WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Alpha Magnetic Powder Check - Anyone use?

Boolit Buddy

Double Alpha Magnetic Powder Check - Anyone use?

Hello,

I'm looking into purchasing this item:

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-m...c-powder-check

This is mainly since I feel this is the one area that I cannot double or triple check with 100% certainty after a round has been loaded. I can check length, case gauge, primer all after the fact to my heart's content but not powder in the case. I use the Hornady powder cop now and it works well and I've caught things with it, but I feel like an audible signal would work better.

Does anyone have experience with these? Reviews indicate that it may be finicky.

Thanks in advance for any experience you can share.

Boolit Buddy
    ddeck22, I have several of them and they are very accurate. I use one on my Mark7. Actually, better than the Mark7 version.
    Rewired one to have an input to my PLC which interfaces with all the other sensors. I would use them over the Dillon version because they are very easy to setup. You can get a very narrow window when monitoring the powder level.

Hope this helps on making your decision.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the detailed review. They are fairly inexpensive for peace of mind and just wanted to see what others thought before purchasing.

Boolit Master

Was just wondering which powder check die to use. Appreciate the thread and appreciate the responses.
    Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-05006.../dp/B003D6ZLXE

It just has a visual indicator. What I like about the double alpha one and others like it is that it has an audio indicator as well. So, if I am looking at something else (like the case feeder) I don't miss the warning.

Boolit Master

I like the idea of an audio warning, since I’m watching too many things on my progressive as it is.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Bub
    I liked the concept, light plus alarm. Really was never crazy about the dillon checks. Bought one, adjusted it and went to reloading sometimes it doesn't go off when it should and other times go's off when it shouldn,t. Not reliable for me I took it off and put it in my junk drawer and put the dillon back on. Usually the da stuffs nice but I'm sorry I bought this. Bill

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have any experience with these but share your angst ... Long time ago ...
    A no charge in a 38 special case left a boolit in the forcing cone / chamber ...the Good Lord tied the gun up saving my young and ignorant self .

Back then the only method I could come up with to triple check powder charges was to load on a Single Stage and use powder scoops to dip and measure powder into each case ...then eyeball the powder level two more times before a boolit is seated ...
    Slow ...Heck Yeah ... Safe ... I've never had another no or double charge in 50 years .
    I'm also from an age that doesn't like to trust my life to "Electronics" if I can help it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    Well after a bit of fooling around I found the case alarm switch was hanging up sometimes. Smoothed out the plastic plunger stii doing it just not as often. Checked the aluminum housing it sits in. There was a small ridge in it that would hang up the plunger once in a while If it hangs up the powder alarm won't work. Very carefully removed the ridge and polished (as best I could) the housing. It now seems to work. I going to try and use it again first screw up and it goes into the trash can. Although I contacted Double Alpha no reply from them, So My final recomendation is a thumbs down. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ddeck22 View Post
    I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-05006.../dp/B003D6ZLXE

It just has a visual indicator. What I like about the double alpha one and others like it is that it has an audio indicator as well. So, if I am looking at something else (like the case feeder) I don't miss the warning.
    Hornady should pick a different name for that die, I'm sure there are a lot of jaded people who grimace at that products name.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Hornady should pick a different name for that die, I'm sure there are a lot of jaded people who grimace at that products name.
    I'm guessing that Antifa types are into reloading, so I doubt it makes a difference. But let's come up with some other names:

Hornady Powder Patron
    Hornady Powder Protector
    Hornady Powder Guard
    Hornady Powder Watchperson (see what I did there?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Allen View Post
    I liked the concept, light plus alarm. Really was never crazy about the dillon checks. Bought one, adjusted it and went to reloading sometimes it doesn't go off when it should and other times go's off when it shouldn,t. Not reliable for me I took it off and put it in my junk drawer and put the dillon back on. Usually the da stuffs nice but I'm sorry I bought this. Bill
    I bought one 3 years back or so and still use it every time the progressive gets used. There is an adjustment on the magnet/stem for powder heigth, screwing the die in/out adjusts when the limit switch turns on/off, and the sensitivity screw adjustment. Usually if I'm getting false beeps/blips it's the die body heigth. Solid tone is usually I've got the sensitivity set to high as it's pretty easy to get the magnet set in the middle of the range.

I'd buy another one if the need came up.

Boolit Bub
    After running a couple hundred rounds my opinion at this point the dillon is just as good except the dillon throws some powder out of the case not a lot just enough to make a mess after a while. The DA keeps it in the brass because of the design. It's probably headed back to my junk drawer if you can't trust it what's the point?

I hate piezo buzzers. So if it's one of those, like Dillon uses on theirs....forget it. That piercing sound makes me want to smash it. But the only other offering is RCBS's and Hornady's visual ones, which are too easy to not look at when you're busy with all the steps on a progressive.

So for me the best answer is to automate bullet and casefeeding, so you can focus just on powder charge, by either looking in each case directly or look at a video screen big enough, and close enough, to be "in your face." You can epoxy an endoscope inside an old sizer die, or better.....use a micro camera, like I did below, thus not using up a station....but either way I think it's best to buy a 5" video screen and mount it as close to you as possible by the press....where you can't help but look.

Attachment 306333
    Last edited by GWS; 11-21-2022 at 07:48 PM.

Boolit Bub
    What I tried was a piece of tape on the side of the electronics box. Took a marker and marked the tape were the magnent stops when there's a weighed load in a case. Seems to be accurate but thats pretty much how i use the dillon only I don't need the tape

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Allen View Post
    What I tried was a piece of tape on the side of the electronics box. Took a marker and marked the tape were the magnent stops when there's a weighed load in a case. Seems to be accurate but thats pretty much how i use the dillon only I don't need the tape
    Bill, I’m in a similar situation as you. Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity screw? I didn’t even know it had one until reading here, but not at home right now so can’t investigate that option. So far mine is also in the “completely untrustworthy” category, but I love the idea and want it to work.

Boolit Bub
    I'm about a few thousand rounds loaded so for now it's sitting in the press. Overall I don't trust it it's better since I put a piece of tape on the side. When I start loading again I'll fool around with it some more put at this point I don't like it nor trust it. Beside not trusting it, it slows my 1050 down since I'm focused on it and slow down to watch it. When you're so focused on one thing on a progressive press you may miss something else happening.

Boolit Mold
    DA has been very responsive to my requests for help (and quick to replace a faulty part). I will try a couple things they mentioned regarding this issue when I’m back home later this week, and will report with findings here.

Boolit Master
    Electronics are all fine and dandy, I do the old fashion way, primers in cartridge, 100 at a time, by hand, weigh a powder charge, put in case, do another, when I get to 100 in the charge block, visually inspect each cartridge with flashlight, put solid bleach cut wad in, put plastic cut wad in, run into compression die, set bullet, seat bullet. I only single load each cartridge. So no help here.....

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    I hate piezo buzzers. So if it's one of those, like Dillon uses on theirs....forget it. That piercing sound makes me want to smash it. But the only other offering is RCBS's and Hornady's visual ones, which are too easy to not look at when you're busy with all the steps on a progressive.
    Attachment 306333
    The RCBS lock out die is not a visual aid. It will stop the the press if a no charge or double charge is detected. I use one just about every time I load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast