WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Other Forums Dying Out? Less Active?

Boolit Grand Master

I would also consider that in todays political climate that some are pulling back and not making ownership known (or feelings) on a public forum

Most folks do not realize the time and expense that goes into maintaining a site like this. It gets to be just like, water comes from a faucet, no one sees the wells, pipes, maintenance in freezing rain, etc. Water just comes from the faucet. This site nor any of the others, work by themselves. Anyone and everyone can invite someone to join or help out. These sites are under constant attack, the attacks weare on the adminstrator and the IT folks, some attacks cost a good bit of money to fix. People change sites because they must.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I read your post twice and still don't know what it is you were trying to say. Of course this site and the maintaining of said site costs money; but the owner MAKES money from this site as well. I'd venture to say the more spent is money well spent in that it makes the site more attractive to new users. I don't know about you, but no one "invited" me to join, I searched out information and found the answer here so I joined. It's not rocket science ya know.
    As to Wolfdog's OP; right on point as usual.

I'm on two forums I keep track of. This being one of them, I may not log in everyday, but I look at it. Sometimes I feel I may be able to contribute something, other times if there's nothing I can add to a post by someone then there's no need for me to reply to it. That, and I do my best to speak only from personal experience.

My other forum started out with a small base of probably 20-30 shooters of all ages, that was in the late 90's. It seemed to have all but died for a while, I still check it daily. While it was once pretty active, it now goes for a week or more before there are a few posts. It's been sad to see the decline there in posts. A lot came and went (dis-respect of fellow members just wasn't tolerated), and some have crossed on over the river.

The generational gap. I'm 68 now and when I think about it, I found myself in that mind set that a much younger man can't teach me much when it came to my job. Was I ever wrong about that one. I suspect that applied not only to my job, but life in general. I'll admit it was a bitter pill to swallow, but it was good medicine.

With so much information out there anymore, there is a reason people join forums. Mine is to learn, share my experience, and have interaction with others.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Sparky45--I hope I don't get in a jam for "talking out of school", but this forum is just about a break even proposition. There is a fund drive every year to keep the server operating. I've offered the owner ideas in the past to increase revenue, but he's always come back with his desire that the forum be educational and not a business.

DG

I started this thread sixty some posts back. I was kinda troubled about all the dying forums, but I guess this ain't one of them. That's a good thing. I'll repeat that there seems to be a great bunch of folks here and they seem to give and get respect from each other. It also seems that we seem to dwell on a lot of interesting little tid- bits about this basic hobby. I think it's the little things that make ANYTHING more interesting.

Maybe the problem with all those other forums is that everyone left them to come here. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

And as far as loading pics, it doesn't seem too hard, and I'm a technotard. It's done a little different on almost every forum, and everybody seems to use a little different technique. I say keep on trying, because pics just make things more interesting and fun. Here's a couple of the "up and comers" that we all need to fill with love for our sport. If nothing else, it will provide someone for us to pass our beloved guns on to. jd

Attachment 301532
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Maybe the problem with all those other forums is that everyone left them to come here.
    All of these forums develop and reflect the personality of their 'regulars' and what the owner will allow or tolerate.

As most of us have seen:
    If the regulars are a bunch of problem children, and the owners & moderators tolerate such behavior--
    especially where new members are ridiculed or treated like dirt, those forums always die out sooner or later.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-25-2022 at 09:07 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    "The high cost of components right now is not doing the hobby any favors. Lot of folks see $100 primers and expensive components and just don't pursue it. I started a person in their 30's loading for .38 special and if it wasn't for my being able to provide some components I'm pretty sure they would just not reload and shoot less."

I am sure that this is part of the issue. 50 to 500 % increases in costs have made shooting more costly, while fear of inflation and recession have made many hesitant to spend on hobbies. My area has seen gasoline prices double, albeit they did "plummet" this week by 40¢, still at $4.459 it affects me, I think twice about just running 35 miles to the range. What was about 5 dollars, now is more like 10. This coupled with other rising prices makes a day at the range more of a dent on the budget. If I was still young, with a couple of daughters and a wife to provide for, and limited disposable income, a pizza and movie night would frequently displace 22's in the desert. And that would decrease the amount of time I'd spend on the internet looking at shooting sites.
    Hopefully, this too will pass, just like Jimmy Carter's stagflation, or Geo. H. W Bush's reduced defense spending induced recession, or the housing bubble. When money gets tight, discretionary spending is reduced. And interests follow the money.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    And as far as loading pics, it doesn't seem too hard, and I'm a technotard. It's done a little different on almost every forum, and everybody seems to use a little different technique. I say keep on trying, because pics just make things more interesting and fun. Here's a couple of the "up and comers" that we all need to fill with love for our sport. If nothing else, it will provide someone for us to pass our beloved guns on to. jd

Attachment 301532
    That's a fine looking pair of young 'uns, jd. And you're right that it's really what it's all about---passing along the sport and knowledge. I can't agree with you more about posting photos. They make any thread more interesting, and like the old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" I always try to post one if available.

