always seemed willing to listen, and more than fair.
    In order to make him happy:
    No.1 might add the word boolits to the profane list, ban it, and even change the name of the site.
    I never saw him post again.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-23-2022 at 02:03 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

As a young fella (26) that has only reloaded for a couple years, I can say for certain that there's a large divide in utility between a forum, and more instant forms of communicating like Discord. I only use Discord for general communication and engaging with communities I like, as well as private conversations with friends I've met in person. In a general sense, A forum is more oriented towards a knowledge base, and newer services are more fit for being a part of a much larger crowd. Sometimes, at least on places like Discord, it's OK if your content is swept away by the tide of other people's information. Although, I would like to say that Discord's search feature on server channels is a lot more robust and easier to use than Castboolits.

Still, I think that this forum is going to be providing many more years of good community building and knowledge sharing. Here's to more of that!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Don't be discouraged, Wolfie......we like you and consider you an asset to the forum. Your posts always generate more responses than the average, and your subjects about trapping, etc. interest many members. Some truth about what many posters in this thread have said, about the members predominately being fossils (I'm one), and fossils tend to be less flexible and cranky. Without guys like you we will surely go the way of the dinosaurs. By the way...I think you ought to kill that serpent.

DG
    I could not say it better Mr. Moderator
    Wolfdog Please stick around, Your enthusiasm and honest heart are greatly appreciated.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast