MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very light, yet still safe, load for .38 spl

Boolit Master
    I got my wife a 38 LCRx. The gun is very light and she was very displeased at the recoil from my first batch of ammo using a starting charge and 120 gr bullets.

I played around a bunch and found a she was happy with my lightest bullet, a Lee 102 RN (mine drop at 108), pushed to around 615 fps using TG or Red Dot. Since I started loading them for her, I found them to be more than adequate for a lot of my shooting. This includes 4 different handguns and one rifle. I have loaded thousands of these and they work great.

If you really want help, tell us the lightest bullet you are willing to use, and tell us the powders you have available. Someone will probably chime in with a proven load and/or someone like me will use Quickload to come up with something.

Alternately, you may find a nice load at the link below. I saw some 120s and 125s with posted velocities under 600 fps.
    https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/38-special/
    Last edited by P Flados; 06-23-2022 at 12:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    I did some testing with Win231 and a 4" Model 15 and a 4" Model 67 and came up with these results:
    VELOCITY TESTING - 38 SPECIAL

WIN 231-HP-38
    MODEL 67 4" - 2/24/19 w/ sky screens
    4.1 grains WIN 231 & 158 - 160 gr lead bullet SWC -
    803, 818, 769, 781, 770 fps - average 788fps

MODEL 15 4"
    4.0 grains WIN 231 & 158 - 160 gr lead bullet SWC -
    average 792 fps

BULLSEYE
    MODEL 67 4"
    3.8 grains Bullseye & 158 gr Speer swaged SWC -
    763, 782, 773, 774 fps - average 773 fps

MODEL 15 4"
    3.8 grains Win 231 & 158 gr Speer swaged SWC -
    760, 784, 783, 792, 791, 749, 783 FPS - average 777 fps

But like someone once said each revolver is a law unto itself. I am sure the above results will not be the same as you get in the Ruger. May shoot slower or faster due to chamber and groove diameters, etc.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Years ago there was a controversy about the classic 2.7/Bullseye/148 gr. HBWC load "detonating" rather than burning, in .38 Spl. cases. I think the final culprit was ultimately found to be one or more double-charges somewhere.
    While I can see how it COULD be problematic to go far below recommended starting loads, I cannot imagine a case in which going 10% lower would buy you any trouble. There IS some risk of a load being so light that the projectile does not exit the barrel. This is a significant hazard for revolver shooters who drastically reduce powder charges (say, for indoor practice). Again, it is difficult for me to imagine this trouble from a 10% reduction below minimum, particularly when using propellants with a burning rate similar to Bullseye.

Depending on the distances involved, you MIGHT also consider finding data for loading 000 Buck shotgun pellets over very light charges of HP-38. One of the old SPEER manuals had such data, and my "band of reprobates" tried some just for fun. They had essentially no recoil and were more accurate than most of us, out to 50 feet. Propellants like Bullseye, W231 (HP-38 by another name) and IMR 700-X were used, and no charge weight exceeded 2.0 grains.
    As I remember, we merely pressed the .36" lead balls into the belled (and pawder charged) case until they were flush, and then "taper crimped" them, as one would do with an auto pistol round. No significant amount of "roll crimp", as is commonly used in revolver rounds, was used in these.
    Just a thought.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Moderator Emeritus

see post #8

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ow-is-too-slow

posted by Outpost75
    In my experience lubricated lead bullets will exit a rifle barrel down to about 600 fps, but jacketed bullets have greater bore drag and don't seal the bore as well, so require higher velocities of about 800 fps to be sure of reliable bore exit. In a 2" .38 Special revolver you can maintain reliable bore exit of lubricated lead bullets down to about 450 fps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

You have the answer with your Lee 95gr .380 bullet. I have the original Ranch Dog mold for that bullet and played with it in my K-38 some years back. Loaded over 4.5 grs of Bullseye it does 850fps out of a 6" bbl and benched 12 shot 50yd (Yes 50yd) groups avg 2-2.5". Recoil will be considerably less than 158's and you can always back down from 4.5BE for even less recoil. Good luck.
    PS. That 4.5BE would be about 5.2/231. That will give you the same speed (as my BE load) and you obviously can go lower as start for the 105 is 4.2/231.
    Last edited by fecmech; 06-25-2022 at 03:04 PM.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Moderator Emeritus

For reduced recoil the easiest way is to reduce bullet weight.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I haave used 38 S&W loads with good success, by setting the bullet deep in the 38 spec. case to 38 S&W OAL
    BD

Boolit Master

If you ever can, find a 95gr Lrn.. I make cowboy loads with them and shoot in a 38spl converted colt open top ( Richards Mason style ). I load over trail boss. About as mild as you can get.

Boolit Master
    I worked up a load for a Lyman 358345 SWC, about 113 grns with my alloy. For a powder I used 3.2 grns of sr7625. It had the report and recoil of a 22lr! Unfortunately 7625 was discontinued about five years ago. I called hodgen and inquired what powder I could use in its place of 7625 once I ran out. The answer I received was titegroup. I have not tried titegroup, nor am I endorsing it as a replacement. If you can find this mold and don’t have Access to 7625 and want to try titegroup, I can’t emphasize enough proceed with caution! I do not assume for one second that is a one for one replacement! I’m merely posting this to let you know that their answer is out there. I believe Lee makes a couple lightweight 9mm/38caliber molds also. If I were you I would first try and find a mold or a bullet preferably semi wadcutter if not round nose of similar weight that I mentioned. Then I searched through any reloading manuals I had access to find any load data in 38 special for that weight bullet and work from there. If by any chance you could duplicate the mold and powder that I used, boy that load is the cats meow! My 9year old granddaughter has fired it with no problems! Except she has to use a sandbag rest cause she said, and I quote:”poppy this gun is awful heavy” it’s a Smith and Wesson model 10 with a 4 inch barrel LOL! I’ve even been asked who makes that 22? lol. Hope any of this helps
    Have fun and be safe
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Titegroup is snappy..i wouldn't download any of the pistol loads.. Cast loads are as low as it gets for tg. There are a few rifle reduced loads..like for 5.56..but it's rare.

3.0 CLAYS 120-130gr

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    krh1326, the NRA reloading book had an article about low power loads in 38 SPCL and how to develop them. If you don't have that reference I can copy and snail mail it to you. The loads used Bullseye and were in the 1.25 range, but POA/POI were way apart with fixed sights.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Titegroup is snappy..i wouldn't download any of the pistol loads.. Cast loads are as low as it gets for tg. There are a few rifle reduced loads..like for 5.56..but it's rare.
    Any basis for the above?? I kind of get tired at people bashing a powder or saying it won't do something with no real basis.

TG is fast burning, easy to ignite and meters great at very low charges. Red Dot / Promo are also fast burning and easy to ignite, but not as good about small charge metering. 700x, clays and other fast flake shotgun/pistol powders all seem to work about the same as Red Dot.

I have used Promo and TG a lot while working down to mouse fart loads (pistol and bottle neck). I frequently have been well "off the map" with off odd little cartridges and/or very light bullets not in any manual for my rounds. Never once had a stuck bullet due to working down to light loads, or any other powder related problem with my mouse fart adventures.

I can’t thank you all, enough. We had an amazing day at the range, and he was so happy. I was able to make such a spread of loads for him to play with. I actually had loads that were excessively light, and we were able to rule them right out. The lightest was the 95 gr boolit that I use in .380 over 3.1 grs HP-38. It went POP, then a minute later, there was a hole in the target, lol. It looks like he’s in the range of 105 gr over 4 grs, 120 and 125 over 3.5, and 158 over 3.4.
    Thanks to all of you that helped, I’ll be able to load him up with many many rounds to take back home, and refine even further.
    Thanks again.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Depending on the distances involved, you MIGHT also consider finding data for loading 000 Buck shotgun pellets over very light charges of HP-38. One of the old SPEER manuals had such data, and my "band of reprobates" tried some just for fun. They had essentially no recoil and were more accurate than most of us, out to 50 feet. Propellants like Bullseye, W231 (HP-38 by another name) and IMR 700-X were used, and no charge weight exceeded 2.0 grains.
    As I remember, we merely pressed the .36" lead balls into the belled (and pawder charged) case until they were flush, and then "taper crimped" them, as one would do with an auto pistol round. No significant amount of "roll crimp", as is commonly used in revolver rounds, was used in these.
    Just a thought.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC567199-8DA8-41B9-854C-A316DF7229D5.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	302080
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE491397-B84E-4FCF-9B37-AC46A742E83F.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	302079

This is the perfect recommendation for what you’re trying to do. I’m using 2.5 grain of TrailBoss. I run them through a 358 sizer to put an equator ring, and I lubed with a super thin coat of alox.

Fun, quiet, squirrel-head accurate out to 30 yards with my Marlin, soda can accurate to about the same with my 686.

You’ll get many shots per pound of lead, and casting 18 rounds per cast is kind of convenient, too.

so my recommendation would be Hodgdon Clays. I did some testing a while back. I was testing some 38spl in a 6in barrel GP 100 and a 1.87in barrel Ruger LCR, a very light snubbie. I had worked up some loads with Power Pistol and HP-38 for my 6in gun. but found the velocities were inconsistent in the short barrel and there was a lot of unburnt powder (shot a ballistics gel block at point blank and it looked like it had used a pepper grinder on the front of the block) so I theorized that a faster burning powder would get a more complete burn in the shorter barrel. I picked up a pound of Clays and decided to test again. The result was, at Hodgdons max of 3.1g with a 158g bullet, I could shoot that light snubbie all days long without it hurting my hand at all, and that was with a max charge. Granted velocities were not fantastic, 690fps, SD 18.18, ES 59 wit 15rnds tested. But the loads were super light and fun to shoot. My friend tried them in his SP 101. he found they all shot rather high from point of aim, but in that heavier steel gun they were well less than 9mm, and light for 38spl.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12