DG

JMHO many have been taken over by Canadian + other media corporations - most changed for the worse with poor administrators + moderators -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    This forum seems to have fewer of the internet expert types that eventually dominate some forums. The experts will occasionally let slip someting that gives them away as not near as knowledgeable as they would have you believe. I see them as internet experts because they just repeat what they read and seem to have little knowledge gained from personal experience. The fact that moderators here do not tolerate arrogant, vulgar types is another plus.

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    This forum seems to have fewer of the internet expert types that eventually dominate some forums. The experts will occasionally let slip someting that gives them away as not near as knowledgeable as they would have you believe. I see them as internet experts because they just repeat what they read and seem to have little knowledge gained from personal experience. The fact that moderators here do not tolerate arrogant, vulgar types is another plus.
    totally agree i have given up on several forums in past year for the reasons you stated -
    many believe facts are true because they read them on the internet !
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

I think that for a lot of us, the forums provide a way to enjoy our love of firearms vicariously through the experiences of one another.

I can literally go a mile up the road and shoot -- anything. From high-powered rifles, shotgun, pistol. Hunt quail, rabbits, deer, coyote --- but I find myself sitting on my butt, like right now, talking about it rather than doing it. Maybe because it's so easy to do, I don't make a big thing of it very much.

I'm 65 years old, and I've got 55 years of experiences, memories, pictures, equipment, books, components, --- and frequently more to say than needs to be said about it all.

I think these forums serve a great purpose for all of us, and it makes me kind of sad to see any of them decline. jd

Boolit Grand Master

It seems like most of the forums that I'm on slow down in the Summer. Maybe its too hot in parts of the Country to shoot, cast or reload. Or maybe we have yard work to do or kids or grandkids participating in sports.

Boolit Master

Yup..here in Florida..super hot n humid..grass can be mowed twice a week sometimes.

Boolit Master
    Most forums on all subjects are on the decline. Compared to Facebook they are alot of work to keep running and sometimes harder to navigate. Saying that castboolits seems to be one of the easiest and the combined knowledge is huge. FB is full of idiots and I dropped most of the shooting and loading group

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Being 24 and on alot of forums I see and get alot of what your talking about. Most people my age just will just leave after a few times or stop posting.
    Honestly on a few forums I see the same bad attituded senior type you speak of talk about how they whish there where more young people getting in then turn around and bash people my age. That and alot of us enjoy talking honestly and when where retold to just go read a book it's like " well ok what's the point of the forum then ?"
    And when we bring this up out come the comments about snow flakes and disrespect being know it alls ect... Gets old after a while and it's kinda bad how predictable it can be
    Absolutely what I am talking about Wolfie. Respect gets you respect. I of course grew up in a different world. When I was young, I had a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag. Brought it to work and the old guy I worked with asked me how often I shot it….not much was my response, small kids, expensive ammo. First words out of his mouth were “what are ya. Stupid?” Oh boy, face red, embarrassed, I’d never heard of reloading casting. I did like the old guy though. That year (mid 80’s?) for Christmas he brought me a Lee mold, casting pot, a set of Lee dippers, and a Lee nutcracker press and then took the time to teach me how to cast/reload properly. I cast/shot thousands of loads through that Redhawk and have NEVER forgotten how he LIED TO ME! “There, you’ll save a lot of money by loading your own now!” …..and smiling when he said it……

What he didn’t tell me was 40 years later I’d have $10K or more in reloading tools, how I’d shoot a thousand time more than I currently did and I cannot wait to pass on this knowledge to someone younger but alas I’m still looking. I do have a 9 year old grandson who is my reloading buddy but haven’t been able to get any youngsters much interested yet.

I am so glad to hear of your age and hope you are here for many years to come!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I have also noticed that some other forums are populated with a bunch of snobs.

That and gunstore commando's that know everything about every subject and won't miss an opportunity in talking down to you letting you know it. I've stopped going to quite a number and am down to 3 I think.
    Wolfdog21 is right about what he is saying. Answering a question and then suggesting a few references to read even if the question has been asked 100 times is one thing, bashing someone for even asking in the first place is another.

Some forum members forget that not everyone has been shooting for over 40yrs or reloading for 30 much less casting.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    its a hard job moderating a forum...let too much slide and its messy,clamp down too much and you called a nazi.... Ive only been here 24hrs and already can see me spending lots of time here,being able to discuss my faith is a HUGE bonus,on another forum that will see your thread dissapear and do it again you are banned.
    I keep checking in on huntingnut...its been my 2nd home for years now,the pointblank is the only ballistics programme a simple chap like myself will ever need... great place,great folks but boy is it quiet as of late.
    Ive pondered the WHY it is good a few times over the years,came up with this
    mutual respect for others faith
    respect for LEOs
    respect for service folks
    looking out for each other and just taking time to check in with folks who havent posted for some time.
    keep the smutty stuff or controversial stuff to PMs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234