RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Looking for a lyman/ideal 310 expert

Boolit Mold

Looking for a lyman/ideal 310 expert

Does anyone know what thread pitch the lyman 310 dies in calibers 50-110 and 50-70 are...

ie 5/8-30 , 11/16-30 etc etc

Boolit Grand Master
    Although I’ve collected and used 310 tools for over 40 years, I have to admit I’ve never even owned a single piece of the near-mythic “large diameter” 310 stuff. I’ve seen the small diameter stuff a couple of times but the big boys have to date eluded me.

I have seen discussions (and some “crowing”) from people on the Casting and Reloading Hand Tools forum and on the Vintage Reloading Tools forum here, and IIRC, on the Ideal forum of the ARTCA.com website. They are rare enough that they merit a little bragging. Also, a member here, BrassMagnet has accumulated a bunch of 310 stuff and it might be worth a PM to see what he knows... tell him “Froggie sent me!”

Froggie

PS Although I don’t have one, I’d bet a picture of Geo Washington to a pastry with a hole in it that regardless of the major diameter the threads will turn out to be 30 tpi - Ideal and later Lyman seem to have been stuck on that!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

PS Although I don’t have one, I’d bet a picture of Geo Washington to a pastry with a hole in it that regardless of the major diameter the threads will turn out to be 30 tpi - Ideal and later Lyman seem to have been stuck on that!
    Probably because it's not a real standard, and folks who wanted to duplicate it would just about have to make their own tooling, or have someone make it specifically for them.

Bill
    Last edited by Scrounge; 06-21-2022 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added "tooling" for clarity

Boolit Mold
    Yes,
    Last edited by Mike8623; 06-23-2022 at 10:17 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I have a set of each. Did'nt realize they were hard to get.

Boolit Mold
    You would think someone out there that has a 310 die in 50-70 or 50-110 could mic the outside diameter of the die and post it.

Boolit Mold
    Well surprise, surprise I just found in my stuff an adapter that i have been trying to duplicate....exact thread pitch needed and fits my 50-70 and 50-110 dies. No idea where i got it or who made it. I also ordered a couple of custom taps, should have all this done and wrapped up by week after next.

Boolit Mold
    Well surprise, surprise I just found in my stuff an adapter that i have been trying to duplicate....exact thread pitch needed and fits my 50-70 and 50-110 dies. No idea where i got it. I also ordered a couple of custom taps, should have all this done and wrapped up by week after next.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mike8623 View Post
    Well surprise, surprise I just found in my stuff an adapter that i have been trying to duplicate....exact thread pitch needed and fits my 50-70 and 50-110 dies. No idea where i got it. I also ordered a couple of custom taps, should have all this done and wrapped up by week after next.
    What's the specification of the taps ordered?
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.