MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: New Shotty…

New Shotty…

Hey folks. I am in the market for a good pump 12ga. I would love to buy used on the private market, but I happen to have a $500 cabelas gift card- so that’s the route that I’m going.

I would like to hear from somebody who has a NEWER Winchester SXP Defender ( the black one, not the marine). Ups, downs, loves, hates…I’m looking at that one specifically because it looks like I can also get a 28” hunting barrel for it from Midway, with most of the other short barreled guns in that price range having the tube bracket in a different location when trying to switch barrels.

So- anybody own one of these and willing to share some feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Grand Master

It's just a cheap imported clone shotgun.

A plain old USA made Mossberg 500 for the same price has a larger magazine, and you can buy from 18 1/2" to 32" barrels cheap.

Boolit Master

Agree Mossberg 500. It has parts easily found

I'd buy an 870 and never look back.....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's a Turkish made copy of the Winchester 1200 shotgun( AR15 type lockup, aluminum frame, fast action)- so it will probably be just fine. The 1200 was a decent shotgun.
    I have three Turkish shotguns and they are a lot of gun for the money.
    I'm an 870 guy, too.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It's a Turkish made copy of the Winchester 1200 shotgun( AR15 type lockup, aluminum frame, fast action)- so it will probably be just fine. The 1200 was a decent shotgun.
    I have three Turkish shotguns and they are a lot of gun for the money.
    I'm an 870 guy, too.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    That’s good to hear. I am also a fan of the 870, but a couple things caused me to go a different direction: price point and the recent (last few years) quality woes with Remington.

I had a Cabelas gift card from work, so I picked up the Winchester Defender. Midway has a 28” barrel for the 5 shot model in stock, so that’s also coming at me. Basically got 2 guns for the same out the door cost as the Remington.

I guess it’s time to get tooled up to cast and load for a 12ga.

Lots of doggin’ on the Turkish mfg, but a good chunk of the CCW guns that we all carry are also made outside of the USA…so kind of a moot point for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Master

I always liked Remington's) but who knows Remington is gone. NY has a Remington making guns but is in NY and is not really Remington. I will pass. Especially cost

I would buy Mossberg first by price and availability.

Moderator Emeritus

I agree an older 870 or Mossberg 500 are a good way to go. The 500's are bullet proof and had those when a Sheriff and when with a large p.d. the 870 was supreme. You just cant go wrong with them. With that said Cabella dollars will help you decide. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I don't dog imported guns unless it's called for, which is quite often. The imported Winchester SXP defender is $370 from Cabelas. The USA made Mossberg 500 is $350 from Cabela's. Seems like a no brainer to me. I'm not sure why anyone would want the Winchester, but I'm sure they work, it is a pump action shotgun after all.

Boolit Buddy
    870. Never had to buy a part for an 870 or a Mossberg. An old wingmaster is the smoothest made.
    I had a few Mossbergs but never warmed up to them. Grip is large and square. Top safety tore the quick from my thumbnail too many times. They rattle more than 870.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Papalote View Post
    870. Never had to buy a part for an 870 or a Mossberg. An old wingmaster is the smoothest made.
    I had a few Mossbergs but never warmed up to them. Grip is large and square. Top safety tore the quick from my thumbnail too many times. They rattle more than 870.

Never shot trap at 20 below zero have you? Rem 870's break firing pins starting about zero degrees.

I have seen Moss 500's wear out trap shooting it takes 100,000 rounds or so and the most likely cause was the shooter never cleaned action that wears out the frame. Not the guns or Manufactures fault but just neglect by the shooter who has never stripped the gun and cleaned it. Spraying the inside with a cleaner and the lube will work for 10,000 rounds or so but not for over 100,000.

Any gun that bites me once get the problem corrected. In a 500 yea the safety can bite, 5- minute fix to me.

Love that safety over the 870's where newbs keep their finger on the trigger, first trip they take the gun goes of "accidently" The finger when the grip is tightened pushes safety of finger on the trigger tighten then BOOM! Accidental my butt pure negligence and possible design failure to me.

Boolit Grand Master

You might possibly be the only person I've ever heard have a broken firing pin on an 870. They do not start breaking below zero. I've shot 870's way below that.

Get a Mossberg Several people have told you this and for good reasons. Go to the thread here called "What I did to my Shotguns" for the reasons why.

here's the link just to make it easy. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...to-my-Shotguns

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You might possibly be the only person I've ever heard have a broken firing pin on an 870. They do not start breaking below zero. I've shot 870's way below that.
    Sorry but experience at my club shows they do, I agree to disagree.