RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosin-Nagant Fans?

Boolit Master
    In what I've read on them the Finns would test drive captured equipment, refurb what's needed or if in good shape & meeting their specs, would get put into service. That's why there's some Soviet rifles with Finnish markings and no change to the rifle other than rear sight markings and obliteration of the hammer and sickle. Not common as many needed work but a few did make the cut for their purposes.

I've a '95 Tula, original barrel, with the forend spliced and otherwise as issued besides markings.

Boolit Master

Between my son-in-law and myself we have a few.

Boolit Master

I have one Finn M39 that shoots quite well. It came to me fresh from rebuild. I have shot a lot of jacketed, and a little cast through it.

I have one made by Remington in 1918 that has been in the family a long time, and a 91/59. I also have one of the Polish .22LR trainers, which is enjoyable to shoot.

There are still a lot of them in Russia & Ukraine, as both are using them in their current war. You may see them imported here again.

Boolit Master
    The first M N that I shot was one my dad brought back from Korea in 1951.
    He sold it back in the '70s because he couldn't find hunting ammo for it.
    But I have had over 30 over the years.
    I am down to 4 now that I am downsizing my collection now that I have retired.
    My two favorites that I still have are two 28/30s and a 1891 Finish rebuild.
    I sporterized one of the 28/30s and put a scope on it.
    It is one of my most accurate rifles.

I had three, an M38 that I loved, a 91/30 that was OK, and a 1920 Tula hex 91/30 that was a tack driver. All sold for medical bills. If I had my druthers, I'd have that M38 back. When I had nothing, that little carbine was my defense rifle, and I trusted it.

If your interested in finnish capture rifles check out Doug Bowser's Rifles of the White Death. He lives an hour and a half South of me and is very knowledgeable about them and finnish history with the russians. If you read his books gives you some history of why they joined the axis powers and now want in NATO.
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 07-12-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the next projects is a 91/30 sniper with a PE scope. Need it for an upcoming movie project. I have all of the pieces needed, just need to get going on it. May also do a short side rail 98k sniper - just trying to decide if needing to build on a wartime 98 action or if to make up as a transitional sniper using a WWI action and cut down long barrel. NO, I'm not thinking of taking an existing GEW barreled action and mucking it up, but rather a GEW action and either a 8mm or 7.65mm barrel and building up from there.

Boolit Master

Well. . .missing the opportunity on the Camaro led me to ending up with the Corvette - a basically new Finnish M39 will be coming home shortly.

I've got a couple more in the 91 and 91/30 pattern potentially on the line awaiting offers to be entertained or rejected, but having had my jaw dropped by the range performance of one M39 and by the internal wood fitting of another in the past, I decided it was time to pull my head out of my butt and bring one home.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    If your interested in finnish capture rifles check out Doug Bowser's Rifles of the White Death. He lives an hour and a half South of me and is very knowledgeable about them and finnish history with the russians. If you read his books gives you some history of why they joined the axis powers and now want in NATO.
    I've had Terrence Lapin's collector's guide for well over a decade and have been studying the Finnish sections in prep for this purchase.

If you proceed like many of us gun cranks do and look at the history of the guns and how it relates to their people, then the story of the Mosin in the conflict between Finland and Russia is a pretty fascinating one. The 28/30 and M39 were the full culmination of what you can build with a Mosin action if you take the time to CARE, but equally cool is the fact that the Finns had a less intense program to test out captured Russian rifles to separate which ones were manufactured under the influence of vodka and indifference from those made when the Commissar was actually watching the line. That they either left them mostly alone or modified them incrementally according to their defects speaks volumes about a nation of shooters acting free of bureaucratic red tape.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    My cast bullet moisin is a Finn model 27 that I swapped for over 30 years ago. Lyman 314299 sized to .3135" and 20 grains IMR 4769. Will so 2-2.5" groups when my eyes cooperate. Beautiful bore on this one. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of those rifles in Lapins book are mine, they borrowed for the pics, don’t ask me which ones now I forget lol

I love mosins, being young(36) I got into them when they were cheap($79) when I worked at a gun store, I would order 5 a week and go through them and then buy them for $89OTD so I was buying one or 2 a week. When SOG got something different in or special they would call me and it would be on the next order out, plus when we would visit the In-law I would stop by every pawn shop on the way to Dayton OH and then all of the ones there. I really enjoy Mosins for what they are, they are amazing rifles. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA2B9139-958C-4D05-829B-825202A4A46B.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	302475

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12