Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 300 blackout subsonic bullet mold options

Boolit Mold

300 blackout subsonic bullet mold options

Hi. I've just started casting my own bullets and bought the Lee 230 grain .309 mold and following up with powder coating then sizing the bullets to .309. The bullet tip is pointed and loads perfectly into my AR15 rifle.
    I'm focusing on subsonic loads - my suppressor is in the works but I don't have it yet.
    I'm using CFE BLK powder, about 11 grains and this all seems to be working fairly well so far. I haven't had a single loading/cycling jamb, I'm getting pretty good accuracy and consistency at 50 yards, and it's been a lot of fun to start this new part of my reloading process.

I've been looking for another mold to try that's less weight than the 230 grain bullet, but the only options I see from Lee are all 'round nose' bullets. I'm concerned that a round nose bullet will not cycle in my AR15 - but I have no reason to say that because I haven't tried any.

Anyone have a suggestion on a mold for me to try that's maybe around 180 to 210 grains?
    And, has anyone had success using a round nose bullet in their AR15?

Just for Information, I don't hunt, I don't shoot more than 200 yards, and I only target / plink practice.

Thanks!!!

170gr PB I use in BO AR pistol. Don't use it sub, about 1200 fps. Works fine and cycled OK.
    31-168C. Use a 185gr version also but it's GCd, not needed for subs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	301409
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I don’t think you will have a problem with the Lee roundish nose bullets in that range. I load some 150gr RN JSP that I have on hand, they shoot and cycle fine.

I also tried a somewhat pointed cast bullet that wouldn’t feed because it was too light and too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Newman, the 230 will work well subsonic powder coated with H-110, 296, 1680, etc. I think my sub loads are 9g of 1680. RCBS makes a 30 cal silhouette 165 and a 180 plus a flat point 150 for lever guns.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Powder coating will help them cycle better than naked lead.