Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other Forums Dying Out? Less Active?

Boolit Buddy
    Activity is shifting to places like facebook/instagram/reddit. Forums are a dying format.

Boolit Master
    it might just be seasonal, its summer, people are out and about doing other things, lawns, gardens, family vacations, fishing, ect. in winter there is probably more activity inside and online. when your snowed in or froze in.

Boolit Master

I don’t know boys….I wonder sometimes if we are a dying breed. Local gun shows within 100 miles of me have had a constant in the last year —- no offense intended, I’m old too (64) and the constant has been….old people. I see very, very few young people at the shows anymore, mostly old guys like me. The outdoors club I belong to, almost all seniors.

The one thing I’ve been hammering on my peers is to be nice and take the time and effort to RESPECTFULLY answer youngsters questions when/if they do seem interested. I’ve seen way too many seniors with an “attitude” when young people ask questions or are interested. If we do not continue to promote and embrace young people when they do come around (“READ THE STICKIES,ETC”) the local gun club, the forums, everything will just simply die.

Just my .02c worth.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Do very much appreciate the positive attitudes here, even in political bs rants in the pit, things never degenerate to name calling as they so often do in other places. IMO this has a little to with the membership and a lot to do with consistent and thoughtful moderation over a long period.

About the software, I wish it were easier to post images directly to the site.
    Biggest improvement for me would be a better internal search engine. It changed a while back and I don't believe it works as well as when I started 5 years ago.

A lot of my searches are done from outside the forum but specifying cast boolits in the search string.

Cast Boolits Owner

I am glad y’all are still here because without y’all this place is nothing more than a bunch of 1’s & 0’s floating around in cyber space.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I on some other casting and trapping forums and I always come on here because of how you all are on here . only one trapping forum I still on because how it is on there , the other trapping forum I was on was give me problem and bias . I drop them. Back to what was the OP is yes I see some other gun forum that dose not have much activity. It is not because of the summer but some of the posting on some is just from last year. Thanks No 1 for keeping this place going. I learn alot and get help when I need it and help those I can . We are all in this together to learn and all. Keep up the good work No 1 .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Demographics. Shooters are old white guys many who live in rural areas. The world is getting more urban every day. Then there is often the us against "them" mentality that permeates many forums. On some forums if you post "had some great tacos for lunch today" you will get hit with "so you are against securing the borders ". They politicize everything.

We need new people doing this stuff even if they don't look like us or have all the same beliefs.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman1602 View Post
    I don’t know boys….I wonder sometimes if we are a dying breed. Local gun shows within 100 miles of me have had a constant in the last year —- no offense intended, I’m old too (64) and the constant has been….old people. I see very, very few young people at the shows anymore, mostly old guys like me. The outdoors club I belong to, almost all seniors.

The one thing I’ve been hammering on my peers is to be nice and take the time and effort to RESPECTFULLY answer youngsters questions when/if they do seem interested. I’ve seen way too many seniors with an “attitude” when young people ask questions or are interested. If we do not continue to promote and embrace young people when they do come around (“READ THE STICKIES,ETC”) the local gun club, the forums, everything will just simply die.

Just my .02c worth.

Art
    Yup. I have noticed attitude to some of our younger or newer participants. They post something they find interesting that may be of benefit to someone else and then the negativity starts. I am not talking about a post that corrects an error but some feel they have to chime in and bash em. Why? If you don't like it, just move on to another post. We will lose these younger/new members real quick. No one likes to get slammed, especially from "old farts". I am 62.

Boolit Master
    I'm one of the youngsters here, being 60, and like others, this is my most visited forum. The younger folks are more enamored of newer methods of communication, as should be expected, which means we either adapt, or fade into obscurity.....we don't reach out enough, and frequently come across as the luddites we are.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

For many of us casting weather is spring and fall. I'm working in the garages so extreme heat leads to sweating all over everything (bad tinsel fairy) and in winter it is too cold much of the time. Although a big burner does warm things up nicely on milder days. For others in the desert southwest I imagine winter is when they have the best weather for casting and smelting. Summer is for the garden, camping, outdoor projects.

This forum is broad based. It covers a wide range of interests with useful information. Casting, reloading metallic and shot shell, black powder, old military surplus, handguns, gunsmithing, etc. It is rare to not find this site on the first page of Google results when searching for anything in those subjects.

Age of participants is a concern. Not only are we as a population becoming more urban with the difference in perspective that can bring but our families are tending to spread out from each other to go where work or opportunities are. Removes some of that family influence from "grandpa" or "uncle Joe" who re-loads from being around the younger generation. If it takes a two day trip to visit and an infrequent event then younger family is just not going to be around to learn or have their curiosity sparked.

I think this is an older guy hobby. Takes a bit of living and learning to develop the skills and patience for casting and reloading. All most of us can do is encourage the interest when we find others with it and be good ambassadors for the sport and hobby. Not to mention if you are still single and chasing members of the opposite sex that can considerably dent your funds available for hobbies.

The high cost of components right now is not doing the hobby any favors. Lot of folks see $100 primers and expensive components and just don't pursue it. I started a person in their 30's loading for .38 special and if it wasn't for my being able to provide some components I'm pretty sure they would just not reload and shoot less. Although to be fair they did stock up on brass at recent gun show. Younger folks do have a lot to grab their attention, especially in summer. Young adults have household projects, teens have social activities, parents have family activities.

Summer is time for garage and estate sales to scrounge up goodies such as solder or pewter for fall melting. Fishing and camping. Prepping brass for later reloading in the cool of the basement. Things will pick up come fall. If nothing else a few friends will want 20 rifle rounds for sight in and deer hunting. Seems a heavy chunk of fairly soft lead works really well
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    not be a moderator, but i'm just guessing that big game rifles are put away. the small caliber group (targets, varmints, etc...) is a subset that handloads. i'll start seeing it pick up this fall.
    My take is twofold.

1, I am on a few boards owned by verticalscope.. and they are trying very hard to close down and destroy one of the boards.. trying very hard to run off most of the posters.... considering they sell advertisement and get paid on clicks... that seems counter productive.. but who am I to wonder....

2, shooting sports in general are suffering right now due to ammo cost and availability. Guns that use exotic ammo , unless you reload.. may just be priced out of range to take them out on the town. Nobody like to pay 10+$ on a triggerpull....

Downloading a picture is not a big deal...if...you use a host like IMGUR. Seriously...it's free & it's easy to use, I'm 72 and by no means a computer guru...I'ma dinosaur.

IMGUR stores your pictures and you have access to pages of them listed like this...

Select the photo you need to post & select the appropriate link for the forum your in...

Like I said, select the image link & paste it in this forum like anything else you'd paste...

You even control the size of the picture...no kidding, it's pretty dang easy...

Nothing enhances something your talking about like a good photo.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

We're talking about direct download, drag and drop tech has been around a long time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    I'm one of the youngsters here, being 60, and like others, this is my most visited forum. The younger folks are more enamored of newer methods of communication, as should be expected, which means we either adapt, or fade into obscurity.....we don't reach out enough, and frequently come across as the luddites we are.
    Here, I'll correct it; LEADDITES!!

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    We're talking about direct download, drag and drop tech has been around a long time.
    Sorry...I wouldn't know anything about the 'type' of technology this is...I am a computer dinosaur..."get the picture?"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I see why some forums die. Too much bad information put out, especially it seems on reloading forums. I think a lot of the members we have here found it by accident, and found out the old guys really do know stuff, and you get no B.S. answers here that isn't quickly corrected by someone who has been there- done that, rather than reading what someone else just read somewhere with no hands on experience.
    I just hope Willie has a line of succession in case he ever wants to retire from herding this bunch of cats!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I did not have a lot of money when I was younger, so casting and reloading was a necessity if I wanted to shoot a lot. There was no internet, and I learned from reading and from the older guys I shot with. I treated them with respect and was eager to learn from their experience. One guy in particular mentored me and took me under his wing.

My take about the current crop of young guys. Some have "instant gratification" syndrome. Buy a few boxes of cheap stuff and go blast it up. Hitting the paper = accuracy. Some seem to lack critical thinking skills. They cannot determine when someone on YouTube or a forum is full of crap. They have been conditioned to accept "fake news".

I expect most young guys coming to this forum not to be typical of the young guys I used to see at public ranges. They will have an incentive to learn and meet their needs. And for most, those needs are like mine were over 50 years ago. How do I shoot more inexpensively and make quality bullets and ammunition?

If they are infected with the "instant gratification" syndrome, they will not be successful. YouTube makes it look easy...too easy. I suspect many come here after getting their noses bloodied by believing any caveman can cast perfect bullets using whatever cheap crap they can find.

There is a line between being "civil" and accepting reality. For many folks, being told they are wrong crosses that "civility" line. A recent thread I participated in serves as an example.

It discussed the effectiveness of lighter loads in shotshells for shooting trap. Some folks believe a lighter charge is just as effective as a heavier payload. They are wrong but hold firm in their opinion. An inexperienced trap shooter looking to save money might drink the Kool-Aid if he lacks critical thinking skills. Of course, it is not "civil" to say that. But all is good...as disagreement may generate more "clicks" and "clicks" are important. Facebook learned that. If we all agreed, there would not be much less traffic.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    all I know is from my own experience. I do know that I was very active in a couple other forums in the past. on one of these I was run off, banned I guess, because I disagreed with the opinion of a moderator on a non shooting sports subject. there were many with differing opinions and it seems all who did not agree 100 percent with moderator were banned. gives me some comfort knowing I was just one of many. and on another site there were some that seemed to track what others are doing and saying to the point of it being really creepy like right up to the point of them telling everyone what others on the forum personal info is and suggesting they go and liberate them of their personal possessions.
    so there are all kinds of situations in our world

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If we all agreed, there would not be much less traffic.
    I heard from at least once source that Facebook actually promotes argument and disagreement because it generates so much more traffic.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    there was book written by one of the founders of Facebook that exposed the website for those tactics they use to promote argument and disagreement and promotes hatred towards others. we all can agree to disagree in a civil society but when some entity thinks they can take from you either your possessions, your rights or your peace of mind. that crosses a boundary in my way of thinking that is very wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast