Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: First Shots With 6.5x55

Boolit Master

First Shots With 6.5x55

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	266673.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	301399 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5x55 Target.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	301400
    Today I got to take a rifle to the range for the first time. It's a sporter based on a '98 Turkish Mauser with an aftermarket barrel in caliber 6.5x55 Swedish. This was a popular conversion years ago. I just had the parts for it laying around for many years, and finally got the time to put things together. As I was working on this rifle I researched this site for load data and information on the 6.5x55 cartridge. I found lots of valuable information posted by Dutchman, Larry Gibson, and many others. Based on what I learned I chose a load of 14.0 grains of 2400 with the Lyman # 266673 boolit. I used PPU brass with Winchester LR primers.

After I shot several informal targets sighting in and getting used to the rifle I shot the target that I posted here. This was shot at 50 yards. The lowest bullet hole in the group (I pulled that shot) I knew that I'd messed up the shot the moment that I sent it. That opened up a 10 shot group from 7/8" to a whopping 1". Not bad for the first time out of the gate. The boolits that I used were that "hybrid" style that I've been loading, where the driving bands are powder coated but the bore riding nose isn't. All the boolits had been gas checked, sized to .266" and swirl lubed in 45-45-10. A big thanks to all the members that posted their expertise on what works, and what doesn't, with cast loads in this caliber.

Great caliber! Years ago when we lived in the Dakotas; i hunted deer with a 6.5x55 simply because my .270 ruined a little more meat than i would have liked. The 6.5 topped out where the 270 started out so i was essentially shooting the same weight bullet 2-300 fps slower. I was shooting jacketed so cast will be a little slower yet. Along the way i learned those long, high s.d bullets flew very flat and i wasn’t really giving up anything in the range department and penetration was better. We left there for Alaska and i began telling people up here about these guns and I had an ffl back then and could buy excellent guns for $55.ea, delivered! During a couple year period i sold 201 of them. At one gun show i had 2 tables and they were both full of the Swede’s; at one point there were 3 people filling out the yellow forms at the same time! Lots of them became airplane guns, some were turned into very light sheep rifles and a bunch of them kept the military look. Being a Machinist i appreciated the very high quality of the 3 makers, Huskvarna, Carl Gustov and DWM.; didnt matter to me they were all superb.
    Last edited by Alasgun; 06-19-2022 at 11:44 PM.

Neat bullets, great shooting!
    Where's the rifle????

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It’s one of my favorite calibers to shoot.

Boolit Master

Looks like you are off to a good start. I hope you can get that group to tighten up.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5 Mauser.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	358.6 KB 
ID:	301420
    Here's the rifle.

I figured that it would be nice. I'd proudly hunt with that 6.5!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Nice looking rifle.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

if you have a modern rifle N-560 is a good powder, i shoot a CZ 550 in 6.5x55 and get the 140 hornady sst,s at 2900 fps safely.

Boolit Master

Beautiful rifle. I don't have a 6.5x55. I do have a 260 Rem, it's my "long range" rifle. Problem is I never shoot long range!

Banned
    nice rifle!!!!!

i have to finish my son's 6.5 swede stock, i have to get off my butt and do a rottenstone mixed with 3 in 1 oil to make it smooth.

16 spanish mauser