Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other Forums Dying Out? Less Active?

Other Forums Dying Out? Less Active?

I'm a member of probably six on-line gun forums. Most of my activity is primarily here and one other. When I've popped into most of the others lately, it seems as if they've pretty much -- died.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Is it a trend, and does it have implications for gun activity in general?? I hate to think that as a group, we gun owners are pulling back and becoming less social and active in our hobby. I think we are at a time when we need to stand proud and promote our activities in a healthy and law abiding way.

Gun forums need not be competitive with each other, and the more of them that exist, the better we will be served and grow as a group. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Banned
    not be a moderator, but i'm just guessing that big game rifles are put away. the small caliber group (targets, varmints, etc...) is a subset that handloads. i'll start seeing it pick up this fall.

It's pretty common for various different forums to quiet down during the summer.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-21-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I noticed the same thing. One thing I believe contributes to their decline. Other forums are simply not as easy to use. Cast Boolits is simply the best there is. I have also noticed that some other forums are populated with a bunch of snobs.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 06-21-2022 at 04:42 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Thanks, Gopher Slayer, what a great compliment!

Mr. hoodat, sometimes it has all been said for awhile. Know what I mean? You can just say so much about this or that until someone happens along with a new slant, question, or information that stimulates conversation.

New members are a great asset, as they tend to ask questions.

What I like the most about the Castboolits Forum is our attempt to maintain civility. Other forums, as noted by Gopher Slayer, are filled with snobs and snide remarks.

DG

Boolit Master
    I personally believe that all online forums are pretty much dying - especially firearms related forums. What's the average age of members here? It seems that on several of the forums that I frequent, there are a lot of folks in their 70s and even 80s. I'm the relative young pup on at least one forum, because I'm only 66!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I agree with gopher. Many of the others upgraded to some canned forum hosting service and they are just not user friendly. This place is great !

I love this forum for the great civility that is generally shown by most all members. AND the incredibly wide range of topics -- on any given day you can find a conversation ranging from the love of Jesus, all the way to your favorite coon recipe. This quite frankly would be an interesting forum for folks who don't even own a gun. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Do very much appreciate the positive attitudes here, even in political bs rants in the pit, things never degenerate to name calling as they so often do in other places. IMO this has a little to with the membership and a lot to do with consistent and thoughtful moderation over a long period.

About the software, I wish it were easier to post images directly to the site.

Boolit Master

I agree wieth JimB.. ; software upgrade to make posting pics easier.

Boolit Master
    I will second that. My wife is good with computers but she gave up trying to help me download. Maybe it's on my end but I'm not having a problem else were. I think people thought they liked getting into guns and when shtf they had to find a cheaper hobby. Our 700 membership range has dried up a lot. The diehards still show up. If you don't reload you are screwed. I feel for people starting out reloading. I am straying away from other places to spend more time here. I like swappin&sellin.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 06-21-2022 at 02:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    I expect part of this is because some of the conversation has moved to other platforms. The younger set, if they wanted to establish or participate in a community like this one, wouldn't necessarily think of hosting a forum on a server like this, they would think of Reddit, or something like Discord (despite the fact that Discord is objectively terrible in almost every way). They'll find out the hard way what they're giving up when they give away the right and ability to admin their own place and set their own policy... I think these things will go in cycles.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I expect part of this is because some of the conversation has moved to other platforms. The younger set, if they wanted to establish or participate in a community like this one, wouldn't necessarily think of hosting a forum on a server like this, they would think of Reddit, or something like Discord (despite the fact that Discord is objectively terrible in almost every way). They'll find out the hard way what they're giving up when they give away the right and ability to admin their own place and set their own policy... I think these things will go in cycles.
    This.

The younger generation does everything on Facebook and other social media platforms that are smartphone based. Some of those social media shooting groups are huge compared to the average forum.

Forums are old school now.

A decline of forum activity is not an indication of a decline in the popularity of the shooting sports.

Where I'm at, there are so many more younger [ under 40 ] people taking up rifle shooting sports like PRS, Long Range and ELR. This is the fastest growing area of the shooting sports that I can see.

It's the older crowd that are still shooting handguns only as part of sport shooting associations.

Boolit Master
    They’re all going for a new (common) format that’s used by not only guns, but by everything else. From what I see on the ones I belong to, no one seems to like the new/common format. I know I don’t and I’ve been using them long enough to know that I’m just not going to like the new format. This site is still the best and easiest to navigate and understand.

Boolit Master
    We are probably just seeing a normal evolution. Initially there were the email groups, which one does still exist. Then the Forums, and with good or poor moderation, have succeeded or failed. And as noted, the Social Media forums are presently the newest and greatest thing. Perhaps next will be Skype type forums where you can sit and visit with a person, not a screen name. And I do agree that this can be a seasonal thing. Most active when the cold keeps folks at home. Least active in warm months with the other activities and tasks needed. It is all good though.

Boolit Master
    Long ago we sent each other postcards.
    Important stuff was telegraphed.
    Then light bulbs so we could watch TV in the dark.
    Stamps were a nickel; we wrote letters, now a dollar is the new nickel.

Then we stuck index cards with thumbtacks to message boards.
    Got in trouble for xeroxing cartoons.
    Algore invented the web, we went online to message boards.
    Nobody, especially the doctor's office, answers their phone anymore.
    Only the boss sends emails TL;DR
    Facebook came and went but I skipped that agony.
    I never did Tweet.

This forum still works because a lot of people value it and make it work.
    When the lights go out, we'll be back to thumbtacks.
    Sure was easier to post a picture with a thumbtack.

If they could just get rid of me, this place would be perfect!

ADMIN

It’s just summer. People are outside.
    Posting amount goes up when people are stuck inside.
    That means during the hottest part of summer and the coldest part of winter.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    "Summertime......and du livin' is ea-sy". Many are outside doing stuff and have no time to pound keyboards inside!

Of the 6 forums I belong to, this is the only fire-arms/casting one in the lot. All the others are slow in the summer too.

Just find some other things to do! I sure have.

banger

Boolit Master
    Just another shortage plus the cost of posts just doubled.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast